Matty's Dream 120g Build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Lilmatty5dimes, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes Valuable Member

Well, time for another upgrade and probably the last for awhile. Lol found guy selling an Oceanic tech 120g tank with some equipment on FB for $700. Got the approval from the boss as long as it looked good and clean so drove over to Orlando to pick it up. On the way there after getting on I4 my tire decided it had enough and blew out while going 65mph. We were about 8mins and an exit away from the tank. That held us up for about 90mins lucky the guy was cool about it and started breaking down the tank by himself. Got a used tire and Finally got to loading everything up and on our way home. Here's a few pics of the tank as it sat as a freshwater tank. Lots of vinegar and some elbow grease got it looking pretty good I think.

IMG_4630.JPG

IMG_4632.JPG

IMG_8585.JPG

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4682.PNG

IMG_4683.PNG

najer and NY_Caveman like this.
    Tags:

2. Lilmatty5dimes

Display: Oceanic tech 120g 48x24x24
    Lighting:Hamiltion Bali sun pendent luxcore adjustable ballast 250w radium bulb
    Filtration:40g breeder
    Reactor:
    Skimmer:
    Circulation: Jebao pp8
    Return pump: Wave line 12k
    Heater:
    ATO: tunze 3155

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    NY_Caveman likes this.
  3. Lilmatty5dimes

Save for FTS

4. Lilmatty5dimes

Stock list

5. Lilmatty5dimes

After about a hour of scrubbing and gallon of vinegar think she's good to go.
    @Fishfinder
    @litenyaup

IMG_4658.JPG

najer, DSC reef, kipju44 and 2 others like this.
  6. Lilmatty5dimes

Now let the build begin. Lol I bought a sheet of plywood from lowes to redo the base on the stand. Going to silicone the edge and paint it all white with kilz.
    just order new bulkheads, starboard, true union ball values, and blue light dj switch off amazon and ordering new rodi filter, frag disk, and ice cap salinity checked off marine depot.
    Only thing left are powerhead(jebao pp8 or 15) and skimmer which I'm thinking of ordering the cloud 9 off reef breeder. It's on sale for $220 and know it's a bubble magus knock off so shouldn't be to bad. Getting all the plumbing and sand if I go that route. Should be a fun week for me.

kipju44 and NY_Caveman like this.
  7. Lilmatty5dimes

Well, worked some on the floor to the stand. Took the old bottom out and replaced and caulked the bottom to make it semi water proof. Today I'll paint the inside with kilz and wash out the 40g breeder I'll use for the sump. Thinking I'm going to order the cloud 9 today and give it a try. Should be good for the tank. And then I'll be able to make the sump and after that I'll be able to move the tank and stand inside for finally resting place.

IMG_4686.JPG

IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4693.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

IMG_4698.JPG

8. Lilmatty5dimes

Well, yesterday got the inside of the stand painted and I've got to say it looks a million times better than the black. Now I'm debating on painting the whole stand white instead of the black.
    Preview of the tank with one fixture.

IMG_4707.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

IMG_4711.JPG

IMG_4714.JPG

kipju44, NY_Caveman and najer like this.
  9. najer

najer Valuable Member

Nice work, keep those pics coming please! :)

Lilmatty5dimes likes this.
  10. Lilmatty5dimes

Thanks got a lot of work done yesterday I'll post after my cup of joe.

11. spyder813

spyder813 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Looking good...following >>>>>

12. declanisadog

declanisadog Active Member

Looking good! What are you planning on putting in there?

13. WLDSHARK

WLDSHARK Active Member

Nice job with the stand and tank.

14. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Great start!

I _love_ white inside stands. My 60 cube was the first I'd ever done that with, and I'll never own another tank with an under stand sump that isn't white. Rustoleum Topsider, works great!

Amazing how fast those factory stands rot. Rusty hinges, finish peeling off, top getting soft... I just can't imagine why the big tank makers can't put a good coat of something waterproof over their stands... maybe even use coated or decent grade stainless hardware. Eh, who am I kidding. I haven't bought a factory stand in decades :)

The standard 120 is an excellent size. Enjoy :)

NY_Caveman and najer like this.
  15. saltwaterpicaso

saltwaterpicaso Active Member

great tank I have it in the 90 gallon have looked for years for the 120g to no avail

16. Lilmatty5dimes

Thanks. It's been fun so far. The wife's been helping out trying to get this set up already. Lol she wanted it up the day I bought it. Lol
    Planning on mix tank shrooms, ton of zoas, lps, and when it matures starting going the sps route. But you really knows. Lol
    Thanks I ended up painting the outside white as well. The inside loooked so good with a new coat of paint decided to do the outside as well. Only took 3-4 coats to do. Lol
    Yea tell me about it. I would imagine they have to barge ya another arm and legs if they did
    Thanks.

Greybeard likes this.
  17. Lilmatty5dimes

Well got the outside of the stand painted white as well. After seeing the inside with a new coat figure the outside needed freshing up as well. Took about 3-4 coats to paint it but looks great. Here's the resting place for it. Got the starboard in a day early so got that cut and installed. Wish I did a little better job but it'll have to do. Still may play with it some. Also went to ace hardware and got my baffles cut for the 40b just need to decide on a skimmer so I can glue them in place. Hopefully next weekend I'll have her wet and cycling.

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_4730.JPG

IMG_4731.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

kipju44 and najer like this.
  18. Lilmatty5dimes

Well, the weekend came and went way to fast. lol didn't get anything done with the tank but did finish our semi remodel of the master bathroom so that's completed. Until the next Wifey project. Should be able to get some stuff done week and hoping to have her wet this weekend or really close to it. I did order a few things yesterday and going to try and get the rest of the stuff today so I'll be done besides going and getting plumbing.
    Dr foster had some aquaforest stuff on sale so ended up getting big bottle of Aquaforest pro bio s, Aquaforest bio s, and 2 of the Aquaforest stone fix to make my aquascape. Also went ahead and ordered the rlss r8i skimmer so that's done. Now just the long wait till it gets here.

NY_Caveman and najer like this.
  19. Lilmatty5dimes

Well, small update got the starboard installed and silicone the edges all around. Wish I did a lil better job but oh well. Lol petco had the 40 breeders 50% so bought a new one and going to try and set the one that's drilled up as a frag tank next to the 120. Would be nice to have the extra storage room. Ordered up the rest of the stuff I'll need for the tank. 4 t5 sunblaster fixture, electrical strip to try and hide wires, few more true union ball values, frag disk, and a fire 7 for the display for apex I got a killer deal on. Now I can sell the 2 apex jr and get the apex basically free. Lol today I'll probably get the baffles in the new 40 and start looking st the rock to aquascape. Only thing I'll need are 2 blue+ and 2 coral+, few media reactors, and doser.

najer and NY_Caveman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted