Maxspect Gyre stopped working

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to call support, but I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions?

my gyre stopped working. no sounds, no vibrations nothing.

The controller still lights up, appears functioning. All plugs are in.

gave the gyre a good cleaning. Took it all apart and gave it a 50% Vinegar soak and scrubbing (24 hours in bath).

any other suggestions I can try before I call support?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which controller are you using? If the advanced one, you could try the second power connector. And of course try power cycling the controller at least once, if you haven't.

Otherwise it sounds like the motor itself may have failed.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not the newer controller. the gyre is about a year and half old, closer to 2.

I think the motor did fail.

If I just buy another pump without controller, It should work, right? To save a bit on cost?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not the newer controller. the gyre is about a year and half old, closer to 2.

I think the motor did fail.

If I just buy another pump without controller, It should work, right? To save a bit on cost?

Another of the same pump model should work with the old controller, assuming the problem is with the gyre pump itself.

Hey, I'm going to read your pico tank thread. Really getting the urge to do one myself. I'd like to find a nice vase, though, and an attractive 3 gallon clear glass vase is surprisingly hard to find. :)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e had probs with mine also. Last less a couple years & something comes up. Iv'e replace them both . I'd be happy to pay more if they were more sturdy.

Last edited:

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to spin the motor by turning the propeller to see if the plastic bushing has worn out, you should be able to feel the resistance of the magnets.

My xf280 eats through bushings every 2-3 months.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last one (of 4) gave up yesterday. Spent way too much on parts to keep them going so have given up. Similar issues with other Maxspect products so don't buy them anymore.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the wide flow they put out. They just need a better quality

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to spin the motor by turning the propeller to see if the plastic bushing has worn out, you should be able to feel the resistance of the magnets.

My xf280 eats through bushings every 2-3 months.

I disappeared to try that. the motor sputters. it's not consistent. Guess the motor's dead

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread:
I was doing a water change tonight and unplugged my gyre advanced controller. When I plugged it back in after the water change the controller wouldn’t turn on and I heard what sounded like some electrical popping noises. I’ve unplugged it all, power cycled the controller, plugged it all back in, no luck getting the controller to show any sign of power or life. I don’t know what to do, it’s my main flow source in my 90 gal. Kinda worried over here.
the green light is illuminated on the gyres power brick, so I’m not sure if that means it’s the controller that is the issue or just the connection coming from the power supply, any advice is appreciated.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread:
I was doing a water change tonight and unplugged my gyre advanced controller. When I plugged it back in after the water change the controller wouldn’t turn on and I heard what sounded like some electrical popping noises. I’ve unplugged it all, power cycled the controller, plugged it all back in, no luck getting the controller to show any sign of power or life. I don’t know what to do, it’s my main flow source in my 90 gal. Kinda worried over here.
The green light is illuminated on the gyres power brick, so I’m not sure if that means it’s the controller that is the issue or just the connection coming from the power supply, any advice is appreciated.
#controlleradvisor #reefsquad
Any ideas squad? My coral is looking mad.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost sounds like a power surge shocked the controller, especially if you heard popping. Can you take the controller apart and see if the circuit board is fried? Is the controller doing anything? Flashing red or trouble codes or is it completely dead?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost sounds like a power surge shocked the controller, especially if you heard popping. Can you take the controller apart and see if the circuit board is fried? Is the controller doing anything? Flashing red or trouble codes or is it completely dead?
I’ll see what I can do. Nothing happens with the controller as of now, no lights, nothing.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s cooked... I ordered a new controller... 1 year warranty is so crappy, what the heck.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back