Maxima pinched mantel?

ctyler85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried doing some searching and what not but no definite answers. Clam has been great for us, just hit our 4yr anniversary as it was a Valentine's day gift. Anyways never had any issues at all. No need additions to the tank but for about two days now the clam has looked like this. The only thing that has been different at all is I dosed reef flux (fluconazole) Thursday night and the Skinner has been off since then. I did notice when I was cleaning the clam his foot appeared to be eating a snail shell, I didn't want to pull on the shell too hard and cause any damge. Any thoughts? Input? Any treatment to help?
IMG_20180218_184406082.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask, what was the dosage you used (per gallon, and total)
I’d turn the skimmer on(for oxygen).

Fwiw , I dosed fluconazole from Payless pets with two clams in the tank Witt no prob.
Very odd indeed.

#reefsquad who love clams.

OP
OP
C

ctyler85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20mg per 10 gallons, 265g display with 70gallon sump but with rock and everything when I filled her up from scratch it was just over the 200g mark so I dosed for 200 gallons (20-20mg capsules)

OP
OP
C

ctyler85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask, what was the dosage you used (per gallon, and total)
I’d turn the skimmer on(for oxygen).

Fwiw , I dosed fluconazole from Payless pets with two clams in the tank Witt no prob.
Very odd indeed.

#reefsquad who love clams.
Not blaming the fluconazole but that's literally the only thing that's changed. Other then the snail shell

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not blaming the fluconazole but that's literally the only thing that's changed. Other then the snail shell
Oh no worries at all. It’s just an odd reaction.

I honestly haven’t had enough reviews of the reefflux yet to know if there have beeen similar reactions by live stock.
Fluconazole of course can just be the active ingredient, no clue if the two brands are he same or have fillers.

Myself , I’d get fresh activated carbon ready to pull the meds out.
I also don’t think the skimmer removes it efficiently.

IronChefItaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the suggestion above. I keep three clams in my system and each time something has gone off they appear completely unaffected meanwhile some of my more sensitive sps and gorgonians show stress. If your clam was happy and growing before and there has been no radical changes otherwise I would suspect that the fluconazole is irritating it - it does not look good from the photo. I've always been a bit puzzled by the methods people employ to rid of algae. Its presence on the reef is very natural and beneficial.

OP
OP
C

ctyler85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the suggestion above. I keep three clams in my system and each time something has gone off they appear completely unaffected meanwhile some of my more sensitive sps and gorgonians show stress. If your clam was happy and growing before and there has been no radical changes otherwise I would suspect that the fluconazole is irritating it - it does not look good from the photo. I've always been a bit puzzled by the methods people employ to rid of algae. Its presence on the reef is very natural and beneficial.
I usually just try to pick it off by hand but it's too the point it's starting to take over the Coral

IronChefItaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just try to pick it off by hand but it's too the point it's starting to take over the Coral

Depending on what algae type it is, there are a number of options for fish and clean up crew. In periods of neglect/vacation various algaes will take over my sump but my display always remains spotless thanks to the critters. Heck, even my massive bristle worms devour algae but turf / hair types can be challenging.

OP
OP
C

ctyler85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what algae type it is, there are a number of options for fish and clean up crew. In periods of neglect/vacation various algaes will take over my sump but my display always remains spotless thanks to the critters. Heck, even my massive bristle worms devour algae but turf / hair types can be challenging.
Definitely briopsis and hair algea. Tang and lawnmower blenny want nothing to do with it, hermit's and emeralds won't touch it. Been trying to keep my eye out for some lettuce nudis

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back