OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an update, I have been monitoring alk and adjusting CalRX dosing accordingly. I started at 10 ml and I'm now at 20ml. To say the least, I'm really looking forward to the Trident which comes in on Saturday.

Also, I was looking at my tank yesterday and something caught my attention. As you already know I have diatoms in the tank as a result of a new tank. (It's going away) However, I noticed that it was not waving around in the current, and there were a lot of bubbles that were not moving. Which got me thinking I don't have enough flow in the tank. So I cranked both Gyres up 100%, the algae in the center of the tank was still not moving. That is even with both of the Nero 5 I have on the back wall running at 100 percent. I'm thinking about getting several MP40's, or a couple of mp60's, what do you all think?

In addition, I have noticed that my nitrates are starting to climb again, which I think is a good thing. This time I'm not going to panic and do a large water change. Instead, I have ordered more OGO from BRS. I got a small amount so that way it will grow, and affect the nutrients slowly. I don't want to create a large swing in nutrients. Let me know what you think?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an update, I have been monitoring alk and adjusting CalRX dosing accordingly. I started at 10 ml and I'm now at 20ml. To say the least, I'm really looking forward to the Trident which comes in on Saturday.

Also, I was looking at my tank yesterday and something caught my attention. As you already know I have diatoms in the tank as a result of a new tank. (It's going away) However, I noticed that it was not waving around in the current, and there were a lot of bubbles that were not moving. Which got me thinking I don't have enough flow in the tank. So I cranked both Gyres up 100%, the algae in the center of the tank was still not moving. That is even with both of the Nero 5 I have on the back wall running at 100 percent. I'm thinking about getting several MP40's, or a couple of mp60's, what do you all think?

In addition, I have noticed that my nitrates are starting to climb again, which I think is a good thing. This time I'm not going to panic and do a large water change. Instead, I have ordered more OGO from BRS. I got a small amount so that way it will grow, and affect the nutrients slowly. I don't want to create a large swing in nutrients. Let me know what you think?

Well I never claimed to be an sps pro but I can give you some observations. I sold off all of my LPS and cranked flow a few things happened-
1. Polyp extension became much better over a period of 2 weeks and continues to be great.
2. Nutrients naturally lowered and my filter socks were full a day earlier alone with much less detritus on the bottom of the tank.
3. I started using more alk

Take it with a grain of salt but those are my observations, I personally believe different pumps with random flow is much better than a couple large ones running higher percentages.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got areas with no flow, you definitely need more pumps. Also, gyres need at least fortnightly cleaning to keep their flow rate up. Three pumps mp40's or similar along your back wall would help.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got areas with no flow, you definitely need more pumps. Also, gyres need at least fortnightly cleaning to keep their flow rate up. Three pumps mp40's or similar along your back wall would help.
Well I never claimed to be an sps pro but I can give you some observations. I sold off all of my LPS and cranked flow a few things happened-
1. Polyp extension became much better over a period of 2 weeks and continues to be great.
2. Nutrients naturally lowered and my filter socks were full a day earlier alone with much less detritus on the bottom of the tank.
3. I started using more alk

Take it with a grain of salt but those are my observations, I personally believe different pumps with random flow is much better than a couple large ones running higher percentages.
I think you have convinced me I'm getting more flow. Like I stated I have the 2 nero5 on the back wall but to be honest with you I'm not all impressed with the flow they generate. I'm not sure what all the hype is about.

Also I tested the alk on the reactor, and the hanna said it was at 20, I'm wondering if the hanna can go higher then 20.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have convinced me I'm getting more flow. Like I stated I have the 2 nero5 on the back wall but to be honest with you I'm not all impressed with the flow they generate. I'm not sure what all the hype is about.

Also I tested the alk on the reactor, and the hanna said it was at 20, I'm wondering if the hanna can go higher then 20.
After doing some research I was correct, the max it goes is 20 DKH, So I need to find another tester to test the effluent in the reactor. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some research I was correct, the max it goes is 20 DKH, So I need to find another tester to test the effluent in the reactor. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Dilute it with RODI as long as the alk of the RODI is negligible, that’s how I always did it when I had one

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Hydrored mentioned, you will need to dilute it with RODI. You should be easily seeing 50 - 70 dKH in your effluent. Mine has tested between 90 - 110 dKH in the past after purging. Though I don't expect it runs that high typically.

I would suggest 2 ml of effluent and 8 ml of RODI and then multiply the result by 5.

Dennis

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Hydrored mentioned, you will need to dilute it with RODI. You should be easily seeing 50 - 70 dKH in your effluent. Mine has tested between 90 - 110 dKH in the past after purging. Though I don't expect it runs that high typically.

I would suggest 2 ml of effluent and 8 ml of RODI and then multiply the result by 5.

Dennis
I will try that tomorrow. Thanks

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the trident in today
1630200533841.png

I was surprised, I have been dosing 40 ml's of effluent, and my alk is still going down

I also found the source of the leak on my reactor.
IMG_0927.jpg

I also made progress on the ATO but i will post pictures when i get it done.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the reactor is leaking from somewhere else. At this point I’m ready to toss it in the trash.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at new calcium reactors. I'm currently looking at a

OCTO Reef Octopus CR220 (CalReact) Calcium Reactor w/Varios 6 Pump​

What do you all think?

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the the reactor is back online, I'm not holding my breath for it not leaking. I'm sure I will wake up to another puddle tomorrow. LOL

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at new calcium reactors. I'm currently looking at a

OCTO Reef Octopus CR220 (CalReact) Calcium Reactor w/Varios 6 Pump​

What do you all think?

I don't have experience with calcium reactors, so I'll leave advice for which one to others. But the varios pump has a reputation for reliability so that's a plus.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does everyone get thier filters for the RODI units. I get about 200 gallons before I have to buy new ones. I was watching reef builders and they were getting 5000 gallons per filter change.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does everyone get thier filters for the RODI units. I get about 200 gallons before I have to buy new ones. I was watching reef builders and they were getting 5000 gallons per filter change.

As I'm in Australia, where I get mine won't help you. (Shipping would be ridiculous.) But which stages of your unit are exhausting that quickly, what is your tap water TDS and what stages does your unit have? Might help out to work out a better solution for you.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm in Australia, where I get mine won't help you. (Shipping would be ridiculous.) But which stages of your unit are exhausting that quickly, what is your tap water TDS and what stages does your unit have? Might help out to work out a better solution for you.
My TDS coming in is about 230. After watching ReefBuilders episode where he talked about his water I decided to get carbon blocks from somewhere else. I also ordered a new membrane.

For the first time ever, I woke up this morning to a dry floor under the calcium reactor.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into Geos calcium reactors. They are quality product IMO
If this reactor gives me any more trouble I will. I just don't think I will get my money back from AE, therefor I'm going to make it last as long as I can. But yes GEO is certainly one I'm going to be looking at. I have one of their Kalk reactors.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back