Matty's Dream 120g Build

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, time for another upgrade and probably the last for awhile. Lol found guy selling an Oceanic tech 120g tank with some equipment on FB for $700. Got the approval from the boss as long as it looked good and clean so drove over to Orlando to pick it up. On the way there after getting on I4 my tire decided it had enough and blew out while going 65mph. We were about 8mins and an exit away from the tank. That held us up for about 90mins lucky the guy was cool about it and started breaking down the tank by himself. Got a used tire and Finally got to loading everything up and on our way home. Here's a few pics of the tank as it sat as a freshwater tank. Lots of vinegar and some elbow grease got it looking pretty good I think.

IMG_4630.JPG

IMG_4632.JPG

IMG_8585.JPG

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4682.PNG

IMG_4683.PNG

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display: Oceanic tech 120g 48x24x24
Lighting:Hamiltion Bali sun pendent luxcore adjustable ballast 250w radium bulb
4 sunblaster fixture with Ati blue+ bulbs
Filtration:40g breeder 10g refugium
Reactor:2 brs media reactor one with aquaforest phosphate minus and carbon if I need it.
Skimmer:Rlss r8i with waveline 6000
Circulation: Jebao ow-40, ow-25, & rw-4
Return pump: Wave line 12k
Heater: Finnex 500w titanium
ATO: tunze 3155
Doser: aqua medic evo 4

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Stock​
Fish List:
  • Phantom clown pair
  • Springer damsel
  • Chromis
  • Vlamingii tang(RIP)
  • Yellow eye kole tang

LPS:
  • CB flamethrower chalice
  • JF my Miami chalice
  • Toxic pie chalice
  • Pink ******* chalice
  • 3g mummy eye chalice
  • Pink eye watermelon chalice
  • Rasta eye chalice

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now let the build begin. Lol I bought a sheet of plywood from lowes to redo the base on the stand. Going to silicone the edge and paint it all white with kilz.
just order new bulkheads, starboard, true union ball values, and blue light dj switch off amazon and ordering new rodi filter, frag disk, and ice cap salinity checked off marine depot.
Only thing left are powerhead(jebao pp8 or 15) and skimmer which I'm thinking of ordering the cloud 9 off reef breeder. It's on sale for $220 and know it's a bubble magus knock off so shouldn't be to bad. Getting all the plumbing and sand if I go that route. Should be a fun week for me.

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, worked some on the floor to the stand. Took the old bottom out and replaced and caulked the bottom to make it semi water proof. Today I'll paint the inside with kilz and wash out the 40g breeder I'll use for the sump. Thinking I'm going to order the cloud 9 today and give it a try. Should be good for the tank. And then I'll be able to make the sump and after that I'll be able to move the tank and stand inside for finally resting place.

IMG_4686.JPG

IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4693.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

IMG_4698.JPG

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start!

I _love_ white inside stands. My 60 cube was the first I'd ever done that with, and I'll never own another tank with an under stand sump that isn't white. Rustoleum Topsider, works great!

Amazing how fast those factory stands rot. Rusty hinges, finish peeling off, top getting soft... I just can't imagine why the big tank makers can't put a good coat of something waterproof over their stands... maybe even use coated or decent grade stainless hardware. Eh, who am I kidding. I haven't bought a factory stand in decades :)

The standard 120 is an excellent size. Enjoy :)

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good...following >>>>>
Thanks. It's been fun so far. The wife's been helping out trying to get this set up already. Lol she wanted it up the day I bought it. Lol
Looking good! What are you planning on putting in there?
Planning on mix tank shrooms, ton of zoas, lps, and when it matures starting going the sps route. But you really knows. Lol
Nice job with the stand and tank.
Thanks I ended up painting the outside white as well. The inside loooked so good with a new coat of paint decided to do the outside as well. Only took 3-4 coats to do. Lol
Great start!

I _love_ white inside stands. My 60 cube was the first I'd ever done that with, and I'll never own another tank with an under stand sump that isn't white. Rustoleum Topsider, works great!

Amazing how fast those factory stands rot. Rusty hinges, finish peeling off, top getting soft... I just can't imagine why the big tank makers can't put a good coat of something waterproof over their stands... maybe even use coated or decent grade stainless hardware. Eh, who am I kidding. I haven't bought a factory stand in decades :)

The standard 120 is an excellent size. Enjoy :)
Yea tell me about it. I would imagine they have to barge ya another arm and legs if they did
great tank I have it in the 90 gallon have looked for years for the 120g to no avail
Thanks.

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got the outside of the stand painted white as well. After seeing the inside with a new coat figure the outside needed freshing up as well. Took about 3-4 coats to paint it but looks great. Here's the resting place for it. Got the starboard in a day early so got that cut and installed. Wish I did a little better job but it'll have to do. Still may play with it some. Also went to ace hardware and got my baffles cut for the 40b just need to decide on a skimmer so I can glue them in place. Hopefully next weekend I'll have her wet and cycling.

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_4730.JPG

IMG_4731.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the weekend came and went way to fast. lol didn't get anything done with the tank but did finish our semi remodel of the master bathroom so that's completed. Until the next Wifey project. Should be able to get some stuff done week and hoping to have her wet this weekend or really close to it. I did order a few things yesterday and going to try and get the rest of the stuff today so I'll be done besides going and getting plumbing.
Dr foster had some aquaforest stuff on sale so ended up getting big bottle of Aquaforest pro bio s, Aquaforest bio s, and 2 of the Aquaforest stone fix to make my aquascape. Also went ahead and ordered the rlss r8i skimmer so that's done. Now just the long wait till it gets here.

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, small update got the starboard installed and silicone the edges all around. Wish I did a lil better job but oh well. Lol petco had the 40 breeders 50% so bought a new one and going to try and set the one that's drilled up as a frag tank next to the 120. Would be nice to have the extra storage room. Ordered up the rest of the stuff I'll need for the tank. 4 t5 sunblaster fixture, electrical strip to try and hide wires, few more true union ball values, frag disk, and a fire 7 for the display for apex I got a killer deal on. Now I can sell the 2 apex jr and get the apex basically free. Lol today I'll probably get the baffles in the new 40 and start looking st the rock to aquascape. Only thing I'll need are 2 blue+ and 2 coral+, few media reactors, and doser.

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yesterday I got the baffles in the 40g breeder. It was nice having the skimmer here to make it pretty easy on making that section. Wife wanted to move the tank to another wall so ended up doing that and it looks pretty well. Plus, it'll awhile me to make a 40g frag tank next to the 120. Also bought a back up skimmer a reef octopus sro 3000 for a great price.

IMG_4811.JPG

IMG_4829.JPG

IMG_4830.JPG

IMG_4831.JPG

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back