Maxspect XF330 or 350?

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall flow is not really a problem, due to my Vectra M2 and Nero 5 but the Nero controller is starting to crap out and I am looking at the Maxspect 300 series and have a few questions.
  1. Is the XF330 suitable for this 4' tank or should I just go with the 350 and dial it back? Obviously, the 350 is more desirable but would save the $100, if 2350 gph would do the job. I see only using one flow pump but know I can add another with the new controller.
  2. I have read/heard that the proper maintenance is now easier than before, as that used to be a real issue for me and it is not as noisy as before.
  3. I know I could go with other alternatives, such as a second Nero 5, MP40 or 60, Octopulse x 2, etc. but am thinking that the "truer" gyre would be the better choice.
  4. Lastly, is Maxspect qualitatively better than the IceCap alternative?
Thanks in advance.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The main criteria is what the magnets on each are rated for in terms of glass thickness. So go with whatever fits your glass.
2. The Maxspect are still a PITA to clean - as you need to remove all the cabling.
3. A second Nero 5 is also a great option.
4. Red Sea makes the best gyres currently (and easier cleaning and maintenance).

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a big fan of the 350s on my 120g. Theyre too touchy for me, guards fall easy, parts rub and make noises, you have to be careful not to touch them after you get them set in a quiet position. They’re strong if left on but in pulse mode I don’t think 350s are overkill in a 4’ tank.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 XF350 on my Redsea S500 (I think it is about 42"). I love the flows and how easier it is to program.
However, they require regular cleaning after 6 weeks or so and they are pia to clean and put back together.
They are also hit or miss! One of mine running like crap compared to the other one no matter what I have try to make sure it was put together properly. The good one is running at 20% after cleaned vs the bad one have to be at 50% (then gradually decrease after just about 4-5 weeks).
I would probably replace them with Tunze when they stopped working.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 XF350 on my Redsea S500 (I think it is about 42"). I love the flows and how easier it is to program.
However, they require regular cleaning after 6 weeks or so and they are pia to clean and put back together.
They are also hit or miss! One of mine running like crap compared to the other one no matter what I have try to make sure it was put together properly. The good one is running at 20% after cleaned vs the bad one have to be at 50% (then gradually decrease after just about 4-5 weeks).
I would probably replace them with Tunze when they stopped working.
Yea same here I’m thinking Tunze next. I forgot to mention I had to stop my propeller from going in reverse on one of the xf 350s. When it goes in reverse it makes a loud click noise. My pumps set to alternating gyers every 4-6 seconds is a lot of clicking. Sounds like its gotten worst and louder the past 3 months so I turned that function off. A bit sad there but I’ve gotten 2 years out of them so It’s whatever I guess.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own quite a bit of Tunze product and it’s def high quality but again, looking at a “true” gyre. Have gleaned that the maxspect 300 series has improved a great deal but my research and the anecdotal info I am getting, says Red Sea Reef Wave is a far better product, in terms of maintenance and their controller. The Reef Waves are also considerably less $$

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back