Marineland 300 Gallon DD?????

Dfloydvt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 250 but had a custom stand built that is 43” tall. Stand did have to get put together once inside because of size

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my second Marinland 300 dd first one leaked out the bottom in less than three years.I am a carpenter and that tank was on there stand and was perfectly level.If I knew what I know now probably would have gone with a different manufacturer

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

In short it doesn’t matter, if a tank is custom built, or automated built. Both tanks can fail, due to people just being human. It happens, does anyone plan for it Nope. Every tank is ideally inspected by a set of human eyes.

Because we can not monitor the process 24/7, we may never know there is a failure. We could never know if there is going to be a failure, until it happens. Saying a custom tank is better than a manufactured tank is the same as saying Toyota is better than Nissan. They both have strong points, and week points.

In response to the op, I have never owned one of those tanks. Yet, our local aquarium has several, and since I have volunteered there a lot, there have been no issues. Does this mean if you go buy one tomorrow it will be 100%, (well I sure hope so for your sake, but you just ultimately don’t know). Any tank can fail, it’s a risk we all take getting into this hobby. I have never had the luxury of owning a new large tank. Yet, the ones I have purchased used have been amazing.

Rob.B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

In short it doesn’t matter, if a tank is custom built, or automated built. Both tanks can fail, due to people just being human. It happens, does anyone plan for it Nope. Every tank is ideally inspected by a set of human eyes.

Because we can not monitor the process 24/7, we may never know there is a failure. We could never know if there is going to be a failure, until it happens. Saying a custom tank is better than a manufactured tank is the same as saying Toyota is better than Nissan. They both have strong points, and week points.

In response to the op, I have never owned one of those tanks. Yet, our local aquarium has several, and since I have volunteered there a lot, there have been no issues. Does this mean if you go buy one tomorrow it will be 100%, (well I sure hope so for your sake, but you just ultimately don’t know). Any tank can fail, it’s a risk we all take getting into this hobby. I have never had the luxury of owning a new large tank. Yet, the ones I have purchased used have been amazing.

Well said [emoji6]

Urbanknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rob.B. This is not something that I heard. I owned a ML 300 DD for 3 months before it blew a seal. It was on a ML stand. That's the only way ML will honor their warranty. And they did honor it. I will not purchase another ML tank unless I am prepared to build an adequate stand to support it. I have several friends with 250 DD and 300 DD units. Each of them built their on stands and the longest running one has been up for over 5 years. The issue with ML is not their tanks but their stands. Giving them due credit, they will replace the tank if it ruptures on their stand. So the question becomes if you purchase the tank, are you willing to void the warranty by building your own stand? GL in your search.

OP
OP
Coronus

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting comments. Wasent aware of the possibility that the stand could be at fault. Thank you all for your insight.

Rob.B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rob.B. This is not something that I heard. I owned a ML 300 DD for 3 months before it blew a seal. It was on a ML stand. That's the only way ML will honor their warranty. And they did honor it. I will not purchase another ML tank unless I am prepared to build an adequate stand to support it. I have several friends with 250 DD and 300 DD units. Each of them built their on stands and the longest running one has been up for over 5 years. The issue with ML is not their tanks but their stands. Giving them due credit, they will replace the tank if it ruptures on their stand. So the question becomes if you purchase the tank, are you willing to void the warranty by building your own stand? GL in your search.

If someone’s stand doesn’t fit my needs I defiantly would have no issue building a stand even if it would possibly void out the warranty.

As I stated in my previous posts, I was happy with my ML and never had any issues with it.

And I’m not looking for a tank - Someone else was, I just commented on I was happy with their product.

Have a few friends with ML aquariums and they have not had any issues.

Now I just purchased a Red Sea 650 Peninsula..... Knock on Wood, hopefully I don’t have any issues.

c4249beef53db4b02e84acb3a14b51a8.jpg

Urbanknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. my message was meant for the OP! You'll enjoy that Red Sea. I have a 525 XL that has been up and running going on 18 months.

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running this tank for about 18 months now and am very pleased with it. However, the stand that comes with it is not tall enough to fit the equipment (skimmers, sump, etc.) under it and make access easy. So I had a custom made stand that is taller and better quality materials for the tank and it now works great.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I really hate to comment with such beware- But I as a former pet store owner sold and had high regards for Marineland.
I now know of at least 6 persons who have had larger systems which were leakers ( one with glass literally blown off front of tank). I can also say 4 of 6 reached a settlement with Marineland for replacement cost and/or damaged cause by such instance.
Too many manufacturers out there to just settle on one.
I have a 365g system (just one of my tanks) and I as others have commented CANNOT emphasize the importance of leveling the system and rechecking it every 4-6 months to assure it is level. I learned this the hard way myself once and never want to go thru the nightmare again.

AS OF THIS WRITING - FOR THE RIGHT PRICE, I AM SEEKING AT LEAST A 450G OR LARGER AS I CANNOT HAVE A TANK LARGE ENOUGH IT SEEMS.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the 300DD looks great and has a great price ...but I know 4 people who had one and 2 burst a seam...not going to let one of those in my house even if it was free. Also anything over 200 gallons really should have either aluminim stand, or powdered steel stand. Big tank + floor other than concrete (even reinforced with jacks) + wood stand=asking for trouble

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back