OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my mandarin and clownfish pair have been good I've hardly seen anything on the mandarin and haven't seen a single thing on the clowns. Just woke up and the Gramma isn't doing well unfortunately I don't think he's gonna make it through the day. I have some copper power on hand I don't have a copper tester on hand yet however. What about hyposalinity I heard that works for Ich? And the mandarin maybe able to handle that?
I just ordered a Hanna copper test kit. I'm still torn on what to do with the mandarin I got him eating frozen and he seems to be doing great I'd hate to lose him in the copper treatment. I have a QT it's not setup at the moment. To set it up as soon as possible is it acceptable to transfer 10g of water from my DT to my QT so the temp and salinity is perfect and then just add copper to that. Do I need to acclimate fish if I decide to go with brand new mixed saltwater or do I just drop the right in? Another problem is I habe a vacation planned and I leave the morning of May 7th. I don't have the 76 days to fallow the DT before I leave and I don't have another established tank with a bio filter to move them to while I wait for the DT to eradicate the Ich. Also how long do I treat with copper for? Is it 14 days from the time of no symptoms? Or just do 30 days of copper treatment flat.

OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a Hanna copper test kit. I'm still torn on what to do with the mandarin I got him eating frozen and he seems to be doing great I'd hate to lose him in the copper treatment. I have a QT it's not setup at the moment. To set it up as soon as possible is it acceptable to transfer 10g of water from my DT to my QT so the temp and salinity is perfect and then just add copper to that. Do I need to acclimate fish if I decide to go with brand new mixed saltwater or do I just drop the right in? Another problem is I habe a vacation planned and I leave the morning of May 7th. I don't have the 76 days to fallow the DT before I leave and I don't have another established tank with a bio filter to move them to while I wait for the DT to eradicate the Ich. Also how long do I treat with copper for? Is it 14 days from the time of no symptoms? Or just do 30 days of copper treatment flat. #fishmedic (sorry for the double post! My phone was catching funny and it wasn't showing my previous post)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my mandarin and clownfish pair have been good I've hardly seen anything on the mandarin and haven't seen a single thing on the clowns. Just woke up and the Gramma isn't doing well unfortunately I don't think he's gonna make it through the day. I have some copper power on hand I don't have a copper tester on hand yet however. What about hyposalinity I heard that works for Ich? And the mandarin maybe able to handle that?
Hyposalinity works for ich as well, at 1.009 The problem with mandarins in either copper or hypo is getting enough food to them.
Do you want to post a pic of the gramma so that I can try and confirm ich,? It is very unusual for one fish to have severe ich and the other fish having no spots at all
Jay

OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity works for ich as well, at 1.009 The problem with mandarins in either copper or hypo is getting enough food to them.
Do you want to post a pic of the gramma so that I can try and confirm ich,? It is very unusual for one fish to have severe ich and the other fish having no spots at all
Jay
Like I said the mandarin had a couple but nothing like the Gramma umm I can try and get a picture he's been hiding out in the back of the tank in a real tough spot to see. I'll see if I can entice him to come out with food or something.

OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all this morning he's been laying on the sand. Once I turned the pumps and filters off he came out to eat and ate way more than yesterday spots also look much better but he seems a little discolored. I attached a couple of videos. Also ever since starting this polyp lab medic it seems the water has gone a big foggy I assume due to removing the carbon?

Attachments

• 20230311_134427.mp4
    46.6 MB
OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all this morning he's been laying on the sand. Once I turned the pumps and filters off he came out to eat and ate way more than yesterday spots also look much better but he seems a little discolored. I attached a couple of videos. Also ever since starting this polyp lab medic it seems the water has gone a big foggy I assume due to removing the carbon?
here's the other couple videos it was took large to upload to the site.

Attachments

• 20230311_140142.mp4
    48.8 MB
Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reviewed the whole thread and looked carefully at the new videos - I cannot see clearly defined ich on the gramma. The gramma does look a bit tattered/bedraggled but that can be a result of flukes.
Here is some food for thought: hyposalinity can treat both ich and flukes, so a definitive diagnosis would not be as critical……
Jay

OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reviewed the whole thread and looked carefully at the new videos - I cannot see clearly defined ich on the gramma. The gramma does look a bit tattered/bedraggled but that can be a result of flukes.
Here is some food for thought: hyposalinity can treat both ich and flukes, so a definitive diagnosis would not be as critical……
Jay
Alrighty thanks! I understand it's a tough situation not so sure what to do but I'll come up with something and I'll share more updates as things change. I really appreciate all your help and knowledge. I may just pull him out of the tank tomorrow and do a freshwater dip and see if anything falls off hopefully that'll help me make a decision.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty thanks! I understand it's a tough situation not so sure what to do but I'll come up with something and I'll share more updates as things change. I really appreciate all your help and knowledge. I may just pull him out of the tank tomorrow and do a freshwater dip and see if anything falls off hopefully that'll help me make a decision.

Only one species of fluke will show in a FW dip (unless you use a microscope) so not seeing flukes doesn't mean they aren't there - observe the fish a day or two afterwards, if the symptoms improve, that is a better indication that the fish has flukes and that the FW dip knocked them off.

Jay

OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one species of fluke will show in a FW dip (unless you use a microscope) so not seeing flukes doesn't mean they aren't there - observe the fish a day or two afterwards, if the symptoms improve, that is a better indication that the fish has flukes and that the FW dip knocked them off.

Jay
Alright thanks! I do have prazipro on hand as well just incase, that's reef safe correct?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks! I do have prazipro on hand as well just incase, that's reef safe correct?

Yes - with good aeration. Corals and clams may retract for a bit, but fatalities are rare to non-existent with a proper dose (dose the actual tank volume, net, not the tank's rated capacity, which is often higher)..

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back