Maxspect Jump or AI Prime?

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some of you may know but I'm currently planning out my first reef tank. I'm currently undecided if I'm going to set it up in a new 29g tank or my 55g that currently houses a freshwater tropical community which would be relocated to the 29g and a few other smaller tanks that I have. I'm currently leaning more towards building the 55g as a reef and saving myself the hassle of setting up the 29g and wishing had just gone for the 55g to begin with. Either way I go about it, I'm struggling to decide on a light setup. Originally I had planned on running a Current-USA IC Pro Dual set up but after doing a little research and a visit to a new LFS, I'm not so sure that's the best direction for me to go. I've started researching the AI Primes based on a few recommendations here. While I was researching, I stumbled across the Maxspect Jump MJ-L165. From what I've seen on youtube, it looks like a pretty good unit with about the same price point of the AI Primes. If I go with the AI Prime on the 55g, would 2 of them be sufficient? Would 1 be sufficient for the 29g? Would 2 of the Maxspect Jump be sufficient for the 55g? Would 1 Maxspect Jump be sufficient if I go the 29g route?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
two primes may work but three would be ideal. I see primes on R2R all the time for $130-150 each regularly.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought I might have to go with 3 Primes but I'm not sure how I'd space them as my tank has a center support in it.
1615254710024.png

Place your more light demanding coral towards right side

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
the more I think about it, two hydra 26 units will work better yet

1615254808124.png

TheWalkingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two primes may work but three would be ideal. I see primes on R2R all the time for $130-150 each regularly.
I bought a brand new prime and then scored two more for less than the price I paid for the first one XD

They are great lights and with everyone upgrading to different gear it only benefited me. My 40B tank is well lit and it gave me a opportunity for a observation tank/possible frag tank. Or if I really want I could use all three and have a nice sps dominate tank. Long story short used primes way to go.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one Maxspect on a 29 gallon tank I use for frags. Spread doesn't go 30 inches wide (not advertised to). I really like the light itself, but app has drove me nuts. One mode connects phone directly to light. Will not work for me. Wasted seven hours messing with it. Next mode connects phone to light over your wifi, but can only use 2.4 ghz (what I ended up having to use). Third mode uses wifi and the cloud (not interested in storing my info and connecting to cloud for a light).

OP
OP
King_Acidic

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one Maxspect on a 29 gallon tank I use for frags. Spread doesn't go 30 inches wide (not advertised to). I really like the light itself, but app has drove me nuts. One mode connects phone directly to light. Will not work for me. Wasted seven hours messing with it. Next mode connects phone to light over your wifi, but can only use 2.4 ghz (what I ended up having to use). Third mode uses wifi and the cloud (not interested in storing my info and connecting to cloud for a light).
Aside from the app, has everything worked the way you want it to?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 58 54.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back