maxima lost color

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam looked somewhat better yesterday but today I checked on it and I have these little starfish through out my tank and there were 3 of them inside the shell along the upper edge. The clam was still open but not extended. I pulled the clam and used a small pick to pick the starfish out of the shell. hopefully didnt damage the clam doing this. Are these little stars predators of clams? They are not brittle stars, look more like little tiny chocolate stars but are pretty colorless. Im afraid I will be lucky this little guy makes it.
thanks
jeff
Something look like this starfish (picture at 400% close up so its around 1/4 inch)
Starfish.jpg

If yes then it's Asterina. I got a few before and I got rip of them before its become a problematic, they propagate quickly and can take over a tank. I don't know its clam safe or not but I don't want to take changes to keep them in my tank.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it is probably an asterina. However, they are opportunistic feeders, and i cannot be certain it wouldnt harm a clam. My understanding of them is that they would have responded to decomposing material on the clam (or the clam itself). So, unfortuately, I would guess the clam may be on its way out. I hope I am wrong and your clam is ok. If it is ok and not on its way out, id be worried they are harrasssing the clam and keeping it from fully extending its mantle.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loss but not all loss, you got the experience so cheer up move on and be better next time :)

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was weird because we never found any snails at the upper part of the shell or mantle, we checked every night. Once the clam was removed and I opened the shell there were 20+ pyramids on the inside of the shell at the bottom by the foot, some still attached to some meat. We watched the clam literally fade and I thought it was bleaching at first. After the death and some reading it made sense from what we experienced with a few others that perished. I also noticed that the clams, especially the blue squamosa, had faded over the entire mantle and not just spots or areas.

Important experience.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back