Maxspect XF350's vs Icecap 4k's

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previously the Icecap was just the more affordable, fewer featured clone, which was great, but with the sale on the Maxspect's at $279 for 1, it seems the likely choice, but then needs the wifi controller to truly take advantage of all features. The cheaper Icecap has wifi built in....
Someone talk me back into the Maxspect, what is truly better? Its hard to justify fewer options at a higher price?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the maxspect XF350 and love it. I also have the ICV6 controller to control it. The ICV6 controller isn't much money at all and it is worth it IMO. Plus, with the ICV6 controller, if for some reason the wifi went down, you can still connect to the controller with a direct connect to the ICV6 with your phone. Also, wifi chips have a tendency of going bad, you can replace a ICV6 controller, can you replace a chip in the Icecap, HMMM!!!!

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point about the controller, being able to use a phone to get into advanced options is nice, but no way to do much more than basic off/on if wifi goes down...not ok...thank you, i needed that to ice it!

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, that's not true, you can do anything in a direct phone connect as you can do with a wifi, the difference is you will have to disconnect your phone from your wifi network and connect it directly to the ICV6 controller, but your can do anything the ICV6 controller will allow you to do to the Gyre. Either way they are both great powerheads.

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, $50 for the ICV6 is nothing in the large scope of things...ill save more than that if i buy now while there on sale anyway. I have a std 150g with lots of rock. I assuming i need (definitely want) the dual 350's...but what is your advise and how do you have it orientated?

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey your blowing holes in my irrational rationale, lol, Im using 200+ gb a month of hotspot at the moment...so yes all to familiar. The Maxspect can only be as good or better im assuming. Plus, im going with the original, as coralvue licensed it to icecap as the more affordable. Good deal

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, $50 for the ICV6 is nothing in the large scope of things...ill save more than that if i buy now while there on sale anyway. I have a std 150g with lots of rock. I assuming i need (definitely want) the dual 350's...but what is your advise and how do you have it orientated?
I have a 120 gal tank, I have a 350 on one side and 2 mp40's on the other side. I did this becuase they both had something I wanted. I wanted the variable flow of the mp40's to push water on both sides of my aquascape, but I wanted the gyre effect to push a mass amount of water without it being so directional as a standard pump is.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way you really can't go wrong, I love the fact that they will move mass, and I do mean mass, amounts of water. My LPS plates are hating me now, the gyre has completely changed the water movement in my tank, LOL!!!

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gal tank, I have a 350 on one side and 2 mp40's on the other side. I did this becuase they both had something I wanted. I wanted the variable flow of the mp40's to push water on both sides of my aquascape, but I wanted the gyre effect to push a mass amount of water without it being so directional as a standard pump is.
Great idea, I have 2 mp40 on a 120, I thought about this, any pictures of how you have them?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my gyre turned down to only 30 percent as they really do move that much water, LOL!!! The biggest plus to either one is that they move mass amounts of water gently.

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single center overflow at full siphon with returns on both ends. The bump the overflow creates in the center as well as the currents meeting in the center drives me to want to place these in the back corners vertically. But ive heard the pumps dont like being vertical...at least the 200 series did not. And yeah, i doubt id ever hit 100 percent but the more headroom you have longer the pump will last.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea, I have 2 mp40 on a 120, I thought about this, any pictures of how you have them?
Sorry, i don't have a current picture, but I have the gyre on the left side, roughly 2 inches below the water line and I have the mp40's on the right side, one roughly 4 inches off the bottom along the backside of my rock structure and the other roughly 4 inches below the water line and 5 inches front the front to get the front of my rock structures.

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the move much in reverse? Although in a horizontal position its not really called for. Id love the water to do a racetack around my two tall skinny rock stacks, clockwise then counter, but that may be asking alot?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the move much in reverse? Although in a horizontal position its not really called for. Id love the water to do a racetack around my two tall skinny rock stacks, clockwise then counter, but that may be asking alot?
I have never tried the reverse option, but they even say they will not move as much water in reverse which makes sense as the blades are meant to move in one direction.

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see that which is another plus for the bigger 350's...in forward, as you said 30%, but in reverse I could...in theory...bump it up alot. The fun is in the experiment!

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the maxspect XF350 and love it. I also have the ICV6 controller to control it. The ICV6 controller isn't much money at all and it is worth it IMO. Plus, with the ICV6 controller, if for some reason the wifi went down, you can still connect to the controller with a direct connect to the ICV6 with your phone. Also, wifi chips have a tendency of going bad, you can replace a ICV6 controller, can you replace a chip in the Icecap, HMMM!!!!
I have a question about the ICV6 controller. Will the head work with only the ICV6 or do you need the included controller to power the pump? The reason I ask is I can get a pump for $170 and the controller for $50 totaling $220 instead of $300. Otherwise I don't see how it will clear up clutter like is advertised.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matt Carden,The pump controller actually controls the pump, the ICV6 module allows you to remotely control it with your phone, makes it easier to program it and set schedules and such.

Thad disbrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longevity is maxspect from my experience. I’ve cap have failed me within a year and maxspect I haven’t had fail yet...

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matt Carden,The pump controller actually controls the pump, the ICV6 module allows you to remotely control it with your phone, makes it easier to program it and set schedules and such.
So that doesn't make Sense how they say it clears up the clutter.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that doesn't make Sense how they say it clears up the clutter.
I wouldn’t say it clears up clutter, it just makes it much easier to program it. Trying to program it thru the pump controller is a little bit of a pain, using your phone is much easier. Plus you can change settings and speeds by programming a schedule. Having my maxspect xf350 installed in my tank for a few months now, I can honestly say that I will be buying another pump head when I upgrade my tank to a 225 gal tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back