Maxspect Gyre Compatibility

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers. Question. Does anyone know if the new Gyre Drives ( motor/ propeller ) "wet side" are compatible with the old controller. My 1st Gen. XF-130 wet side wore out. (ceramic shaft bent, magnet swell, bushings shot) What im try to do is only buy the new XF230 wet side and use it with the older XF130 controller to save money. I asked Bulk Reef and they were not sure. Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong here, but my understanding is that difference between 130 and 230 is only controller. Actual wavemaker and all the parts between the 2 are identical.

OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but will the signal wire connectors match up? Or did they change the configuration on them? In other words XF130 controller connector to the new XF230 Drive connector.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's for the info Scurvy. So Im taking that the connectors matched up?

Yes, connectors will match up. You can use 130 with new 230 controller, so it would work backwards as well. Like I said, 130 and 230 are identical units, only difference is controller used. With that said, I would look into getting used 230 with new model controller. It gives you a lot more customization and options, and down the road add a 130 to it when you need more flow. With bit of time and luck you can get complete 230 for a bit more than just the wet side.

OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good news. Saves me about a hundred bucks. Plus i'll wait for Bulk Reefs black friday sale to pick up a 230 drive for even less. For the time being, my mp10 and two loc-line return flare nossels seem to be giving my tank sufficient flow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back