Marine depot elite overflow box s

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of doing a sump on my 37gallon column tank. I have a 10 gallon sump, a marine depot elite overflow box which was rated for up to 90 gallon tanks. The overflow box has a 1in drain and 1in emergency drain. The design is equivalent to the eshopps s overflow box. I was planning on doing 3/4in plumbing for the return. I also have a dcp4000 pump. There’s about 4 1/2 feet of head pressure. I am looking for input as to whether I am going about this the right way. Please give me your thoughts. I am wondering if I made the right choice for the return line as well.
Also, the pump size.

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why MD lists suitable tank sizes but neglects to state capacity in gallons per hour is beyond me.

We know that Eshopps rates the Eclipse S for 660 gph max. I have an Eclipse S paired with a Sicce 3.0 return (714 gph) and I have to use a gate valve to slow it down. Otherwise it would evacuate the return faster than the overflow could fill it.

I would recommend a much slower return pump. I’m only using the 3.0 because my old pump failed and I had it on hand.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are fine on all fronts. A 3/4" return is VERY common and even what I have on my 75g. The DCP 4000 is DC so it can be turned way down to match what you are wanting for your flow. I used a DCP-8000 on my 40B with the Eshopps Eclipse S overflow and had no problems.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back