Marine marvels: Do you keep uncommon fish in your tank?

Do you keep uncommon fish in your tank?

• Yes, my fish selection is built around uncommon fish.

Votes: 22 8.5%
  • Yes, I have uncommon fish in my tank.

Votes: 89 34.4%
  • No, I only have common fish in my tank.

Votes: 132 51.0%
  • No, I don’t have fish in my tank.

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species is the blue one at the end? Never seen one before.
That was my first Hoplolatilus chlupatyi, my second vanished without a trace a few months ago.
They’re a PITA to come across and even harder to have thrive in a tank as they’re rather jumpy and a lot of the time have swim bladder issues.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Tahiti golden hawkfish which actually does seem to be quite rare in the hobby. I'd be curious to see other people's as well. I remember just seeing one so far, and that was in Chingchai's tank back a decade or more. He's really dark in this pic, but normally more like you see on his tail. I do have an arc eye in the tank too so he may just like to show the darker color to look more dominant. They don't particularly like but tolerate each other. Very cool fish and actually pretty large (~3.5" and huge mouth!).

goldenhawk.jpg

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a marine betta, dwarf fuzzy lion, engineer goby and a saddleback butterfly fish! I also have a sea hare and a horseshoe crab for uncommon inverts.
I had a betta once. I had to trade him in as he got too big and feeding live foods to him got expensive. He was a beautiful fish.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's one of these at my local Petco. Very cool but gets too big for my tank and not reef safe.
Not reef safe?? They are planktivores.
I would say that they need a good amount of space, many many feedings per day, and just general good husbandry to get them eating and not bullied.

Edit: which fish are you referring to?

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine marvels: Do you keep uncommon fish in your tank?

Many reef keepers keep the standard array of fish in their tank including clownfish, damsels, chromis, tangs, common wrasses, and other fish that can be found in nearly every local fish store. However, sometimes we come across unusual fish and, with some research, we are able to add them to our tanks and provide a healthy environment for them to thrive. Please tell us about your experience with keeping fish that may not be considered “mainstream”. Do you keep uncommon fish in your tank?

Pro Tip: Buying an uncommon fish that catches your eye can be very tempting, however it is important to understand their requirements before they are added to the tank so that you can create the space for them to thrive. This includes understanding elements like water parameters, tank size, compatibility with fish and coral, and any other challenges.

SaltyT_Wrasse.jpeg

Photo by @SaltyT

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”
I have two checkered puffers which I think to be pretty uncommon in LFS and online fish stores, although very commonly found in Florida waters, I have one in my FOWLR tank and one in my mixed reef, I think they're nice to look at and full of personality, haven't had any issues with them nipping at corals or eating inverts.

checkered puffers are usually the first fish added to my new tanks because they are very forgiving about parameter swings. does anyone else keep any? in the aquarium they do get to between 4-8 inches and can be aggressive, so either remove them after tank is finally cycled or pair them with other similarly tempered fish.

pictured below is the one I have in my newer mixed reef, this particular tank is less than a month old and it will be a community tank so after the tank is fully cycled he will either be added into my FOWLR or added to my 500 gallon galvanized stock tub that I will be converting into a saltwater pond in the near future.

1685628283183.png

mchans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few fish that most don’t keep in their mixed reef tank. I’ve got two triggers (Niger&Humu) a porcupine puffer and a small school of Australian Stripey.

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not reef safe?? They are planktivores.
I would say that they need a good amount of space, many many feedings per day, and just general good husbandry to get them eating and not bullied.

Edit: which fish are you referring to?
The last in the series. He was eating all the snails.

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Madagascar spotted croucher. He comes out to grab food but otherwise lives in a crevice

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a betta once. I had to trade him in as he got too big and feeding live foods to him got expensive. He was a beautiful fish.
Yeah I live mine! I have him on frozen foods. He is super shy still. Did yours start to swim around more when you were watching? Mine gets scared and hides when he sees me. Had him about 2 weeks now

SaltCreepReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, what was the difficulty with getting food? Live shrimp?
The issue was as babies they only eat Mysid shrimp which are not readily available in MI and ordering them in bulk and keeping a stock of them is difficult because they themselves are cannibalistic. I would order 250 at a time for about $80 and that would last roughly a week. After about 6mo I was able to switch them to marine grass/glass shrimp which was a bit easier. There was a point where all that was available was peppermint shrimp, that was an expensive week of feeding…went through ~50 peppermints in about 10 days!

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few fish that most don’t keep in their mixed reef tank. I’ve got two triggers (Niger&Humu) a porcupine puffer and a small school of Australian Stripey.
Hey, I've been looking into getting a Humu trigger to see how it does in my mixed reef however I have heard that can be pretty risky. How is it working out for you? Have any tips?

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I've been looking into getting a Humu trigger to see how it does in my mixed reef however I have heard that can be pretty risky. How is it working out for you? Have any tips?

I've got a humu and an assassi trigger in my mixed reef and they don't touch any of the corals. There are a few other fish in the tank and they don't bother them either. They will kill anything I put into the tank now that they are very well established though. And I can't have any inverts which is kind of a pain at times. Would be great to throw in an urchin, for example. My advice would be to put the trigger in last, and always keep an eye on it when you're doing something in the tank. I've been bitten a few times! :0) No blood, just a surprise... but they could easily do some damage if they wanted!

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does uncommon count if they’re on the rarer side in the hobby or a PITA to keep alive for many?
If so… Here’s just a few of my many uncommon fish I’ve yet to struggle with but everyone else seems to struggle with or they’re just uncommon and 3 digits.
C27D79B3-A0B9-4CAB-887F-30293DA448E7.jpeg

9CDDC25D-FDC8-4E16-915E-A48CB475BDF4.jpeg

8AFDE061-0142-4A57-AB73-B56FEA353953.jpeg

E124A089-0C0F-40F4-804A-C8C7E7145A64.jpeg

2F76A906-4EAE-4098-B988-804D185527BB.jpeg

E305DDC0-9A42-47CE-9924-CBC9BF62F0EF.jpeg

58A55A8F-C86D-4F2D-88D7-6826DAE2BE80.jpeg

57EE01ED-F8F9-4BA5-A141-14A59AE8444C.jpeg

A4680E75-C727-47C4-AE40-F5073ABBCDF6.jpeg

2BDFB05A-92E1-4A62-96E6-56C977A3D181.jpeg
What’s on the bottom? Jawfish? Blenny?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back