MAXreefer's Elos system 120....

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after the Elos Mini has been running for about a year now (My Mini thread here:
LINK) I am going to setup another Elos tank. This time it will be a System 120 tank. SPS dominated
I got a little addicted to the Elos tanks I have to admit. They are extremely well build and the "all clear glass" is just amazing. From the information I got it seems they are using components for the glass not available in the USA which makes them so unique.

For those of you not so familiar with Elos tanks here is a nice video from the InterZoo 2010 in Germany:

[video=youtube;h0WA6mHOm6M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0WA6mHOm6M[/video]

Here are my thoughts so far for the setup

Tank
Elos System 120 (47.24x22.5x19.69)
Elos cabinet (47.24x22.5x31.5)

The tank will function as a room divider visible from 3 sides. One of the short sides will be against the wall. Really like the tank is quite deep but not very tall.
To keep the clean look of the tank I will keep the LR to a minimal with an open aquascaping.
The tank should be here within a week. :beerchug:

A few pics from the Elos System 120:
aquariumSM.jpg
DSD_9902sm.jpg

Sump
Custom made 25 gallon. Still planning on that

Heaters
2 x 400W

Controller and dosing
Profilux/GHL controller
Profilux/GHL 4 x Dosing unit for the 2-part and Mag.

Profiluxsm.jpg

Flow
2 x Tunze 6105 (Flow rate: 792 to 3,434 USgal./h) controlled by the Profilux.
6105_000_sm.jpg

Lights
AquaIlluminations LED fixture Sol Super Blue 2nd generation. The AI lights can be completely controlled with the Profilux controller which will give me endless possibilities for all kinds of light scenarios.
Hanging Kit: I really don't like the looks from the hanging kit. Therefore I will frame it to give it a modern style probably with a nice acrylic in a cool color or stainless steel. AI website: LINK

Pic with 2 modules. There are going to be 4

aquaillumination-led-hanging-kit-420x237.jpg

Skimmer
There are many skimmers out there and no matter what skimmer you choose for almost any skimmer on the market you will see good and bad reviews and it gets confusing.
I guess it will all come down to personal preferences but any suggestions welcome!!

ATI Bubble Master 250
Bubble King Mini 180 or 200, Gen 2
Super Reef Octopus XP 2000 IN-SUMP Cone
Royal Exclusiv Alpha 200 Cone
Bubble Magus BM-180CS Needlewheel Cone​

Substrate
Not sure yet. I am looking for a substrate that looks good but is also suited for a high flow tank. Suggestions?

I am sure I will come up with changes or additions but that should it be for now.
Will keep this updated and illustrate the setup and progress with lots of pics.

Thank for your input and looking guys
Michael

Chad W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I don't make things more confusing but I would strongly recommend a H&S 110 or A110 for that sized system. Personally I think it will perform better than any of the above. If you think 110 is on the small size even a 150 or A150 would be OK as well but personally I think the 110 or A110 would perform very well.

Elos tanks are very nice though...very jealous :bigsmile:

Chad

OP
OP
MAXreefer

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments guys. Really looking forward to this setup.

Chad: No worries. I am glad for very input I get. I will look into those skimmers for sure

I am debating also if I would go with the AI LED's which I really like or the ATI dimmable powermodule 36" with 6 or 8 x 39W HO T5's. It is going to be SPS dominated but 8 bulbs still might be overkill...?

Chad W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try one of the maxspect 60w led units on a small system to see how they look. I like the look of T-5 and how you can mix and match to get the color you are looking for but I like not having bulb replacement cost w/ leds. I've never owned a led fixture so we will see.

AI is supposed to be a nice unit and the powermodules are very nice units for T-5 so that is a tough decision : )

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
6 bulbs is good for about 80 gallons sps dominated... 8 may be overkill but u can replace 2 with just actinics..like UVL super actinics for just the color, just think of it as more bulb options.

NaClCrocodile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS far as substrate goes, what about Reef Grade Special? I love the stuff in my tank, it doesn't get knocked around and it looks good as well. Unfortunately I just got a burrowing wrasse so I'll have to figure something out with some sugar sized sand.

Also, why not go with Vortech? I just realized today that I can't stand the look of wires out of the top of the tank, so I love mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MAXreefer

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your suggestions guys. Greatly appreciated.

xmjxflipx:
Is there any particular brand "Reef Grade Special" you would recommend?
I have both Tunze and Vortech and really like both. The tank will function also as a room divider and the Vortech dry side of the 40's is quite big and they would be really visible sitting outside of the tank. The power cord would have to run outside of the tank also which is not that great either when you look at it on one of the visible sides. I know what you mean and if the tank would be against the wall I would have gone with the Vortech as you suggested.

Thanks again
Michael

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back