Matching a wood finish on stand

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SC Aquariums American Gray stand. I'm looking to make an equipment cabinet you place next to it to store my calcium reactor, peristaltic pump and various other small thing. Can anyone give me advice on how to match this finish? I'm assuming its pine that had a wire wheel or brush taken to it before paint. Any other ideas?
20181219_143817.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SC Aquariums American Gray stand. I'm looking to make an equipment cabinet you place next to it to store my calcium reactor, peristaltic pump and various other small thing. Can anyone give me advice on how to match this finish? I'm assuming its pine that had a wire wheel or brush taken to it before paint. Any other ideas?
20181219_143817.jpg

I think you may be right about the wire brush. The color looks to be mate. Tone of Gray might take some experimenting to find the right one.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181219_143817.jpg

It looks to be rough cut 1"x X lumber to me. You can pick up rough cut lumber at Menards or Home Depot. If they don't have what you're looking to get, take the picture to a local lumber yard/wood shop and ask if they van get it.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear to be rough or resawn lumber, which hd may carry some, but I prefer actual mill yard.

I'm sure SCA could tell you what stain they are using, but you could try some samples and I'd probably start w/ minwax classic grey, which would probably be fine.
All lumber will accept stain differently so expect some variation.

HD also now sells some pre-stained distressed looking lumber, maybe check for that too.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 39 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back