maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Loki 2902, PokyReefs.
Time to Update this thread.
On Jan 3rd Filled up the tank with Pierres help (Big Thanks to Pierre) Had prepared around 270 G (1000L) of fresh mixed saltwater (mixed it for 2-3 weeks) The rest was collected from my frag tank and Pierres tank to help with Cycle.
Sump and water change tank had been running for more tan 2-3 months now with some of my fish in there.
Water came from the garage downstairs using an Iwaki pump. the flow was excellent and I thought it would cause a huge sandstorm but just by pointing the hose on a rock we didn't get any and water clarity was amazing during and directly post fill.
DSC_9554.jpg

DSC_9555.jpg

Couple of hours after fill up with 1 300W heater added to start heating the water. water was at 53 Degrees F (12 C)
DSC_9568.jpg

DSC_9569.jpg

DSC_9570.jpg

2 days later water was only at 60 F (20C) so added 2 more heaters (total 800 W) and it only rose the water to 75F (24C) due to the coldwave we have the last two weeks. At least this was enough to start water circulation and mix water with water from sump where the fish are...
DSC_9574.jpg

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 6th Jan we had a very nice gathering to start the tank with all 4 reefers involved with this build and our wives for sure.
Big thanks for Pierre youssef and Rae for all the help so far. Without you guys this build wouldn't be fun at all!!!
with the presence of Raed the most fish addict between the 4 of us it wasn't allowed use nets on teh fish...so after I failed to catch them by hand it was up to the person against nets to do it, Weirdly it was a piece of cake for him!!!
DSC_9584.jpg

DSC_9585.jpg

DSC_9586.jpg

DSC_9590.jpg

At this stage we introduced:
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Red Head Solon fairy wrass (Cirrhilabrus solorensis)
The official startup had to wait till 15th of Jan till I trapped the Purplee tang in the frag tank so all tangs got introduced at the same time. At this time my helpers had to assist with the official startup of the tank.
Note the Fish friendly Scoop that I got :D
DSC_9713.jpg

DSC_9716.jpg

DSC_9719.jpg

DSC_9720.jpg

DSC_9721.jpg

DSC_9724.jpg

DSC_9725.jpg

DSC_9729.jpg

DSC_9736.jpg

At this stage the followings were added.
1 Hyppo tang
2 Yellow tank
1 Purple tang
1 Whip Fin Fairy wrass (Cirrhilabrus filamentosus)
1 Stocky Anthias (Pseudanthias hypselosoma)
1 Fire shrimp.
All above were fish I had in teh old tank except for the Purple tang and the whip fin wrass which were bought months ago...

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Looks so good. That pic of the cabinets with the tank are incredible.

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on an absolutely amazing set up! Great to see some live stock going into the tank! Will be following along to see it progress further. Again, you have done a fantastic job with your entire project! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on an absolutely amazing set up! Great to see some live stock going into the tank! Will be following along to see it progress further. Again, you have done a fantastic job with your entire project! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks.
Progress will have to wait for the cycle to finish now. I'm hoping it'll be a minimal cycle as the sump was running with fish and LS LR in it for some months.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for some fish pics.
Luckily since introduction the tangs have been behaving, the only fights that happened is continuous fighting agains their shadows the first few days.
The back Rt corner was the most common site for those fights not sure if the overflow behind the acrylic is adding to the reflections...
Only wish I had the remaining tangs on my fish list for a one time introduction...
DSC_9757.jpg

One lone Stocky anthia, many others to join when tank passes the initial period.
DSC_9961.jpg

Whip fin wrass. Always putting on a heck of a show of colours and shapes by stretching and fighting with its reflection wish I didin't lose the female.
DSC_9957.jpg

DSC_9917.jpg

DSC_9883.jpg

DSC_9841.jpg

Hyppo tang,
This fish was huge in my old 150G, now it's just a tiny fish.
DSC_9934.jpg

The yellow tangs:
DSC_9932.jpg

DSC_9906.jpg

Purple tang
DSC_9940.jpg

And all three schooling:
DSC_9892.jpg

Solorensis wrass
DSC_9938.jpg

Fish don't look their best as they've been through a tough move followed by months in the sump. I'm sure in few weeks with TLC they'll look much better.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to add more fish but I'm still afraid the tank could undergo a bigger cycle that I want and additional fish wouldn't help.
so far the only thing I'm getting is mild diatom bloom on the rocks, was afraid the ceramic will leach phophates and silicates and get covered with more alga but so far they're very similar to dried LR even the large piece I couldn't cure...
DSC_9768.jpg

Yellow tangs and purple tang are doing a good job picking on the diatoms.
DSC_9795.jpg

DSC_9800.jpg

DSC_9796.jpg

DSC_9797.jpg

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st Feeding wasn't the usualy Frenzy these fish would usually have at feeding time, and even after 2-3 weeks the fish ain't aggressive on feeding as they used to be. Not sure if they gott he habit of being surrounded with food in the holding tanks and sump!!
DSC_9875.jpg

DSC_9877.jpg

DSC_9878.jpg

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to end the FTS for Jan 2012
Not much but a tank with few fish but it's been some time without a tank running at home and it just feels good to be able to look at some fish swim finally.
DSC_9784.jpg

DSC_9967.jpg

DSC_9772.jpg

DSC_9783.jpg

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
Been on the look for a nice Purple tang for years. Had one which didn't make it a year ago and this one looks like what I always wanted.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looked at the tank yesterday around midnight just before going to bed and noticed a big load of floating debris in the water, turned on the moonlights and on closer look I thought it was a new hatch from my maroon clowns (now in the sump!!!)
DSC_0352.jpg

Picked up the camera and grabbed a few shots (used my 50mm 1.4 with 3 extension tubes 60mm in total) didn't have my tripod and macro rail but I still got lucky with the following shots.
On closer look it seems these are from my fire shrimps. Jsut hoping some of them will make it, still I think they have a very difficult larva stage as well as the tank being new so lacking all phyto and zoo planctonic matter.
DSC_0362.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0357.jpg

Love this shot the most
DSC_0346.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back