Massive Algae Bloom in Water Column

zromano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, having a big issue here and really don't know what else to do. I have a large algae bloom in my water column and don't know how to resolve it. I've done everything from water changes to a pure lights out situation for 3 days. My most recent effort has been to add vibrant to the water but alas nothing has worked. I'm getting worried at this point. I have tried the "be patient" method and clearly it hasn't worked. I need some suggestions please.

Working on getting a photo added right now.

OP
OP
zromano

zromano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, having a big issue here and really don't know what else to do. I have a large algae bloom in my water column and don't know how to resolve it. I've done everything from water changes to a pure lights out situation for 3 days. My most recent effort has been to add vibrant to the water but alas nothing has worked. I'm getting worried at this point. I have tried the "be patient" method and clearly it hasn't worked. I need some suggestions please.

IMG_5515.jpeg

ENVY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just happened to me a week ago, maybe even worse. Bought a 24w uv sterilizer, 3 days it took to fully return to normal. Simple soild and proven solution if you have have about $60ish to spend.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Be careful with vibrant, I nearly killed all of my stony corals once by using the dosage the manufacturer recommended. I don't use anything in a bottle anymore to fix algae. A uv sterilizer will most likely help but as Frtdrmrose7 asked, where are you getting your water?

Biocube32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it looks to me like you have a biocube, if so, the 9 watt green killing machine is a good option as it's hard to find many uv sterilizers that will fit anywhere in the tank
This would be my first thought. Wonder why it happened though

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bacterial bloom.. get a cheap small UV, problem solved. The little Green machines are about $35 on eBay and will work perfectly on your Biocube.

2AAC82FD-7AA7-4CD7-A806-853E8B8F71E0.jpeg

OP
OP
zromano

zromano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses everyone, super helpful. Here’s some info:

I’m getting my water directly from the LFS as I’ve found my PH is slightly off on tap water. Salt water for water changes is coming from there as well.

My plan:
After hearing all the feedback I just purchased a UV Sterilizer online. It’s the innovative marine 11w so it might not fit perfectly in my biocube but if I have to I will remove my slimmer for 2-3 days to get this water clear. It was only $60 and ultimately quickly solves a problem in the short term. If it’s not able to fit in the tank I will be buying one of the smaller ones that was suggested.

This doesn’t come until Monday so unfortunately I’m going to have to manage this as well as possible through the weekend. My goal in the interim is a 50% water change to get things further under control and stem the bleeding until Monday night when the product comes in.

Let me know everyone’s thoughts, I appreciate all the feedback previously provided.

OP
OP
zromano

zromano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses everyone, super helpful. Here’s some info:

I’m getting my water directly from the LFS as I’ve found my PH is slightly off on tap water. Salt water for water changes is coming from there as well.

My plan:
After hearing all the feedback I just purchased a UV Sterilizer online. It’s the innovative marine 11w so it might not fit perfectly in my biocube but if I have to I will remove my slimmer for 2-3 days to get this water clear. It was only $60 and ultimately quickly solves a problem in the short term. If it’s not able to fit in the tank I will be buying one of the smaller ones that was suggested.

This doesn’t come until Monday so unfortunately I’m going to have to manage this as well as possible through the weekend. My goal in the interim is a 50% water change to get things further under control and stem the bleeding until Monday night when the product comes in.

Let me know everyone’s thoughts, I appreciate all the feedback previously provided.
Actually, just canceled that order and grabbed the little green machine because I’m certain that will fit in my tank and still come by Monday. Plus it’s cheaper.

Biocube32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, just canceled that order and grabbed the little green machine because I’m certain that will fit in my tank and still come by Monday. Plus it’s cheaper.
Good call, also petco may stock these if you have one near you i think

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back