Maroon or Ocellaris

Bl00dAngel97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I have my 29 Biocube set up and my salinity and everything is looking good. Now I want to get my firs pair of fish and of course they have to be clowns. I don’t believe a pair of maroon clowns would fit into this tank. Correct me if I’m wrong. I’m trying to decide the way I want my tank to go. I want corals, so I need reef safe. I was looking at dwarf zebra and fuzzy lion fish. And they are really cool. I know I need to use caution around corals with these, but I know they are semi-aggressive as well. So basically I’m trying to decide very peaceful reef, or a little aggression. I know maroons also do better with lion fish. But idk if I can fit a pair in my tank. Please help lol

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of maroons would be pushing it for that tank but would probably be fine if they were the only fish in the tank. If you want any other fish go with Ocellaris. Your tank is not big enough for a dwarf lion so please don’t consider them as a viable option.

OP
OP
B

Bl00dAngel97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of maroons would be pushing it for that tank but would probably be fine if they were the only fish in the tank. If you want any other fish go with Ocellaris. Your tank is not big enough for a dwarf lion so please don’t consider them as a viable option.

Ahhh good to know. This is why I come here :). What are some good suggestions? I love color, and anything really cool. (Like the watchman goby and pistol shrimp symbiotic relationship, or the fact wrasses sleep under the sand or zombie snails rise from the sand)

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bl00dAngel97 welcome to R2R.

Is this the tank you bought 12-27-18? I wouldn't think it would have been through the nitrogen process unless you bought it as an established system with existing live rock and such and would think there would be a cycle of some sorts.

I'd hate to see you lose anything you put in it before it is ready. Could you share your water parameters, please?

Last edited:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Captain said above, make sure it is cycled. What are your parameters?

When you are ready, I would do clowns last. In general you want to stock a tank slowly over time adding the most peaceful fish first and the most aggressive fish last. Clowns are aggressive. They may take over the entire tank and bully new comers.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think a Fu Manchu Dwarf Lion would be fine in a 29. Generally quoted minimum tank size is 30.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a Fu Manchu Dwarf Lion would be fine in a 29. Generally quoted minimum tank size is 30.

The two lionfish he mentioned in his first post both have a recommended minimum tank size of 50 gallons. In regards to the fu manchu lion, it may be ok in a 30-gallon display (with adequate filtration, something I am skeptical an AIO could accomplish well for such a "high bioload" fish), but the biocube 29 is not a 29 gallon display. From what I can find, it is closer to a 21-23 gallon display, which is the number that should be used when researching tank inhabitants.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two lionfish he mentioned in his first post both have a recommended minimum tank size of 50 gallons. In regards to the fu manchu lion, it may be ok in a 30-gallon display (with adequate filtration, something I am skeptical an AIO could accomplish well for such a "high bioload" fish), but the biocube 29 is not a 29 gallon display. From what I can find, it is closer to a 21-23 gallon display, which is the number that should be used when researching tank inhabitants.

An excellent point. My 32 gallon biocube holds 28 gallons of water after rock and sand displacement, but that includes the back chambers.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh good to know. This is why I come here :). What are some good suggestions? I love color, and anything really cool. (Like the watchman goby and pistol shrimp symbiotic relationship, or the fact wrasses sleep under the sand or zombie snails rise from the sand)

I really like gobies and blennies in smaller tanks. Most are usually pretty active and they have great personalities (especially blennies). I would recommend looking at what ORA offers and see if there is anything that jumps out at you.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 45 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back