Maxspect Gyre XF250 vs XF280

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Programming the gyres with the ICV6 is really super simple and rather quick, getting all the programming you could really want.
The plus side is you do not have to worry about everything being on one system controller in case of any issues and I have found that Once my apex decided to throw a fit I was in No huge rush to replace the Brain because my tank still had the flow it needed.
Yes there were some things that were down due to the Apex not functioning but the tank had Light, filtration and flow.

I do understand why it would be great to be able to control the Gyre 280's with the Apex controller along with many folks desire to see this possible.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just started up a pair of the XF 280.... love the controller.. actually easier to use then my XF 250 with apex.. i like the idea of just going to the controller and messing and reversing the circular flow in the tank...

Question though.. one of the power supply cords at the end of the cord is yellow other power supply is black ... at the tip that plugs into the controller i mean. the yellow one seems to fall out all the time.. bad ? any info

Also... the controller is really hot.. is that normal. thanks

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just started up a pair of the XF 280.... love the controller.. actually easier to use then my XF 250 with apex.. i like the idea of just going to the controller and messing and reversing the circular flow in the tank...

Question though.. one of the power supply cords at the end of the cord is yellow other power supply is black ... at the tip that plugs into the controller i mean. the yellow one seems to fall out all the time.. bad ? any info

Also... the controller is really hot.. is that normal. thanks

LOL there is no way the Advanced controller is even close to being easier to program custom flow patterns and schedules throughout with day over the APEX. I had to watch a 20 min Youtube video to even begin to understand how to do it, and then after its programmed (which takes forever), lets say you want to increase/decrease or play with the time settings to fine tune the flow schedule you have to dive right back in and play around again for almost the same amount of time.

Very honestly, the pumps move a ton of water no question. But the lack of ability to actually control and monitor them properly over an APEX or GHL is a massive downfall. Over other pumps, gyre's also require a LOT more maintenance to keep them running properly.

To answer your question, one of my pumps (I bought 2 XF280's) has a power connection cable that too is 'loose' and falls out regularly. Its super annoying so I taped it. IMO these pumps are priced in the range of Tunze or Ecotech, some of the build quality is definitely lacking.

Last edited:

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep.. same problem here.. one of the power cords keeps coming lose.. controller is hot.. very hot.. not sure why

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep.. same problem here.. one of the power cords keeps coming lose.. controller is hot.. very hot.. not sure why

Ya like I said I was expecting a little more when I bought them.

I wouldn’t say I would purchase them again and I am in the process of switching to Tunze.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back