Maxed out kalkwasser

CDubz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I’ve maxed out how much kalk I can dose on my mixed reef 170 gallon out of an avast kalk stirrer. About to get to my evaporation rate and I am sitting at 7 ish dkh in the morning and 6.9 in the evening. Never had this happen in previous tanks but this is the most SPS I’ve had. I was sitting fine at 1/4 of my evap rate but added some mini colonies I got for cheap recently and kept having to up it. I also recently extended the light period from 10 to 12 hours.
IMG_4652.jpeg

IMG_4654.jpeg

IMG_4655.jpeg

IMG_4653.jpeg

I like Randy’s DIY recipe ideas because I don’t like to spend an arm and a leg if I don’t have to. I do 10% water changes weekly to monthly depending on my motivation and time. PH sits between 8-8.3 and I like alk 7-9.

What are the pros and cons to each of the recipes?

Any cheap containers that won’t be an eyesore? Got the top off and kalk pump on the backside of the tank in the master. I’d like to put everything there.

How do you get a feel for dosing calcium and alkalinity individually?

Is dosing mag necessary now that I have a higher demand tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always start with kalk and then add in two part once kalk alone won’t keep up. I like the PH boost and tanks just tend to do well with kalk.

I never have to dose magnesium, probably due to all the kalk I dose.

OP
OP
C

CDubz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always start with kalk and then add in two part once kalk alone won’t keep up. I like the PH boost and tanks just tend to do well with kalk.

I never have to dose magnesium, probably due to all the kalk I dose.
Thank you. What two part do you use?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalk and 2 part. I use the soda ash alkalinity version. I’d keep doing kalk (when you start 2 part) as it doesn’t add sodium and chloride ions (that you don’t necessarily want) like 2 part. I also do daily 1% AWC and don’t add anything else.

IMG_0528.jpeg

OP
OP
C

CDubz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalk and 2 part. I use the soda ash alkalinity version. I’d keep doing kalk (when you start 2 part) as it doesn’t add sodium and chloride ions (that you don’t necessarily want) like 2 part. I also do daily 1% AWC and don’t add anything else.

IMG_0528.jpeg
Are you doing a DIY? What soda ash do you use? Is it still equal parts to the calcium carbonate?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your reactor running fully saturated? I don’t see enough corals in your tank to need anything more honestly from my experience… and if it did a fan would create plenty more evap to get more kalk from your top off.

OP
OP
C

CDubz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your reactor running fully saturated? I don’t see enough corals in your tank to need anything more honestly from my experience… and if it did a fan would create plenty more evap to get more kalk from your top off.
That’s why I posted a pic. I didn’t think so either and was wondering if someone would say something so I’m glad you did. I do believe so? I don’t know though. I use brs kalk and read that it’s too dense for the stirrer so thought I could switch and see a change and hold off for longer. I add kalk to the stirrer every two weeks when I add top off water to the reservoir.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to use Tropic Marine Part C with BRS 2 part.

Part C - mix 4 scoops to 1 gal water.
Dose part C at twice the amount of soda ash.

Example:
Soda ash 5 ml.
Part C 10 ml.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I posted a pic. I didn’t think so either and was wondering if someone would say something so I’m glad you did. I do believe so? I don’t know though. I use brs kalk and read that it’s too dense for the stirrer so thought I could switch and see a change and hold off for longer. I add kalk to the stirrer every two weeks when I add top off water to the reservoir.
Avast recommends 1/2 to full cup of a k2… I’d say you’d need to fill that thing every 4 days or so depending on your evaporation rate. Your ph should be key when your kalk is no longer good or working..

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0528.jpeg
If you dose part C, you no longer have the issue with the extra salt from 2 part. Part C is just salt mix minus salt.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dose part C, you no longer have the issue with the extra salt from 2 part. Part C is just salt mix minus salt.
I’ve thought about trying part C, but I’ve been getting away without doing so for many years. I THINK my 1% daily AWC allows this.

How long have you been dosing part C? Did you dose 2 part only first, and if so, did you notice anything when you added C? (Sorry about derailing thread)

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing a DIY? What soda ash do you use? Is it still equal parts to the calcium carbonate?
I use BRS soda ash. I’ve also baked baking soda to make soda ash but I went back to BRS for simplicity.

I am now using Prestone ice melt for calcium chloride. But I’ll probably go back to BRS someday. I just got mad when it seemed their prices doubled.

When I used all BRS products, I could get away with equal parts of soda ash and calcium chloride. But when I stray from that, I have to tweak the ratio.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to use Tropic Marine Part C with BRS 2 part.

Part C - mix 4 scoops to 1 gal water.
Dose part C at twice the amount of soda ash.

Example:
Soda ash 5 ml.
Part C 10 ml.

FWIW, that ratio also applies when using the sodium hydroxide recipe.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought about trying part C, but I’ve been getting away without doing so for many years. I THINK my 1% daily AWC allows this.

How long have you been dosing part C? Did you dose 2 part only first, and if so, did you notice anything when you added C? (Sorry about derailing thread)
I’ve been dosing part C for maybe 2 1/2 years. It just keeps you in ionic balance. Think of it this way, the more 2 part you dose, the more you lower your trace elements.

I dump part C into my ATO on the 1st and 15th. I started using it not long after starting 2 part.

It’s a step in the right direction, but your tank will take some time to balance out with 1% water changes.

Ideally, your corals will look better with better water chemistry. The more 2 part you dose, the more it matters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CDubz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No that’s fine I’m curious as well

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back