Marine Reef Newbie

Aquashel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

About three weeks ago I decided I wanted to build a Reef Aquarium. I live in an apartment building that doesn't allow aquariums larger than 55 gallons. After looking at my options (budget) I decided to go with TWO Aqueon 40g breeder aquarium as my DTs. I wanted to build a system that will incorporate an Aqueon 20g long aquarium as a sump/refugium for both tanks. I'm toying with the idea of purchasing another 20g long and making that into a holding tank for new fish, coral frags, and other marine invertebrates, possibly using half of it as a second refugium. I will eventually be adding two Penn Plax Cascade 1000 canister filters when I have my tanks fully stocked with fish and other marine life. As I pointed out in the thread title I'm new to this and I don't know anyone in the area that has experience in building and maintaining a reef. I would love to hear from people that are passionate about their reef aquariums. I find myself easily distracted and not being able to focus on just one area of my build. I know this is going to be lots of work, time and money especially. I have also purchase 3 heaters, a steel commercial shelving unit and a RO/DI filter. I keep watching out for specials and sales to help with cost. I'm not in any rush and want to do my reef build correctly so I don't have unnecessary complications later. Thank for reading, I welcome any comments and questions.

J

OP
OP
A

Aquashel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: So the commercial shelving unit I order is on backorder and won't arrive until beginning of April. :(

In the meantime I figured I could work on plumping and water test the 4 tanks. Yes, I decided to go with a 2 tank sump/refugium/quarantine. Both are 20g Aqueon tanks. I will use one tank as a sump and the other will be divided into a refugium and holding (quarantine) tank.

I also need to pickout sand and salt mix for my DTs. I have a couple ideas and would love to hear what you guys think.

Sand Tank 1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VVBEWKG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2LDZGFAGG1QXE&psc=1
Sand Tank 2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00025YVGC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Reef Salt
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DJU0...olid=1R2X1QL3PQA52&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If anyone can think of anything else I can be doing the next 3 weeks let me know. It's going to feel like an eternity waiting for the shelving unit.

-J

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!
I wouldn't recommend a canister filter. They work, I used one on a 55g for a couple years, but are a pain to clean. And they need to be cleaned once a week. Or I should say, should be cleaned that often.
With your 20g long sump, all you do is change out the filter sock(s) and your done.
Also a sump is cheaper than a canister. The biggest expense is a return pump. Those will run about $65 for something like a Jebao DC pump. Not the best on the market, but arguably the best for your money.
Don't forget, you'll need some decent lighting and flow pumps too. So budget for the overall finish and you'll be successful without breaking the bank. That comes later when you start stocking up on corals..:D

Also, search "brstv 52 weeks of reefing" on youtube. This will answer questions you haven't even considered.

David

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aquashel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you HawaiianReef!

I'm only planning on adding canister filters when and if my tanks needs them. I'm probably going to have more fish, coral, and other marine invertebrates than recommended in each DT. I will add things slowly so I can make changes as needed. I plan on having 3 pumps in my sump so I don't want to spend a lot of money on pumps. I think a 200gph pump for each 40g DT and 1 40-60gph pump going to my 20g refugium/holding tank (quarantine) should be enough. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about lighting. I need to keep costs down and since it's easy to spend $200-300 on lighting I will either build my own or start with something cheap, like under $50. I'm not going to add coral until later this summer. At which point I will get something more appropriate for my setup.

I will check out "brstv 52 weeks of reefing" this weekend. I can't tell you how many youtube videos i've watch.. hours on top of hours.

Before I start cycling my tanks I want to install them in the shelving unit I ordered. Fingers crossed they fit!

-J

OP
OP
A

Aquashel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you cracker!

I haven't taken any pictures yet and everything is dispersed around my apartment right now. I will start posting pictures as soon as I start on some of my DIY projects. Hopefully this weekend.

-J

Newreefer94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I also live in an apartment and have a reef tank. Mine is only 30 gallons cause my apartment doesn’t allow anything larger.
427d043055da7560601ddac23282778c.jpg

Back