Marine pure block transfer

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently purchased a new tank waterbox 130.4, am upgrading from my waterbox 70.2.

If I was to have bio media like marine pure block in my sump to seed for next couple weeks, by transferring this from the 70.2 to the 130gal will it speed the cycling process up or is it a skip cycle?

Was going to do a large 60-80% water change on the 70gal and transfer that water to the new tank and obviously fill up with new water.

Any assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

Will start a new build thread for the 130.4 tank btw

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed a similar approach to this when I recently made my move from a small IM20 to my slightly-less small IM 30L. I’m not sure if my experience on the smaller side of things applies equally in larger set-ups, but it worked for me just fine.

The small upgrade was completely unexpected (stumbled across a great deal one random weekend) and so I had not been seeding additional media in anticipation for the switch. I had a few small chunks of extra rock in one my back chamber. When I made the switch I did exactly as you described and took virtually all of the water from the smaller tank and put it in the 30g and filled the rest with fresh salt.

I feed very “generously,” and so the nutrient rich water, existing live rock, and also putting the mucky media in my media caddies directly into the new tank was really important to me given I haven’t been seeding additional media. I actually added some new Matrix rubble media shortly after moving everything into the new tank out of concerns about the existing live rock not being sufficient biomedia for the new tank.

I think your plan sounds good to go, although someone may correct me. And your plan is certainly better than mine, because I could have potentially instigated a mini-crash by putting completely new Matrix in the tank!

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just to clarify, I made the tank switch in one day, transplanted everything into the new tank and nothing skipped a beat!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on transferring all the rock, or are you keeping the old tank going? If it’s going to be all new rock, the marine pure blocks would help to skip most of the cycle, maybe all of it, but I wouldn’t stock heavily in the first few weeks. You could add some bacteria to help the new rock get colonized faster (I know some will say this is unnecessary, and it is, but I think I it will speed things up). You’ll still go through all the phases of a new tank (the ‘uglies’, instability, etc), but it should be an insta-cycle in terms of nitrification and allow you to start stocking the tank.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on transferring all the rock, or are you keeping the old tank going? If it’s going to be all new rock, the marine pure blocks would help to skip most of the cycle, maybe all of it, but I wouldn’t stock heavily in the first few weeks. You could add some bacteria to help the new rock get colonized faster (I know some will say this is unnecessary, and it is, but I think I it will speed things up). You’ll still go through all the phases of a new tank (the ‘uglies’, instability, etc), but it should be an insta-cycle in terms of nitrification and allow you to start stocking the tank.
I will be moving 90% of the existing live rock but not till the new tank is up and running, will also be adding new macro dry rock to the tank. About 50% more rock than what I have, however I do have a reasonable large rock that I can transfer but again do want to reshape the design from what it currently is.

Thats why i thought having the marine pure block would create a large surface area for bacteria to colonise before transferring to new tank.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should help a lot. I seeded a large Marine Pure block in my display and cured the Dino’s in my frag tank with it in less than a week.
Ok cool sound like a good start. Will have live rock from my current tank that I've had for 10 months will put this in the sump.

Back