Masochist Clownfish

Hross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This crazy clownfish has been annoying our yellow watchman goby relentlessly for several days. He also seems to be trying to mate with every other fish in the tank except his clown mate (and she’s really pretty!). Seriously, they are paired. They make a sand bed in the corner every night and cuddle. Anyway, the other fish are slightly annoyed but YWG is having none of it. No matter how many times he gets bitten the clown keeps going back to YWG’s cave. See video, this goes on all day. Do I need to intervene?

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This crazy clownfish has been annoying our yellow watchman goby relentlessly for several days. He also seems to be trying to mate with every other fish in the tank except his clown mate (and she’s really pretty!). Seriously, they are paired. They make a sand bed in the corner every night and cuddle. Anyway, the other fish are slightly annoyed but YWG is having none of it. No matter how many times he gets bitten the clown keeps going back to YWG’s cave. See video, this goes on all day. Do I need to intervene?
I love this video! This guy is getting owned!

Looks like a very new tank and new fish. The challenge right now is the clowns haven't hosted anything yet so she is territorial. I would say leave them alone and let them work things out. As you progress the tank and the clowns have something to host like another coral, anenome, or an odd rock they take a liking to...they will have clear boundaries.

OP
OP
H

Hross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response wclulver. Yes, new tank. It's a 125g so you'd think they could find a spot and leave poor YWG alone. I'm slowly adding corals. I put a fluffy xenia near their corner but they aren't interested. Well good to know this seems like normal clown stuff. Good that YWG doesn't have big teeth:face-with-hand-over-mouth:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience, my two were hosted by the return nozzle in the upper left corner for a year and a half. Then they decided that my duncan was going to be their host.
87518717-5CFC-436A-ACCD-911F60272035.jpeg

OP
OP
H

Hross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kev, I love that pic and I'm going shopping for Duncans! There must have been some drama during the night because Crazy Clown is harrasing everybody except YWG today. The interesting thing is YWG has come out of his cave and has an attitude. I wish I could have gotten the video for y'all but he grabbed a cerith snail, shook it like mad and chucked it in his cave. I would have felt bad if I didn't know the cerith can just submerse and get away. But it was so funny to watch because he was so serious about it:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:.

OP
OP
H

Hross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, YWG won. I’m sad to report that crazy clown died this morning. As you can see in the video he just would not leave YWG alone. It’s almost like you can see YWG saying “don’t make me keep biting you man, I’m gonna have to spit sand at you too!” It seemed to have stopped yesterday so I thought they had worked it out. But I found him gasping on the sand this morning just before he died. All the other fish are fine and water tests good. His skin was pretty bitten up so that must’ve been it. RIP little crazy clown

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, YWG won. I’m sad to report that crazy clown died this morning. As you can see in the video he just would not leave YWG alone. It’s almost like you can see YWG saying “don’t make me keep biting you man, I’m gonna have to spit sand at you too!” It seemed to have stopped yesterday so I thought they had worked it out. But I found him gasping on the sand this morning just before he died. All the other fish are fine and water tests good. His skin was pretty bitten up so that must’ve been it. RIP little crazy clown

Sorry for your loss! Wow, that clown was obsessed!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back