OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I worked on finishing up the structural sides of things on the build. First I got the stand built in the sump room to hold the 125g sump and the 2 90g on top. We built the stand in place to account for the not straight wall (house not what we built) and for the slope of the garage floor (only about 3/4 inch across span) its also attached to wall.
20190304_174245.jpg

The top shelf is all sistered 2x6 and there's a sistered joist in center as well to prevent any sagging. There will be one more leg going in after the sump is in to sperate the sump area and then the power/calcium reactor area on thethe left side. The sink is going all the way on the left and has a shelf above it which I will probably build into a cabinet.

Next we got started on the canopy. The tank is going to be full floor to ceiling.
20190304_171849.jpg

With just about 3 feet above tank I didn't want to set that on the tank itself so I hung it from the ceiling.
20190304_174443.jpg

The entire canopy frame never touches the tank which I thought would be good to have a gap to allow for the house expanding and contracting with summer/winter and this way its not squeezing the glass.
20190304_174432.jpg

The gap, along with the black trim will be covered by the skin which I will be building tonight/tomorrow.

After that I get to paint everything (sooooo excited for that -___-) luckily I get to recruit my girlfriend to help with that fun portion ;) (thanks @Dyanna Diaz ) and start installing tanks/plumbing.

Also behind the tank I have a decent amount of room to work from so I will be building a platform back there so I can stand on it to work in tank.
Here's a picture of the area, with max keeping watch out the window.
20190304_174456.jpg

He's soon gunna lose his favorite spot to bark at the mailman, lol.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I worked on finishing up the structural sides of things on the build. First I got the stand built in the sump room to hold the 125g sump and the 2 90g on top. We built the stand in place to account for the not straight wall (house not what we built) and for the slope of the garage floor (only about 3/4 inch across span)
20190304_174245.jpg

The top shelf is all sistered 2x6 and there's a sistered joist in center as well to prevent any sagging. There will be one more leg going in after the sump is in to sperate the sump area and then the power/calcium reactor area on thethe left side. The sink is going all the way on the left and has a shelf above it which I will probably build into a cabinet.

Next we got started on the canopy. The tank is going to be full floor to ceiling.
20190304_171849.jpg

With just about 3 feet above tank I didn't want to set that on the tank itself so I hung it from the ceiling.
20190304_174443.jpg

The entire canopy frame never touches the tank which I thought would be good to have a gap to allow for the house expanding and contracting with summer/winter and this way its not squeezing the glass.
20190304_174432.jpg

The gap, along with the black trim will be covered by the skin which I will be building tonight/tomorrow.

After that I get to paint everything (sooooo excited for that -___-) luckily I get to recruit my girlfriend to help with that fun portion ;) (thanks @Dyanna Diaz ) and start installing tanks/plumbing.

Also behind the tank I have a decent amount of room to work from so I will be building a platform back there so I can stand on it to work in tank.
Here's a picture of the area, with max keeping watch out the window.
20190304_174456.jpg

He's soon gunna lose his favorite spot to bark at the mailman, lol.

Nice, looking good!

Like the pup too!

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the sides and face on both the canopy and the stand. I used 1/2" maple plywood to skin everything.
20190304_230212.jpg

I also added the all important beer shelf to the front of tank ;)
20190304_230145.jpg

I will add a piece of 1/4 round on top of shelf to cover rest of bottom trim.

Tomorrow I'll build the doors and head to Lowes to get trim pieces to finish the edges/hide gaps and pick out some hardware. Plan to have it painted by end of weekend so I can begin plumbing!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the sides and face on both the canopy and the stand. I used 1/2" maple plywood to skin everything.
20190304_230212.jpg

I also added the all important beer shelf to the front of tank ;)
20190304_230145.jpg

I will add a piece of 1/4 round on top of shelf to cover rest of bottom trim.

Tomorrow I'll build the doors and head to Lowes to get trim pieces to finish the edges/hide gaps and pick out some hardware. Plan to have it painted by end of weekend so I can begin plumbing!

Cool! I'm guessing you're going to build the doors on the hood to open upward with the hinges on top. Either that or you're going to use some big hinges with reinforced doors to prevent sagging.

Oh, and what are you planning on using to seal inside the stand and hood?

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I'm guessing you're going to build the doors on the hood to open upward with the hinges on top. Either that or you're going to use some big hinges with reinforced doors to prevent sagging.

Oh, and what are you planning on using to seal inside the stand and hood?

I had originally planned on having flip up doors but because its so tall once I put step later in front and simulated working on tank I realized I needed the doors to be open all the way to the top, so the canopy will have two sets of "French doors" one set for each opening allowing maximum working area. The doors will be shaker style built from 1x pine board with 1/4 maple inserts and about 22" wide so they will be very light. I will get some decent hinges to hold up over time.

As for sealing, I plan to use oil based white gloss paint on inside of canopy, this should seal it good and also reflect light. Inside of stand im just gunna paint the same white im using on stand in sump room...there will be no water under tank itself. I will add a vent on either side to allow air flow above tank. The outside will be eggshell finish white cabinet paint for canopy and stand, this way the tank will be focal point of wall with white top to bottom against the carbon grey that's above chairrail (as if it wasn't already the focal point lol).

Also, after getting this much done and again, simulating working in tank I realized my idea of a motorized light rack is just unnecessary..with the mouting height I'd only be raising it up and down a couple inches so that's pointless. Another after thought Is since I have soooo much light going in here (8 ocean revive/ 8t5) I can just have them mounted higher in canopy so they will be out of way...this new idea also makes my light mounting setup MUCH easier and also much cheaper, which at this point is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had originally planned on having flip up doors but because its so tall once I put step later in front and simulated working on tank I realized I needed the doors to be open all the way to the top, so the canopy will have two sets of "French doors" for each opening allowing maximum working area. The doors will be shaker style built from 1x pine board with 1/4 maple inserts and about 22" wide so they will be very light. I will get some decent hinges to hold up over time.

As for sealing, I plan to use oil based white gloss paint on inside of canopy, this should seal it good and also reflect light. Inside of stand im just gunna paint the same white im using on stand in sump room...there will be no water under tank itself. I will add a vent on either side to allow air flow above tank. The outside will be eggshell finish white cabinet paint for canopy and stand, this way the tank will be focal point of wall with white top to bottom against the carbon grey that's above chairrail (as if it wasn't already the focal point lol).

Also, after getting this much done and again, simulating working in tank I realized my idea of a motorized light rack is just unnecessary..with the mouting height I'd only be raising it up and down a couple inches so that's pointless. Another after thought Is since I have soooo much light going in here (8 ocean revive/ 8t5) I can just have them mounted higher in canopy so they will be out of way...this new idea also makes my light mounting setup MUCH easier and also much cheaper, which at this point is very much appreciated.

It's going to be nice!

Hey, are you planning on putting some type of filter in the register above the tank to keep possible contaniments out?

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be nice!

Hey, are you planning on putting some type of filter in the register above the tank to keep possible contaniments out?

I didn't not plan on doing that with vent.. I don't really see it being an issue..what types of contaminants are you thinking of?

I figured in summer it would be pushing cool air in canopy and thus pushing hot air out side vents, and in winter either leave it same or close vent off.. Could double as a helping hand in tank temp regulation?

I appreciate you engaging the build! I need all suggestions and thoughts From other eyes as I can get..its easy to get tunnel vision on a project this big lol.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't not plan on doing that with vent.. I don't really see it being an issue..what types of contaminants are you thinking of?

I figured in summer it would be pushing cool air in canopy and thus pushing hot air out side vents, and in winter either leave it same or close vent off.. Could double as a helping hand in tank temp regulation?

I appreciate you engaging the build! I need all suggestions and thoughts From other eyes as I can get..its easy to get tunnel vision on a project this big lol.

I was just figuring something simple like cutting down a furnace filter. It certainly wouldn't hinder air flow but would help in keeping some dirt, debris, hair, etc out of the tank. I've cleaned out some air ducts and the amount of dirt and who knows what that is in them is surprising. Especially in older homes. Just a thought for a simple preventative possibility.

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just figuring something simple like cutting down a furnace filter. It certainly wouldn't hinder air flow but would help in keeping some dirt, debris, hair, etc out of the tank. I've cleaned out some air ducts and the amount of dirt and who knows what that is in them is surprising. Especially in older homes. Just a thought for a simple preventative possibility.

Well that Is a good idea for sure! I could get a filter to cut and put in there. I appreciate that!

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute, Sierra Nevada makes a DOUBLE IPA? What?!?!?!
Oh, and nice tank and stuff.
Haha they make LOTS of double IPA. This one came in a variety pack with 4 types of IPA. I'm a big sierra Nevada fan..my normal go to with them is TORPEDO which is also a double IPA. STONE brewing is another favorite of mine:)
Beer is one of my many other hobbies, I have a 2 tap kegerator in the garage and we regularly homebrew. Its quite rewarding catching a buzz off of something you made yourself, LOL!

OP
OP
Mshort03

Mshort03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another long day of progress. Got all the doors built for the stand and canopy
20190305_192931.jpg

Use my router table to add to the overall look instead of plain square edges. I left one edge straight to allow for a place to mount the hinges.
20190305_192917.jpg

I also made another trip back to Lowes to get some trim and finish up thethe look of the stand and canopy. I'm happy with the way it looks:)
20190305_170254.jpg

20190305_170305.jpg

After all the wood work was done I got started on painting. My wonderful girlfriend, @Dyanna Diaz painted the stand in the sump room
20190305_210122.jpg

While I got the inside of the canopy painted 2 coats as well as the back of the canopy doors
20190305_204858.jpg

20190305_204854.jpg

..have I mentioned yet that I seriously hate painting?..

Will get outside of cabinet painted over next few days and hopefully start working on some plumbing this weekend. Were just about to the fun part guys!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another long day of progress. Got all the doors built for the stand and canopy
20190305_192931.jpg

Use my router table to add to the overall look instead of plain square edges. I left one edge straight to allow for a place to mount the hinges.
20190305_192917.jpg

I also made another trip back to Lowes to get some trim and finish up thethe look of the stand and canopy. I'm happy with the way it looks:)
20190305_170254.jpg

20190305_170305.jpg

After all the wood work was done I got started on painting. My wonderful girlfriend, @Dyanna Diaz painted the stand in the sump room
20190305_210122.jpg

While I got the inside of the canopy painted 2 coats as well as the back of the canopy doors
20190305_204858.jpg

20190305_204854.jpg

..have I mentioned yet that I seriously hate painting?..

Will get outside of cabinet painted over next few days and hopefully start working on some plumbing this weekend. Were just about to the fun part guys!

Man, it's really looking nice and coming together well! Going to be wet before you know it too!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha they make LOTS of double IPA. This one came in a variety pack with 4 types of IPA. I'm a big sierra Nevada fan..my normal go to with them is TORPEDO which is also a double IPA. STONE brewing is another favorite of mine:)
Beer is one of my many other hobbies, I have a 2 tap kegerator in the garage and we regularly homebrew. Its quite rewarding catching a buzz off of something you made yourself, LOL!

Oh right. I love the Torpedo as well.
7D5919B3-5E71-4B15-AD04-FFBEFB8B5457.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh right. I love the Torpedo as well.
7D5919B3-5E71-4B15-AD04-FFBEFB8B5457.jpeg

"One of these things is not like the others..." and I'm wondering what it's doing in there with the others?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few friends that just like the consistency of Budweiser. I agree that everywhere I have been, Budweiser tastes the same. I like it fine if I am having more than one or two. I always start with the good stuff of course.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back