Maxspect Gyre XF250 vs XF280

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm setting up my 225gal tank. 72"L x 30"H x 24"W. I'm intending to keep high flow coral. My question is, without getting too specific, are two XF280's complete overkill? I want to oversize the pumps to keep them running low and quiet. However, I'm not sure if the XF280's are still way to powerful to consider.

Anyone with experience with the XF250 or XF280, please chime in! Thanks.

P.S. I contacted Maxspect directly. We will wait and see what they say.

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my 225gal tank. 72"L x 30"H x 24"W. I'm intending to keep high flow coral. My question is, without getting too specific, are two XF280's complete overkill? I want to oversize the pumps to keep them running low and quiet. However, I'm not sure if the XF280's are still way to powerful to consider.

Anyone with experience with the XF250 or XF280, please chime in! Thanks.

P.S. I contacted Maxspect directly. We will wait and see what they say.

I run 2 250s on my 120g which is 48 inch long and I keep them under 40% and so far so good. I'm sure you can run 280s just fine and tune it where you need.

U

User1

View Badges
I had a single XF250 in my 210 gallon which is 54" W x 30" T x 30" D and I didn't think it was enough. Honestly, thought long and hard to sell it. I had it running anywhere from 80 to 100% and still didn't think it was reaching the other end of the tank. Some member threw together a video of using two and setting up a flow pattern and it got me thinking so I ordered a 2nd one. Price seemed reasonable without the controller (since I already had their controller) and placed it in the tank on Sunday. Since I was running one of the two internal flow settings at 80% I just connected it assuming it would be ok. Well....it created a pretty large sand storm and blew my hammer corals all over somewhat hurting so I dialed them down to 50% each. Still too much so now they are at 30% believe it or not and I still think it is a bit much. When they work together they generate a lot of flow.

Personally speaking the XF250 is the minimum one I would get. If you look at the smaller one compared to the 250 it is night and day difference for a couple dollars more. So the XF250 would be my recommendation. If you have a upgrade in the future then maybe consider the 280's but if not the 250's are more than enough when working in any form together. My only complaint of the product is:

1. Can't use the SD card to share code (import / export)
2. No native controller connectivity (Apex, Reef Angel, etc)
3. Does not appear to allow if then else flows based on time (might be there I just don't see it yet - back to #1 above, editor would be nice to import export rather than controller)

They are a good product though although I'm only actively using mine since April with the 2nd only added this past weekend.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@saf1 excellent post. Definitely appreciated.

Knowing I'll be running a little longer I imagine I'd be running slightly higher settings on the XF250. At higher settings is it loud?

Also I understand you can get an ice cap controller and hook it up to the apex I think. Might not need to but I think it's possible.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run 2 250s on my 120g which is 48 inch long and I keep them under 40% and so far so good. I'm sure you can run 280s just fine and tune it where you need.

Is it noticeably quieter at those levels compared to higher settings?

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with the Xf 250's I had in my 90 gallon transferred into my 210.
Ran them at 70 and 100 % speeds depending on mode used.
Noise at higher speeds is just like any other power head on the market today with regard to an audible pitch in pulsing modes and such.
Not bothersome at all and just becomes the sound of the home when my tank is running with the skimmer off as the skimmer is the only thing that can be heard on my tank chewing air.
After cleaning them OR when new they tend to make a bit more noise until a good bio film gets in them within a few days to a couple weeks depending on your particular system.

Running them at maxed out speeds and still not satisfied with the flow I bought Two XF 280's and WHAT a difference in flow !!
These monsters are just what the flow doctor ordered. I can run them at 70% max speed in some of the modes but will shift my sand around which does not bother me as a different mode will put it back LOL.
I like to run the preset modes with a min speed of 40% and max of 80% with just the 280's running.
Now I do use the 250's still on the back glass and they are run with the Ice cap modules controlled via Apex for some killer random flow patterns coming off the back glass and disrupting the 280's. The 250's are definitely not needed now that I have the 280's, I just wanted more flow and more random chaos for my corals and fish.

If you are one that thinks corals will be ''hurt'' from tank flow then get the 250's and run them at 50% or less
If you plan to have corals grow out into mature colonies that need high flow rates then get the 280's
Word of advise, the 280's can NOT be controlled with the Ice Cap interface modules so If you want third party control then stick to the 250's and if two are not enough for your tank needs then you can always purchase a third and run it off the native controller for a while or get another GIM.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started out with the Xf 250's I had in my 90 gallon transferred into my 210.
Ran them at 70 and 100 % speeds depending on mode used.
Noise at higher speeds is just like any other power head on the market today with regard to an audible pitch in pulsing modes and such.
Not bothersome at all and just becomes the sound of the home when my tank is running with the skimmer off as the skimmer is the only thing that can be heard on my tank chewing air.
After cleaning them OR when new they tend to make a bit more noise until a good bio film gets in them within a few days to a couple weeks depending on your particular system.

Running them at maxed out speeds and still not satisfied with the flow I bought Two XF 280's and WHAT a difference in flow !!
These monsters are just what the flow doctor ordered. I can run them at 70% max speed in some of the modes but will shift my sand around which does not bother me as a different mode will put it back LOL.
I like to run the preset modes with a min speed of 40% and max of 80% with just the 280's running.
Now I do use the 250's still on the back glass and they are run with the Ice cap modules controlled via Apex for some killer random flow patterns coming off the back glass and disrupting the 280's. The 250's are definitely not needed now that I have the 280's, I just wanted more flow and more random chaos for my corals and fish.

If you are one that thinks corals will be ''hurt'' from tank flow then get the 250's and run them at 50% or less
If you plan to have corals grow out into mature colonies that need high flow rates then get the 280's
Word of advise, the 280's can NOT be controlled with the Ice Cap interface modules so If you want third party control then stick to the 250's and if two are not enough for your tank needs then you can always purchase a third and run it off the native controller for a while or get another GIM.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I didn't realize 280's can't be run on an ice cap module. That said to be honest that's not a huge deal as I've heard the native controllers aren't bad.

I've ordered two 280's. Waiting for them on backorder.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed response.

I didn't realize 280's can't be run on an ice cap module. That said to be honest that's not a huge deal as I've heard the native controllers aren't bad.

I've ordered two 280's. Waiting for them on backorder.

should not take long for them to come back in stock. ;)
I think you will be impressed with the amount of flow able to be generated and the different flow patterns the native controller can produce.
Just watch the CVTV videos on the gyre and you should pick up the programming quickly.
Good luck and happy reefing.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I sent an inquiry directly to Maxspect regarding my question above. Below is their response.

Maxspect Customer Service said:
Thanks for your support.
If you are keeping LPS, we advise two XF250s;
but if you are keeping SPS, we advise two XF280s.

Just in case anyone else comes along and wonders.

should not take long for them to come back in stock. ;)
I think you will be impressed with the amount of flow able to be generated and the different flow patterns the native controller can produce.
Just watch the CVTV videos on the gyre and you should pick up the programming quickly.
Good luck and happy reefing.

I did check out the CVTV video. Definitely impressed with the controller capability. I'm sure it'll suit me just fine.

Unfortunately I am still waiting on back order. I see BRS has the 280's with a controller in stock but none without. My supplier mentioned they don't make many of these 280's. Guess we'll just keep waiting in the meantime.

Thanks for the advice!

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How did the 280s work out? I got the same size tank being build and coming up with a plan now.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really well. Had them mounted horizontally but couldn't keep the overflow quiet with the varying surface agitation on an alternating cycle. Now they're mounted vertically pushing a gyre across the back wall. Really good flow.

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really well. Had them mounted horizontally but couldn't keep the overflow quiet with the varying surface agitation on an alternating cycle. Now they're mounted vertically pushing a gyre across the back wall. Really good flow.

Interesting so you got one on each tank back corner pushing a gyre? What kind of overflows do you have?

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting so you got one on each tank back corner pushing a gyre? What kind of overflows do you have?

Yea, alternating 70% / - 50%. I've got two Synergy Reef Shadow overflows. Bean Animal system needs a consistent water level to keep quiet and when one side turns on with the other in reverse, one side has a different flow rate into the weir box causing the secondary to gurgle. Can't tune it out because when it alternates it goes to the other side. I suppose if you just had one it might not be an issue? Or just an issue between rampings?

Idk but the pumps are great!

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea, alternating 70% / - 50%. I've got two Synergy Reef Shadow overflows. Bean Animal system needs a consistent water level to keep quiet and when one side turns on with the other in reverse, one side has a different flow rate into the weir box causing the secondary to gurgle. Can't tune it out because when it alternates it goes to the other side. I suppose if you just had one it might not be an issue? Or just an issue between rampings?

cool. Yeah I will be using one Synergy Reef shadow overflow.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the update. Glad you like them as much as I like mine.
I really do think there is not another style pump out there that can match the amount of water flow or types of flow patterns that can be produced with the gyre pumps.
The Icv6 is now supporting the Gyre controller and makes it a world easier to program custom set points up to 24 in a day.
I updated my 280 controller to the new version firmware and all giddy like a young kid in a candy store.

My dual herbie overflows act up here and there from the massive surface agitation I get with my gyre 280's mounted horizontal on side panels.
May have to try out the vertical option to see how the flow pattern works out.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the update. Glad you like them as much as I like mine.
I really do think there is not another style pump out there that can match the amount of water flow or types of flow patterns that can be produced with the gyre pumps.
The Icv6 is now supporting the Gyre controller and makes it a world easier to program custom set points up to 24 in a day.
I updated my 280 controller to the new version firmware and all giddy like a young kid in a candy store.

My dual herbie overflows act up here and there from the massive surface agitation I get with my gyre 280's mounted horizontal on side panels.
May have to try out the vertical option to see how the flow pattern works out.

They definitely move a ton of water.

What is this Icv6? Does it support the XF280?

I'll definitely have to look into this firmware update. What new features did it add?

Yea, as much as I loved the surface agitation, I wanted silent. I think with a single overflow, it might not be an issue. I will say though, mounted vertically, the water flow at the sand bed is just as fast as at the top of the tank. Good for an SPS situation. Idk if it's too much for softies.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely move a ton of water.

What is this Icv6? Does it support the XF280?

I'll definitely have to look into this firmware update. What new features did it add?

Yea, as much as I loved the surface agitation, I wanted silent. I think with a single overflow, it might not be an issue. I will say though, mounted vertically, the water flow at the sand bed is just as fast as at the top of the tank. Good for an SPS situation. Idk if it's too much for softies.

The Icv6 is a controller Maxspect produces that controls / supports their lights and pumps via an app called Syna-G
Yes all models of the gyre are supported.
The update if your controller is on the older firmware adds a feature for ''sleep'' mode on the LCD screen on the gyre dual controller to preserve the display. merely touching the buttons wakes it up to see the settings and such.
There may be other updated features though the main one is the support with the Icv6 & SynaG app.

I like it a lot having the Recurve lights, 250's and 280's along with a RazorX light.
Easy programming on the synaG app for the devices and the programming gets relayed to the lights and or pumps via the Icv6.
As time goes on Maxspect is adding more features / control.

Note on the Icv6, some report having issues with it staying connected to their wifi network at home or getting Timed out errors.
I had this due to my internet wifi being pulled on hard by many devices in the home.
so to work around this I paired my phone to the Icv6 maxspect wifi hot spot and just choose this network when I want to get into the SynaG app to change a setting or create more profiles to run for the gyres. It's worked for me and its one less thing pulling on my network.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back