OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the wife agreed, so I ordered a new Achilles tang from Marine Collectors. Believe it or not it was her idea. She wants to get all the fish in about the same size and about the same time so that way there’s less aggression. The fish I put in today caused no aggression at all in the tank. It was like they we’re long lost friends.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home and found my Orange Shoulder tang dead. I'm starting to get very concerned. I have hundreds of dollars' worth of fish in the tank and on the way. I really don't want to lose any more fish. I added some carbon to the tank. I'm going to the store to get some Purit, and some salt to do a large water change. Any other suggestion. all the fish look to be in great health. I don't know what is going on here. I now want to get the UV back online.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some polyfilter pad in there. If it's metals, the pad will change colour. If it doesn't, you can eliminate that possibility from the list of potential issues and move on.

A possible cause of sudden unexpected fish loss is constipation. If they don't get enough algae/nori in their diet it can happen. Another thing to eliminate as a potential issue.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some polyfilter pad in there. If it's metals, the pad will change colour. If it doesn't, you can eliminate that possibility from the list of potential issues and move on.

A possible cause of sudden unexpected fish loss is constipation. If they don't get enough algae/nori in their diet it can happen. Another thing to eliminate as a potential issue.
I went to Petco looking for some Poly pad, and they didn't have any, and they didn't have any Purit. I will continue to look for it. I'm going to Walmart first thing in the morning and look for it. I do have ROX Carbon running on the tank right now. I know I have some here at the house, I can't find it right now.
All the other fish appear to be in good health; I even turned up the airflow on the skimmer just in case oxygen levels were running low.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, so far, no more dead fish, and for that, I'm very happy. I have lost too many fish, and I never want that to happen again.
1707019152762.jpeg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finding another dead fish, the other fishes are acting really weird. I did an almost 200-gallon water change. The fish are acting a lot more normal. I don't know what was in the water. I didn't put anything in there. I'm wondering if there was a pest or something that died during the move and released toxins in the water. I can't think of any reason that water would have an issue.

ryanrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finding another dead fish, the other fishes are acting really weird. I did an almost 200-gallon water change. The fish are acting a lot more normal. I don't know what was in the water. I didn't put anything in there. I'm wondering if there was a pest or something that died during the move and released toxins in the water. I can't think of any reason that water would have an issue.
One thing after another..

Maybe a couple of black mollies could help with algae and show that the tank is safe for some of these more pricey fish.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing after another..

Maybe a couple of black mollies could help with algae and show that the tank is safe for some of these more pricey fish.
I really wish I had seen this coming. I had two clowns in the tank, and they didn't seem stressed at all, so I didn't think there was a problem. In hindsight, I should have done a large water change before I got any fish. I really didn't think it was necessary. I'm just glad there is a long delay between now and when new fish arrive. The fish in the tank are acting normally and eating well. I hope there will be no more dead fish. I'm already planning another large water change next weekend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not lost any more fish; I think doing 2 200 gallon water changes resolved whatever the problem was. I have ordered replacement fish. I hope they come before two long. I don't want territory problems again. My wife has told me no more fish for now since we have spent over 1k on fish in the last few weeks, and I agreed. I love this hobby, but at times, I really question why. All my MP60 wet sides are broken in one way or another, and I'm tired of replacing them. I was super gluing one together the other night. I'm considering going with the thrusters or trying out the Neptune Wave pumps. I'm not sure at this time.
IMG_0371.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unsure how, but I'm finding bits of acros I thought were gone. Today, I found a small piece of Grafted Bonzi growing in one of the crevices of a rock. Others that I thought would die any minute are starting to grow again. I'm literally doing nothing with the tank that would justify corals growing like they are.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up the small tank and seeing how good the sand looks and the way it brightens up the tank, I'm seriously thinking about adding some to my tank. No decision has been made.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unsure how, but I'm finding bits of acros I thought were gone. Today, I found a small piece of Grafted Bonzi growing in one of the crevices of a rock. Others that I thought would die any minute are starting to grow again. I'm literally doing nothing with the tank that would justify corals growing like they are.

The water changes you did probably brought a heap of parameters back in line for coral growth.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water changes you did probably brought a heap of parameters back in line for coral growth.
Completely agree. However, the corals have been growing ever since the move. My montipora has tripled in size, the one SPS that survived has also doubled in size. My Goni has gotten larger as well.

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pfew. I just read this entire thread. what a roller coaster.

First, I am sorry about the moves, and the fish loss, those are super hard to deal with but it sounds like you have an amazing and supportive family and that means the world.

I'd definitely get the UV hooked up, get the ATO working, get the skimmer running, and the lights on there, get a lot of flow going, and then just let it sit for a bit and settle.

I used a lot of MP60s on my last 400. I will say this, I bought an ECM63, and you think it is way overpriced and it probably is, but nothing moved water like that. My buddy is still using it today. Rock solid, amazing flow. I am building a new 300 now, and might get another because they are epic. I just wish they didnt cost a small car.

Keep your chin up on your reefing journey and know that we are all pulling for you!

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pfew. I just read this entire thread. what a roller coaster.

First, I am sorry about the moves, and the fish loss, those are super hard to deal with but it sounds like you have an amazing and supportive family and that means the world.

I'd definitely get the UV hooked up, get the ATO working, get the skimmer running, and the lights on there, get a lot of flow going, and then just let it sit for a bit and settle.

I used a lot of MP60s on my last 400. I will say this, I bought an ECM63, and you think it is way overpriced and it probably is, but nothing moved water like that. My buddy is still using it today. Rock solid, amazing flow. I am building a new 300 now, and might get another because they are epic. I just wish they didnt cost a small car.

Keep your chin up on your reefing journey and know that we are all pulling for you!
The tank has calmed down, and the fish are doing great. I just got the new Achilles tang in from Marine Collectors today, and the wife put him in the tank because I'm not home right now. The only thing is that the tank is covered in this macroalgae. Here is a small amount I took out last night. I could have easily filled the five-gallon bucket but ran out of time before needing to put the kids to bed. However, the wife told me that Achilles went straight for it when placed in the tank for the first time. So, hopefully, he can help me keep it at bay.
IMG_0439.jpg

I was also able to do some much-needed maintenance on the Trident. I was surprised by how much easier it was than I thought. I have been kicking that can down the road for a while.

IMG_0386.jpg

I still need to cut the hole in the wall, speaking of kicking the can. It just seems like a lot of work.

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am preparing to cut some holes in the wall myself, to run dedicated circuits to the tank and a couple of water lines. Definitely does seem like a lot of work!

I hope your achilles eats that algae, but if not, consider a bariene tang, my last one was amazing and ate every algae in the tank, absolutely awesome fish.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read your thread and I feel the pain of moving. I moved 3+ years ago and set up a temporary 120g system u til I built a new tank. 2 crashes later because I never automated the tank as it was “Temporary” and a trip to WCC last month and me and the wife have decided to buy the same tank you have. What overflow option did you go with and what are your overall thought on the tank. About to order and pay for mine this weekend so feedback on anything you would have had them change would be great. ~ Len

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still need to cut the hole in the wall, speaking of kicking the can. It just seems like a lot of work.

Get yourself a stud finder so you know where to avoid cutting in. Drill a hole into the drywall going just through and large enough to insert a keyhole camera and have a look around inside to make sure you aren't going to hit studs, wires or pipes.

Then a jigsaw to cut the hole you want. If you are going through the other side, start with a drill hole from the inside, after checking it's all clear on the other side. Once you've drilled from the inside, you can go around the outside to use the jigsaw to cut the hole.

Not as much work to do as it is to read or write about it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back