Marine Velvet

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp my first true challenge happened in this hobby and I failed miserably... I did not QT strict enough. I had 5 fish, 2 clowns, firefish, purple dottyback and a royal gramma. I would observe for about a week before moving them to the display. The Royal Gramma was last about 2 weeks ago. The only survivor is a black ice clown (and about 10 snails). Im disappointed but im going to learn from my mistake and have a very strict QT from here on. Can velvet come in on coral? Ive also got some coral that I dont want to lose. Ive not found a difinitive answer anywhere. As a precaution I will also be beginning a QT for all coral arriving. To erradicate all velvet from my display, do I need to remove coral as well? Honestly all the coral look great still and im just not sure how velvet may affect them. Thanks in advance!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not have to remove the coral, you may have to dose nitrates and phosphates so they do not bottom out. All fish have to removed. I’ve been there, it sucks. I had velvet come and hammer my quarantine tank also.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT info on corals and inverts:

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lucky for me high nitrates have not been a problem... PO4 has been around .03 for a while now. Im using Redsea for both but im gonna give Salifert a try because all I ever see is 50+ using Redsea. Even after huge water changes (75+%).

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back