So I recently had Marine velvet and was wondering to have some pointers and suggestions on my copper quarantine for the survivors what I can do to my display tank to prepare for the addition of the livestock in 3 weeks also about quarantining clean up crew should I clean quarantine everything at this point with my 200 gallon I don't want to take everything apart again I've only been in the hobby for about 2 years and after losing my yellow tang with this velvet outbreak I want to do everything right
Some behaviors associated with a fish with velvet are :
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills
Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication such as
copper power at 2.25 monitored by a reliable test kit and No Api either. Although many over-the-counter remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, carefully read the box to be sure it is specifically designed to target Oodinium.