Maxima pinched mantle?

realreef7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the sticky but just want to verify that this is PMD? I've had the clam for 3 months and it has colored up and shown new shell growth since (shiny white layer under the mantle). The top left area of the mantle is what concerns me.

mantle.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe?
The way the mantle presence at that point looks similar, but I also think I see a barnacle or other creature attached to the shell that may be irritating the clam at that point?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would give the shell a good look over and possible brushing to eliminate any irritants/pests. If the mantle gets worse, then maybe PMD, but I wouldn't call it PMD at this point.

OP
OP
R

realreef7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more pictures today, i dont think there is anything on the shell. I checked in the middle of the night with a flashlight for snails or a barnacle. What do you think , fw dip time?
clam1.jpg clam2.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can safely pull it out of the water, then I would scrub the shell and inspect it out of the water. Don't worry, it'll be perfectly fine. There are small hydroids that can irritate the mantle and they are almost clear (more opaque) and hard to see. If the mantle recession starts to expand, then performing a freshwater dip may be the fix. My guess is there's something you can't see that irritating the mantle.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 164 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.3%
Back