Marine Plants

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea algae consumes nit/po4 at a 10:1 ratio called redfield ratio as I recall. I think bacteria might also follow this but I'm not positive. I just use a little gfo to get rid of the excess build up. But adding nitrate can work as well.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been sometime since I started this thread. Life has a way of throwing some interesting problems your way, but it does not mean I cannot stop dreaming.

My dream of a Macro Algae tank is still on going, and has started anew this summer. So far I have tank, light, heater, HOB filter. The next decision is the rock and sand. Not sure to go basic with Caribbean rock from AC, and their bags of live sand, or [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tampa Bay Saltwater rock.

As the 55g is long and narrow, I'm also thinking of a MaxiJet type powerhead on the narrow end, pushing water across the length of the tank and then "rolling" down the other end and returning over the sand.

Also need to get a refractometer. Still a lot of decisions to make. Any suggestions on salt brand, Instant Ocean?

Bryn
[/FONT]

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as rocks and salt go I am pleased with the shapes and sizes of the dry Marco rocks I used to setup my tank and I am also partial to Red Sea Salt.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on the Plant tank build.

I got a tank, a light, and some rock, well about 70 pound of rock. I bought some Instant salt, the reef type in the big box from AC. The owner told me that he was pleased that I had got my tank, and started building the system. Maybe he remembered me from past years of looking and not buying. At least he got some money out of me, most likely won't be the last. Considering the loitering I have done, and the questions I have asked, I suppose they deserve something. Nice toilet they have. I think a decent clean toilet is a good indication of the premises as a whole.

So a 55g, with a 48 inch light, and rock. When I picked up the rock phil gave me enough water to cover the rocks, but just not enough to cover them when I put them in the tank. I was not expecting to buy rocks so quickly, and I still had to clean the tank, and find a space on a work bench in the garage. About an hour later and I had the rocks in place, and the water out of the tote box and into the tank, but some rock was still sticking out. My phone had messed up and was in having the display replaced, so my old phone did not have all my contacts, well all the contacts except the one I needed, the only person I know who has saltwater. I could see him browsing reef2reef, so I sent a PM, inbox full, suck a duck, just my luck. Tried sending a friend request, hoping it would instigate a reply, no. I left two messages on his Wall or what ever you call it, but still no luck. Finally went to the verizon store, to see a mutual friend, he was on vacation. Got a text sent through to the mutal friends work phone, hoping he would reply, no. Well at least I had the salt, went to Wal-Mart, bought distilled water, fifteen gallons of it and started mixing. Got it in the tank, and put the light on top. Played around with the light combinations, sat and looked at it, plane rock with hair algae. I did say I wanted Macro Algae, turned the light off, then on again and looked at it again for a couple of minutes. Then I turned the lights off in the garage, and switched the moon lights on, the atinics, then the whites, then switched them all off, fell over the bike and hit my leg. Time to go to bed.

Need to get some flow going. At present it is a large spoon. Its rather funny to watch an adult canoeing nowhere. Did notice some strange rectangular amoeba like think moving up the glass, along with some worms and other small star shaped objects, also an Amphipod I believe. Finished off my BRS order and got two Maxi-Jet power heads, maybe not the best, but will work to mix salt when I upgrade, as well as a refractometer. Salinity I not sure of, but with only rock in the tank I not too worried. I would have liked to have bought some sand, but maybe I can get some live sand from AC later. I did go to a local fish store in Columbia, was surprised by the amount of Saltwater tanks he has. Noticed he had some Atlantic Coral rock that he had removed from a salt tank two hours earlier. This Atlantic rock had some beautiful red filament type and leather like coral like shape. Had to have it so bought another 40 pounds. Looks like the 20long will have to come out, or I buy another 48 inch long tank from petco at a $1/g.

Brought the new rock home and put it in the tank, fortunately I had enough water to cover the new rock. Still worried about no flow, so rigged up a HOB filter to at least move some water. Pipe was not long enough to reach. Finally got it long enough, but what a racket it made. Wife still does not know I have the tank, and I have not figured out my alibi. I'm thinking of telling her that a guy owed me some money and he gave me the setup. It worked for the guns, why not a fish tank?

Everyone tells you what you need to start a salt water tank, but I'm beginning to think that the first thing you need is water. It sort of stares you in the face, especially when you have a large tank. Maybe the first peice of equipment you buy should be a RO/DI setup, that is the next thing I'm looking for.

I know it does not exist if there are no pictures, but really it is a pile of rocks in a tank full of water on a work bench in a garage, with hair algae. Maybe I can get a picture up.

Bryn

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ac does have a nice bathroom.:bigsmile: One of our members built and installed it.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm guessing my tank has or is finishing the cycle. The rock is from two mature tanks, and was out of water at most two hours so I don't see why it would cycle again. The hair algae is slowly dying, who ever said that three days with no light would kill HA was drunk, pH is dropping, I guess CO2 build up with no light is causing this, and nitrates are now heading from 20 to 40. With nothing but rock, I'm not too worried. I have a high range pH test kit and Nitrate test kit from API, so expect that nitrate will keep going up, will be interesting to see what happens, especially with the lights off. My power heads will not be in until Monday, so I'm still stirring. Also have not been able to check salinity, so I hope it is about 1.021 or a little higher. The refractometer will also be in on Monday so I better study up on salinity adjustments. Just spent the best part of an hour watching BRS videos on two part dosing, Kalkwasser addition, Alkalinity, Calcium etc..

Now that brings me to my next thought. I have been looking at algae, and some of the plants need a high level of calcium, and Alkalinity similar to what some soft corals need. Although BRS has some good videos on test kits, I need a little help from users of Ca, Alk, and Mg. Which company has the easier test to use?

Thanks for the replies in another thread about RO/DI water. I still have not made a decision, but leaning towards the Typhoon III, basically for the ability to pull RO water off to drink. Maybe the other kits also have this feature, or it can easily be added, I'm not sure.

Back to my first thought, the cycle and nitrates, I'm playing a little Russian Roulette, but I'm hoping that the HA a week from now, which would be 12 days with not direct light, will have died off, or on its last strands. Will be interesting to see where the nitrates will be. I was then thinking of adding some macro algae into the tank to mop up the nitrate. The roulette park is an unexpected problem popping up which is worse than the HA.

Had been thinking about adding an air stone to remove some of the CO2, and see how the pH changed. It is interesting to have a situation like this where you can play and not "damage anything", and see what happens, just like a big experiment.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not much has happened, the HA has been sitting in darkness for 4 days, and still does not want to give up. I should change the water and remove some nitrates, but as this is only rocks, I'm watching what happens. I have also bought two 40g breeders from Petco. Now you don't get exactly $1/G prices, as the tax is calculated on the original price at about 9.25% which equals about $20, and you have to be a petpals member which is free to join to get the discount, either way they are cheap. I decided to run two tanks, gives me more flexability, plus the 40g has more width than the 55g. Considering running the 55g as a sump for both 40g tanks.

Caveat emptor. Should have done my research, but did not. Pulled the trigger and bought online a sample pack of macro algae. Not only does the company have a bad reputation, but the contents of the package are not the most compatible. Thankfully I did not place a large order, was looking at buying a lot of other non-essential but just have to have items. Examples would be, feather dusters, pipe organ coral, Ricordea Florida coral, Soft Coralilina Algae Cluster, Rigid Corallina Algae Cluster, the list goes on a little. Anyway I spent most of last night reading through negative reviews, after negative reviews, but one thing began to stick out, someone from the company has started taking responsibility on the online forums, asking people to call and sort out the problems. This did make me feel a little better. Anyway, this morning I received an automated call informing me that my order would ship today, and I had until this evening to change the shipping. I knew the package would not get delivered to the address I had given, as no one is available on saturday. I called a couple of times and finally spoke to a nice lady who has delayed shipment until Monday, hopefully, we will see. The automated message said not to reply to any changes by email, as the package could have shipped before they got to the email. When I called the answering message said it could take up to two business days to reply. That does not help when you need to change an order. At least I have spoken to a live person.

Need to find a place for the 40g tanks, and put in the live and dry sand, along with the LR. Almost decided on the RO/DI, looks like the Typhoon III. Thats about it. Here is a picture of my 55g wrapped.

Tank.jpg

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have seen some gorgeous macro algae aquariums on the Internet but never one in person. I've always thought of making a display refugium with various macro algae but the reef bug bit me and now I'm all about corals. LOL

Good luck. Keep posting your progress.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the following on the way

Red Gracilaria:
Pink Baby Breath:
Portieria:
Red Grape:
Eucheuma:
Red Spicifera:
Gracilaria Hayi
Halymenia Sp.
Botryocladia Sp.
Caulerpa sampler. Needed some green.

Once I have these up and running, I will move to the calcium loving a little later.

Last edited:

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can bump up your salinity to around 1.023-24 instantly. It wont harm live rock.

Test Kits
Hanna checkers for ALK and Phos
Salifert for Nitrate, Mag, Cal

That is what I use. But I like the red sea test kits for alk and cal and mag, but there have been reports of the red sea mag giving higher results than others.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dowtish, Thanks for the info about the test kits. How much easier is it to use the Hanna checker than the Salifert or Red sea test kits? Are the Hanna checkers more accurate, or cheaper to use, maybe you can answer all these questions by just telling me why you bought them?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back