Marine Plants

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me introduce myself first.

At present have no setup, new to saltwater, and would like to start with a planted tank. So was wondering if we have any people on this forum who might be able to give me some direction.

I do have some equipment left over from my days with fresh water planted tanks, and plan to use a 20g long to start off with, basic Bio-wheel filter, buy a power head, and obtain some LR and LS. I have been looking at Tampa Bay Saltwater, as I am very interested in bringing in his LR and LS to make a Gulf of Mexico style tank with plants from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. Finally where there is some room, may place some photosynthetic corals as well as one or two well behaved fish.

I would be interested in any thoughts, good or bad about anything I have told you. Also if anyone has any experience with Macroalgae or marine plants.

One area that I will need some help on will possible be lighting.

Thanks

Bryn

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea, but I have no real experience with a macro algae/region specific tank. I am super interested to see how it comes along though. I would suggest not using a HOB bio wheel filter though. They tend to cause a splash, and you will have salt dried up on everything. The rim of the tank, the wall behind the tank etc. You might want to look into a canister filter. They have a bad rap in the salt side of the hobby, but if they are maintained and cleaned often, they work quite well.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A macro tank is cool idea. Takes care of its own nutrients no need for a filter at all really exept maybe carbon. Lower kelvin bulbs probly t5 be the best for that type of tank. Will require lot of trimming. Gl with research I wanna see it also :)

Seen some before on youtube might check there also

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, its hard to get good responses on the subject.

Not many people have done this, but some of those who have have gotten awesome results.

There is a really sweet thread on this site showcasing some STUNNING macro tanks - some of which I think are cooler than 90% of reefs I see. Not many people do it, and few that do achieve that high degree of sucess like with any other kind of aquarium.

Heres an interesting thread though: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/re...-macro-algae-lovers-rejoice-most-amazing.html

I am eager to see what you do! A "non-traditional" reef with macros and hardier corals inter mixed with non reef safe fish has always been a dream of mine.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:clap2: Alright!! Welcome to R2R!!! And the hobby! You're gonna love it!! I'm sure you'll get all the help you need around here, just ask away!! Good luck, and happy reefing! Oh, and, don't forget to start a build thread when you get started! We love to watch! :D

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it Brandon who was doing alot with macro algaes around the Mid TN area? I seem to remember someone locally who was always selling some really cool red macros. I never could get them as my tangs would gobble them up, but best of luck with it.

welcome to MTRC and R2R

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions, and kind words. I still have a lot of research to do, and fiddling with the tank when I get it up and running. As I said in my first post, the plan is to add corals at some date, but ones that require moderate flow, and lighting. Water chemistry for plants is very similar coral requirements. I would encourage people to check out this website, Gulf Coast Ecosystems.

Thanks

Bryn

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suddenly see in my head a huge separate refugium tank (55 gallon) tied into my main system filled with all these various beautiful macroalgaes.....

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two display tanks, one above the other. Coral and fish on top, with the display refugium below, all plumbed together.

Bryn

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display fuges are Kewl.

Cigar Sherlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to back tanks with no painted rear panels so you can see through and both tanks tend to blend together...that would be a sweet middle of the room display! Or better, just a divider between them in one big tank..4' wide by 6' long....(drool)

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other Kewl thing about display fuges is that you can put sea horses in there. Providing the flow isn't too violent.

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CAULERPA can really be no joke. If you have fish that will eat the variaty that you have growing in your display then every thing is fine but if not.....it can be a mess and a real war(that you will loose). In my experience the LO foxface and by-colored rabbit fish have all eaten the c mexicana but the prolifera is outlawed in california and is no joke. TONS of people have gotten out of the hobby due to that one algae. Just make sure that if you are tying it into your system that you have a natrual preditor in your display. If you get some thing that runs rampant in your tank you might want to start with the natrual preditors.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MC

There is a lot of Caulerpa that is banned in CA, and other states. I read where it has escaped in many parts of the world and has caused problems. There are so many other plants to choose from, I do not plan on having any Caulerpa.

I have been looking at some corals to add to the planted tank, and even though they are not the most fashionable coral at the moment I'm looking at the mushrooms. Most require modest flow and light, easy to propagate so almost all will have been propagated rather than removed from the ocean.

I really like Rhodactis indosinensis, Ricordea yuma, Ricordea inchoata. These might be too adventurous just now, so if anyone has any suggestions on mushrooms, and leathers please jot them down.

Bryn

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to add this link in this thread, rather than the main area. Adding NO3 to reduce PO4 via Macro growth

While doing some study I came across this thread which has at least two braniacs in it. So for any with a refugium who is having problematic algae growth, maybe increasing NO3 to limit PO4 might be the solution. Have a read and decide yourself. Also notice the posting dates for this thread.

If someone on her thinks it is worth while for the whole group to read, then please post as a separate thread. Being new to this board I'm not sure what people are doing or if they would be interested in this thread so will leave it here.

Bryn

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew about dosing no3 with Biopellets to reduce po4 but never heard it done with macro-algae.
But I guess it makes sense since it will grow the macro faster.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 105 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%
Back