Maxspect Razor X 300w on redsea reefer 450

Jay00498

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it going everyone? I am going to be picking up a Red Sea reefer 450 on Sunday and will be switching over my 4ft 90 gallon into it. I am currently using a maxspect razor x 300w on it. I just acquired the light and still learning how to use it. I unfortunately do not have the ability to hang the lights so i will be using the stock mounting legs that came with the fixture. With the lights only being 6” from the surface of the water and most of the settings that I have seen are recommend using the lights at 12” from the surface of the water do I just cut the lights back 50%? I am pretty new to reefing and don’t want to kill any corals with too much light but also don’t want to drop the settings too much either . The Red Sea reefer 450 is 59” x 22” x 20” . I will be aiming towards a mixed reef of sps , lps , and softies . Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason for mounting it higher is better spread. I wouldn't kick it as far back as 50%, maybe 75% and adjust from there.

BRS has a video on PAR and spread at various mounting heights using the maxspect razor that is extremely useful if you don't have a accessible PAR meter.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back