Marinepure Alternative

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add some marinepure to my sump. I see some simliar products online that are half the price.. any experience with the cheaper options of marinepure type media?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi have tried Marine Pure, Brightwell and now Seachem Matrix and they all work

I much prefer the Matrix as its basically stones which will never wear out and it works, Brightwell bricks break up (ive had 6 of them before)

I still have in place a Marine Pure Block but now also 6 litres of Matrix as well.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine pure, brightwell, maxspect, and matrix are all amorphous aluminum silicate aka “pumice stone”. Despite what anyone on here will claim or argue, the data is out there on the manufacturers sites if you look hard enough. The aluminum silicate powder is formed differently by each brand, so the pore structure and overall hardness won’t be equal across the board. But the chemical makeup is the same. Having heard constant complaints of marine pure and brightwell breaking apart to dust quickly, and not hearing that as much about matrix, I went with 4L of pond matrix. It’s surface area is greater than the others as well...and it’s cheaper. Why isn’t it used more? Likely because people tend to buy what bulk reef supply tells them to (and don’t get me wrong I love brs and order from them monthly!), but people tend to look one place for advice and take it without research.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the very useful info. I did some more research on both of your suggestions, and the matrix did stick out to me as the best option. I was wondering about the pond matrix as it was listed as being larger, so I am leaning towards that. I was a bit skeptical because I thought it was for "ponds", but it looks to be the same as the smaller matrix media, just larger? I agree that doing your research goes a long way, and saves you headaches down the road..

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the very useful info. I did some more research on both of your suggestions, and the matrix did stick out to me as the best option. I was wondering about the pond matrix as it was listed as being larger, so I am leaning towards that. I was a bit skeptical because I thought it was for "ponds", but it looks to be the same as the smaller matrix media, just larger? I agree that doing your research goes a long way, and saves you headaches down the road..

Correct pond matrix is simply larger. Identical material and production method. Large pieces should facilitate more anaerobic denitrification provided the flow through is gentle enough. Kudos for actually looking into stuff beyond a single set of recommendations, even if it is my own recommendation you agree with

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used them all as well. I find seachem matrix my choice over the others bc its less expensive, doesnt break apart and easy to shake detritus off.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did read to put it in a low flow environment. I am thinking of lining my refugium floor with it (or in between baffles), as my sump/tank turnover is relatively low. Trying to get off the carbon dosing, and continue to maintain low No3/Po4 (not zero levels, which the carbon dosing seems to be doing)..it is all a balancing act it seems.

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8L of matrix in my 200g tank. I made a "brick wall" out of it by putting it in different media bags and stacking them in the sump. This way the ones on top get higher flow and the ones on bottom get lower flow.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8L of matrix in my 200g tank. I made a "brick wall" out of it by putting it in different media bags and stacking them in the sump. This way the ones on top get higher flow and the ones on bottom get lower flow.
Just put in my order for 4L for my 150g..good idea to make some kind of wall, I may consider something like this.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put in my order for 4L for my 150g..good idea to make some kind of wall, I may consider something like this.
I used some different media bags as well. Some were pretty "open" and had larger holes, I put those on top. I got some smaller ones that were tightly knit and put those on the bottom.

Every couple of months I'll take them out and give em a shake in a bucket of tank water, just to get out any built up detritus.

2BeAlive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the form factor influence the denitrification? I am leaning to Marine Pure block as I thought the bigger "rock" will allow for more denitrification vs Matrix?

Also stack easier, would it help to put it on something to absorb the variations from the pumps.

reefteaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Marinepure for years with good results, but replaced it a year ago with Eshopps Bio-Lux ceramic. It is much harder and durable, with many openings for great flow through. Nitrates remain low and steady as before.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the form factor influence the denitrification? I am leaning to Marine Pure block as I thought the bigger "rock" will allow for more denitrification vs Matrix?

Also stack easier, would it help to put it on something to absorb the variations from the pumps.

Matrix can get clogged with detritus easier. The small size combined with small pores make it easier to clog if not cleaned every so often.

I personally feel for the "more is better" trap when setting up my new system. I had 8 liters of matrix and thought I'll never have nitrate issues. Wrong!! It got trapped with detritus before the bacteria population could grow large enough. Nitrates went through the roof. I ended up having to remove the media rinse and start all over.

I would add the media slowly over time to ensure bacteria colonizes the media.

Just looked at the biolux from eshopps, that looks like a solid choice for media

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine pure, brightwell, maxspect, and matrix are all amorphous aluminum silicate aka “pumice stone”. Despite what anyone on here will claim or argue, the data is out there on the manufacturers sites if you look hard enough. The aluminum silicate powder is formed differently by each brand, so the pore structure and overall hardness won’t be equal across the board. But the chemical makeup is the same. Having heard constant complaints of marine pure and brightwell breaking apart to dust quickly, and not hearing that as much about matrix, I went with 4L of pond matrix. It’s surface area is greater than the others as well...and it’s cheaper. Why isn’t it used more? Likely because people tend to buy what bulk reef supply tells them to (and don’t get me wrong I love brs and order from them monthly!), but people tend to look one place for advice and take it without research.

Following up on this post. Pond matrix still in use in my sump. Hasn’t deteriorated at all after 3 years, and my triton test this month showed zero aluminum and zero silicates

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using pond matrix for a few years now, in reef systems. Never had an issue with it breaking down. I have reused it in different systems as well, after thoroughly cleaning. Never had a nitrate issue using matrix..phosphate is another matter. I place a generous amount in mesh bags in my sump, in moderate flow areas and shake out detritus periodically, in a separate container with tank water. According to the Seachem website, it is completely inert and will not breakdown, and does not need to be replaced. Pretty sure it is just pumice stone. I recently started using marinepure spheres as well in my freshwater tank. This product has alot more dust and fine particles. .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back