Marine depot elite overflow box s

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing a sump on my 37gallon column tank. I have a 10 gallon sump, a marine depot elite overflow box which was rated for up to 90 gallon tanks. The overflow box has a 1in drain and 1in emergency drain. The design is equivalent to the eshopps s overflow box. I was planning on doing 3/4in plumbing for the return. I also have a dcp4000 pump. There’s about 4 1/2 feet of head pressure. I am looking for input as to whether I am going about this the right way. Please give me your thoughts. I am wondering if I made the right choice for the return line as well.
Also, the pump size.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Why MD lists suitable tank sizes but neglects to state capacity in gallons per hour is beyond me.

We know that Eshopps rates the Eclipse S for 660 gph max. I have an Eclipse S paired with a Sicce 3.0 return (714 gph) and I have to use a gate valve to slow it down. Otherwise it would evacuate the return faster than the overflow could fill it.

I would recommend a much slower return pump. I’m only using the 3.0 because my old pump failed and I had it on hand.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think you are fine on all fronts. A 3/4" return is VERY common and even what I have on my 75g. The DCP 4000 is DC so it can be turned way down to match what you are wanting for your flow. I used a DCP-8000 on my 40B with the Eshopps Eclipse S overflow and had no problems.

The worst paradigm to hit the hobby is getting your nutrient levels as low as possible?

• Yes

Votes: 261 53.0%
  • No

Votes: 92 18.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 124 25.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors