Marine Velvet High Temp Fallow Period

NigeltheBold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that increasing the temperature during a fallow period can speed things up when treating for ich, but does the same rule apply for velvet?

I believe I also read that velvet spores stop dividing at 86 degrees, so theoretically, this could speed things up.

However, I don't know if corals can survive in 86 degree water. I have mostly sps frags and a small colony of zoanthids. I also have a maxima clam, a tile star and some snails. They're used to temperatures around 80 degrees. If I slowly increase the temp to 86 over several days and leave it there for two weeks, am I going to kill anything?

If I can do two weeks fallow at 86 degrees instead of six weeks, that would be awesome. But I'm not sure how it would affect my corals & inverts.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that increasing the temperature during a fallow period can speed things up when treating for ich, but does the same rule apply for velvet?

I believe I also read that velvet spores stop dividing at 86 degrees, so theoretically, this could speed things up.

However, I don't know if corals can survive in 86 degree water. I have mostly sps frags and a small colony of zoanthids. I also have a maxima clam, a tile star and some snails. They're used to temperatures around 80 degrees. If I slowly increase the temp to 86 over several days and leave it there for two weeks, am I going to kill anything?

If I can do two weeks fallow at 86 degrees instead of six weeks, that would be awesome. But I'm not sure how it would affect my corals & inverts.
The paper is referenced in Noga 2010. He indicates that replication proceeds up to 86 degrees. Most corals will have difficulty adapting to 87 degrees. Additionally, two weeks is just too short of a fallow period, 45 days would be the absolute minimum. I’d go longer if it was a severe infection.

The temperature study was from a French journal in 1986, and I don’t have that reference. It may well be that the tomonts begin multiplying again once the temperature is lowered again.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back