Math/plumbing question

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what rating (GPH) return pump to get for my sump. I need one that is able to output 200 GPH through 3/4 of an inch pipe. it needs to lift the water about 45 inches. I am assuming that there is some kind of a math equation that you can use to figure this out but I have absolutely no idea what the answer is and I have spent around 20 minutes searching and I have yet to find any kind of a equation or answer. Some help would be greatly appreciated!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what rating (GPH) return pump to get for my sump. I need one that is able to output 200 GPH through 3/4 of an inch pipe. it needs to lift the water about 45 inches. I am assuming that there is some kind of a math equation that you can use to figure this out but I have absolutely no idea what the answer is and I have spent around 20 minutes searching and I have yet to find any kind of a equation or answer. Some help would be greatly appreciated!
I have one of these pushing 275 gph thru 1" pipe, same lift.
Make sure the drain can handle your 200 gph.

OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these pushing 275 gph thru 1" pipe, same lift.
Make sure the drain can handle your 200 gph.
Do you think that may output more than 200 GPH? my overflow cannot handle more than that.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would match the overflow bulkhead size, the tank is 30 gallons in the sump will be 10 gallons
Make sure the pump fits in the sump.
200 gph seems ok. Could go down to 150 gph. Just make sure you have good flow with a powerhead in the tank.

OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the pump fits in the sump.
200 gph seems ok. Could go down to 150 gph. Just make sure you have good flow with a powerhead in the tank.
I have a 500 gph powerhead, so that would be 700 gph total. Should that be good?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500 gph powerhead, so that would be 700 gph total. Should that be good?
Depends on the powerhead and manufacturer. Some stretch their specs.
I have an mp10 on my 20g that works great to supply 6 inches per sec of wave flow. I have the mp10 set 5s on then 5s off at 50%. I can watch the mp10 turn on and eyeball the time it takes the corals to start waving/moving.
There's a sweetspot for water motion and nutrient uptake, if that's interesting.
I like the wave as not constant to dislodge particulates

Killingtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the equation you are looking for is called head pressure. You need to put together a plan for your plumbing then look for a pump that will give you the GPH you are looking for AFTER deducting a few things. You know you have to lift the water 45", so that is almost 4' of head pressure. Then add head pressure for any barbed fittings, gate valves, check valves, 90* elbows, 45*elbows.

I think it goes as follows;
45* elbow - .5'
90* elbow - 1'
gate valve - .5'
ball valve - .5'
barbed fitting - 1'
10' of horizontal pipe - 1'
1' of vertical pipe - 1'

Don't worry about the 3/4 pipe. That can push up to 1,380 GPH, and drain up to 780GPH per
http://calctool.org/CALC/eng/civil/hazen-williams_g
Of course, this is in perfect conditions so your results will be different.

Pistondog has given you good advice though. I'd go with a DC return pump. That way you can easily tune it to EXACTLY what you need without overwhelming your overflow.

Clear as mud! Hope I helped and didn't confuse you more.

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use a chart like this and then add a little more height for the fittings and you will come close
DC-Pump-Curves-600.jpg

OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the equation you are looking for is called head pressure. You need to put together a plan for your plumbing then look for a pump that will give you the GPH you are looking for AFTER deducting a few things. You know you have to lift the water 45", so that is almost 4' of head pressure. Then add head pressure for any barbed fittings, gate valves, check valves, 90* elbows, 45*elbows.

45* elbow - .5'
90* elbow - 1'
gate valve - .5'
ball valve - .5'
barbed fitting - 1'
1' of vertical pipe - 1'

Don't worry about the 3/4 pipe. That can push up to 1,380 GPH, and drain up to 780GPH per

Pistondog has given you good advice though. I'd go with a DC return pump. That way you can easily tune it to EXACTLY what you need without overwhelming your overflow.

Clear as mud! Hope I helped and didn't confuse you mor

45* elbow - .5'
90* elbow - 1'
gate valve - .5'
ball valve - .5'
barbed fitting - 1'
1' of vertical pipe - 1'

Clear as mud! Hope I helped and didn't confuse you more.
This definitely helps, I really appreciate the advice!

Back