OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving day for the tank, and I'm worried because I don't feel ready. I wish I had more time.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be more time for wishing you had more time Matt! Just do it and get it over with! (As long as you have everything in place to do it safely and with enough lifting force!)

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank move went alright, but there is still a long way to go. They started moving the tank at 11 and didn't finish until after 6. When everything was moved, I was tired and wanted to go home. So I plugged in the heater, temp controller, the return pump, and a big fan point on the sump. I have a vent on order for the room that will monitor them and humidity.

When they cleaned the sump, they found two bobbit worms, one over a foot long. Unfortunately, they didn't say a word to me until after they were buried in the sand bucket. I would have loved to get a picture.
IMG_0155.jpg

It turns out I'm very much like Tim Taylor. I measured and measured, and the stand was too long, and the shelves I wanted to put the sump on were a 16th of an inch too short. Thus, I had to put the sump on the floor. In addition, I checked the stand's level many times; however, when the tank showed up, it was no longer level and needed to be shimmed. Sorry, I thought I had more pictures. I will post some this weekend or Monday.

Oh No Ugh GIF by Laff

IMG_0156.jpg

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbit worms! :eek: Thank goodness they've been found!

As for the measurements and levels. You'll get them right next time!

You're making progress, that's the important thing!

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbit worms! :eek: Thank goodness they've been found!

As for the measurements and levels. You'll get them right next time!

You're making progress, that's the important thing!
The idea of having to do this again terrifies me. :p

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did manage to take one picture tonight. I got the lights on for the most part. Since the temp of the water is running a little higher, I have reduced the intensity of the lights. So the tank has lights flow, heat, and a skimmer. Tomorrow, the new vent should be in, and the rest of the medicine for the Achilles pop eye. I forgot the filter socks at the other house they will get installed tomorrow.
tankroom.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very sad day.

I went and fed the fish last night; everyone looked happy and healthy. My wife went home during lunch, and all the fish were dead. I have no idea why. There was no sign of disease or parasite. I don't know where to go from here

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very sad day.

I went and fed the fish last night; everyone looked happy and healthy. My wife went home during lunch, and all the fish were dead. I have no idea why. There was no sign of disease or parasite. I don't know where to go from here
As it turns out, my two clown fish survived, a small glimmer of hope. I and the rest of the family have decided to get more fish.
Here is what I think happened. However, this is mainly just a theory. When we moved the tank and had them take all the sand out of the sump, they also did a rather significant water change. I meant to go and get some Turbo Start; however, I never got the chance. I think there was no longer enough nitrifying bacteria, thus resulting in a significant amonia spike.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went out of town this weekend, and it was Friday that I realized I had no ATO and no one to come and fill up the tank. So, on Friday after work, I had about twenty minutes to devise a solution. So out came the drill; I quickly ran some RODI tubing and put in a float valve. So I didn't take a picture.

Last week I also switched over to a Jebao pump. It seems to be working great.
IMG_0172.jpg
Then I noticed the area around my 100-gallon Rodi reservoir was wet. Since I was going out of town, I have not had a chance to figure out where it is leaking from. I'm assuming it is where the sensor is installed.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I did an update. The tank went by the wast side when most of the corals and almost all the fish died. While looking at the tank one day, I noticed a lot of hair algae, thanks to all the utility fish dying. So I thought I would order some snails from Reef Cleaners; I ordered a couple of hundred snails, only to find out a week or two after putting them in the tank, just about every single one of them had an Aptasia on them. My tank is now covered in Aptaisa. That will be the last order I place with them. So I called Marine Collectors, and switched out the Naso tang I ordered for a Copper band, then ordered a Lemon Peel from TSM.
Yesterday, I thought I would pull out some algae; 5 pounds of algae later, the tank is looking better.
IMG_0358.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse for a bigger tank if ever I saw one!
I wish I had room for a bigger tank. LOL Perhaps the wife will like the fish so much that she will agree to a bigger house and tank. (Not going to hold my breath) She did say that she likes the Achilies more, but I think that is just because she misses that fish.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank room looks like a tornado blew through it several times. Almost none of my automation is hooked up. Most of my equipment is still sitting in boxes. There is so much to do I'm unsure where to start, so nothing ever gets done. Soon enough, I will have so many Aptasia that I won't have to worry about filtration. I must say those snails are going to town; just in the few weeks they have been in the tank, they have made a remarkable difference. They have completely replaced all the hair algae with Aptasia.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed your sad news update somehow. Sorry about that Matt.

The absolute finest algae mgmt fish in my tanks are One Spot Fox faces. I keep two in my big system. Voracious fish. Nothing as pretty as the Dussumieri (wow!) but ideal utility fish. Just watch those dorsal spines.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed your sad news update somehow. Sorry about that Matt.

The absolute finest algae mgmt fish in my tanks are One Spot Fox faces. I keep two in my big system. Voracious fish. Nothing as pretty as the Dussumieri (wow!) but ideal utility fish. Just watch those dorsal spines.
I had a magnificent Foxface, and I think he did a OK job. However, he wasn't very nice to other fish. So I will look for a One Spot. Thank you for the advice.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank room looks like a tornado blew through it several times. Almost none of my automation is hooked up. Most of my equipment is still sitting in boxes. There is so much to do I'm unsure where to start, so nothing ever gets done.

Pick what is the one thing that is most important to set up. Forget about all others for now. Set that as the first task to do and work on that one thing until it is done.

Repeat this process one by one. Setting just one task per day/week, whatever time frame you can manage.

Before you know it, you'll look back and it's all done.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick what is the one thing that is most important to set up. Forget about all others for now. Set that as the first task to do and work on that one thing until it is done.

Repeat this process one by one. Setting just one task per day/week, whatever time frame you can manage.

Before you know it, you'll look back and it's all done.
That is a good idea; I focused on power heads and broke two today. However, it's still nice to get some work done. I think tomorrow I will work on pulling things out of boxes and start organizing what I need and don't. I need to clean up the mess before I can do anything else. Also, I think the Dumasarri tang is coming in tomorrow. I thought the Lemon peel would ship today. However, they stated it would not be out of quarantine until the 20th. I can only hope that Copperband starts getting really hungry. He has enough food to last him a long time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back