OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah turn them both off for today. Test again tomorrow.
Thanks for helping me. What do you think about me setting up a small tank with fresh made water to hold my affected corals in until this stabilizes? I am literally watching them die day by day.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for helping me. What do you think about me setting up a small tank with fresh made water to hold my affected corals in until this stabilizes? I am literally watching them die day by day.
Any time! I think a brand new system would be risky, your call though. Get your nitrate up then do some large water changes. I just don’t want your nutrients to bottom out, that would be bad. What test kits are you using? Salifert?

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time! I think a brand new system would be risky, your call though. Get your nitrate up then do some large water changes. I just don’t want your nutrients to bottom out, that would be bad. What test kits are you using? Salifert?
My nitrate test kit is a Nyos. For alk I have a Hanna checker.

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a FYI, do your dosing during the day. Mid-afternoon preferably after corals have consumed some of the vital elements. At night the consumption of calcium specially is decreased significantly; if you are dosing at night this can cause big swings because none is being consumed until the next day, keeping your levels elevated for several hours. Better yet, dose multiple times a day. I dose 12 times a day, every hour while lights are on.
Just wondering...what kind of timer do you have that can dose many times per day?

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a bubble magnus doser bm-T11
Ok...can’t afford that one, lol. But I’m gonna try to find one that’s more flexible than half hour intervals. Doser has been completely off for two days...today alk is 8.9. Probably would have dropped more but realized after changing a bunch of water that my makeup water had an alk of 10! With everything closed, plus living on the side of a mountain far from everything I guess my best bet is just to wait it out. It just kills me watching all my carefully picked coral just melt away. What’s the likelihood that affected corals will regroup once the numbers are better....who knows. I can only wait it out.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...can’t afford that one, lol. But I’m gonna try to find one that’s more flexible than half hour intervals. Doser has been completely off for two days...today alk is 8.9. Probably would have dropped more but realized after changing a bunch of water that my makeup water had an alk of 10! With everything closed, plus living on the side of a mountain far from everything I guess my best bet is just to wait it out. It just kills me watching all my carefully picked coral just melt away. What’s the likelihood that affected corals will regroup once the numbers are better....who knows. I can only wait it out.
8.9 is a good level. Yeah wait it out and see. I would order an ICP test too like someone suggested early in the thread.

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test is on its way! Alk down to 8.6 today, nitrate up to 7-8. Phosphate 0.07.
Alk 7.9. Nitrate and phosphate stable. Now have to think about how to restart dosing....obviously going to dose during the day instead of nights. BRS confirms the soda ash and calcium solutions are ok to dilute to desired concentration...but hopefully won’t have to if I can find a timer that will dose in more frequent, small amounts. I do have this timer on hand...dual output so would dose ca and alk at the same time, just as I was doing before.

55CDAB84-0037-4387-A4D3-E51DED4C0E2B.jpeg

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 7.9. Nitrate and phosphate stable. Now have to think about how to restart dosing....obviously going to dose during the day instead of nights. BRS confirms the soda ash and calcium solutions are ok to dilute to desired concentration...but hopefully won’t have to if I can find a timer that will dose in more frequent, small amounts. I do have this timer on hand...dual output so would dose ca and alk at the same time, just as I was doing before.

55CDAB84-0037-4387-A4D3-E51DED4C0E2B.jpeg
I was thinking three five minute intervals at like, 1100, 1400 and 1700. My BRS doser supposedly delivers 1.1ml per minute. That’s just to start with.

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to think I‘ll have to move it all again in a couple months when our house is done! At least I’ll just be moving down the mountain a bit and not cross country. I’ll be upgrading from an 80 gal cube to a 90 (low iron glass) with t5/ LED hybrid lighting (from just LED). Looking forward to the brand new tank since in the year and a half that I’ve owned low iron glass I’ve experienced every possible way that it can be scratched. There’s quite a few, lol! ;Bored

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking three five minute intervals at like, 1100, 1400 and 1700. My BRS doser supposedly delivers 1.1ml per minute. That’s just to start with.
Figured out timer, lol! Now dosing alk and calcium in 3 seven minute intervals at 1100, 1400 and 1700. That’s BRS calcium and soda ash on BRS dosers. Today my alk is 7.6, nitrate 7 and phosphorus is 0.13. Last calcium check was 417 a couple days ago. PH stays at 8.1-8.2.
Unfortunately, the devastation to my chalices, favia and others continues. Chalices are pretty much gone...favia shrinking from the outside in. My beach bum monti ( pretty much the most I ever paid for a single coral)...toast. Unexpectedly my few SPS, which I thought would suffer the worst, seem to maybe be improving a bit! Completely not affected: Duncans, alveopora, mushrooms and zoas. Also not fish or inverts. So the numbers are better but most corals are not.
ICP test was sent off yesterday. Not sure what to do next....if I had more aquarium acquaintances here in CO I would ask someone to take a few of the remaining favia temporarily to try to save them. But since we just moved here that’s not an option. Any thoughts appreciated.

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP results are back and I’m not getting it at all! I’ve been thinking all along that my high alk and low nutrients are to blame for my coral die off... but my nitrate came back at 121 mg/ liter!! My testing via Nyos test kit are between 8 and 9. I had another old salifert kit which showed 0. Luckily the ICP test didn’t show anything weird like any metals. So I’m not sure what to do now....can my test kits be that far off? Could some other factor cause the ICP test to be off? Corals continue to die at an alarming rate.

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP results are back and I’m not getting it at all! I’ve been thinking all along that my high alk and low nutrients are to blame for my coral die off... but my nitrate came back at 121 mg/ liter!! My testing via Nyos test kit are between 8 and 9. I had another old salifert kit which showed 0. Luckily the ICP test didn’t show anything weird like any metals. So I’m not sure what to do now....can my test kits be that far off? Could some other factor cause the ICP test to be off? Corals continue to die at an alarming rate.

8654CAF7-9DFE-4410-81E9-E13F438B494E.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back