May have crashed my tank

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few weeks ago after the WWC live sale (Thanks Mailly @WWC by the way for walking me through placement of frags in my tank) I finally decided to commit and glue down the 30 frags I have in my tank. I took maybe 75% or more of the water out in order to put the frags on the rocks. The first few days after I was proud of my work but I noticed my Duncan not opening up and that is usually a sign of bad things but I chalked it up to the water change. In the past week I've noticed the Duncan still hasn't opened, 2 lost chromis, and corals not looking great. I did a test on yesterday and saw nitrates at about 20ppm and ammonia at 2ppm. I rushed to my LFS to get some water, do a massive water change, and tested it today to find the numbers have been cut in half.

Should I just keep doing water changes until I get the levels down or is there something I should add to help with the nitrate and ammonia levels? Did taking out so much water initially, ruin everything?

Please any help would be great. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't freaking out a bit.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank and how long has it been running?

Why did you take out the water to glue down the frags?? If you use a super glue gel like gorilla glue gel you just do it under water. What kind of glue did you use?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any Seachem Prime, that will at least detox the ammonia and nitrite, nitrate for a bit. Maybe that'll give your BB a chance to catch up. Try to find the reason for the spike.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry for your issues. Is there a reason why you took water out of your tank to place corals? Or at least that much? I’m guessing your tank was not fully cycled. More water changes may not help. Will need to let your tank settle and begin maturing. Keep levels stable and continue to check for ammonia until it is undetectable and then try to maintain nitrates at a safe level.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your free amonia nh3 is likely around .112

NH3 level PPM
(mg/L)
From
PPM
(mg/L)
To
safe0.0010.020
alert0.0200.050
alarm0.0500.200
toxic0.2000.500
deadly0.500+

Prime or amquel added to the water to detox it. Maybe a couple small water changes to remove some more amonia.

OP
OP
Miamialum620

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank and how long has it been running?

Why did you take out the water to glue down the frags?? If you use a super glue gel like gorilla glue gel you just do it under water. What kind of glue did you use?

Tank has been up for a 1.5 years (32g Biocube). I just figured it would be easier to glue everything down directly on the rocks plus my clown fishes are jerks and take bites at me. This the glue that I used with some epoxy the way @WWC recommends.
1603582489990.png

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps you could add a bacteria if your tank is fairly new and not really mature enough to handle the amonia added to it.

OP said tank has been running for 1.5 years. Weird that a water drain and fill would kill your bacteria that fast.

Did you dip your corals? If so, how did you rinse to insure that no dip chemicals made it into your tank.

Garf

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps you could add a bacteria if your tank is fairly new and not really mature enough to handle the amonia added to it.
Tank has been up for a 1.5 years (32g Biocube). I just figured it would be easier to glue everything down directly on the rocks plus my clown fishes are jerks and take bites at me. This the glue that I used with some epoxy the way @WWC recommends.
1603582489990.png
Did you use the “INSTA-SET”? I think that stuff is nail polish remover, or something like that.

OP
OP
Miamialum620

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the “INSTA-SET”? I think that stuff is nail polish remover, or something like that.

I did use some of the insta-set when glueing the frag plug to the small epoxy ball. Seen it done through BRS and inappropriate reefer so I figured it was safe.

OP said tank has been running for 1.5 years. Weird that a water drain and fill would kill your bacteria that fast.

Did you dip your corals? If so, how did you rinse to insure that no dip chemicals made it into your tank.

No coral dip used.

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Short description on instaset:

INSTA-SET™ is a catalyst which acts as an accelerator that allows CAs to quickly cure in thick layers by enhancing the alkaline conditions during polymerization. INSTA-SET™ in a spray bottle is normally used to cure the CA that flows from joints when parts are pressed together. Applying an additional bead of thick CA along a seam and then curing it with INSTA-SET™ significantly enhances a joint’s strength. For difficult to bond materials, INSTA-SET™ can be applied to one surface and CA to the opposite surface. When brought together, they will bond instantly. INSTA-SET™ is formulated with a strawberry scent and activates CA in 6 to 8 seconds without any degrading of the CAs strength, which can occur with many other accelerators. It is compatible with all surfaces, even clear plastic and white foam."

Doesnt exactly sound "reef safe"

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glue is the changing factor here. 1.5 years is a mature system and the glue doesnt look like something I've seen before I would look up on the glue and run carbon.

OP
OP
Miamialum620

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking up Prime and amguard before making this post and will be heading to petco in the morning. Not sure which one is better. Should I also add some kind of nitrifying bacteria also like Dr. Tim's?

Last edited:

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The insta set "changes alkaline conditions". Not exactly sure what that means, but have you checked your alkalinity? Big alk swing could explain some if your problem.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That glue is made for model cars and airplanes as well as wood and other materials and is/was likely toxic.
BSI DOES make coral glue but specifically states for coral and reef safe.
Keep changing water and keep testing. Hopefully you have a reliable and accurate test kit.
I recommend also some chemiPure Elite which will reduce nitrate and phosphate and in turn ammonia which is part of the nitrogen cycle.

Here is data:

Revision Number: 02.2 Issue date: 10/2020 1. PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION Product name: Maxi-Cure™ Product type: Cyanoacrylate Restriction of Use: None identified IDH number: 111-114/135-136 Item number: 111-114/135-136 Region: United States 2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION EMERGENCY OVERVIEW WARNING: BONDS SKIN IN SECONDS. COMBUSTIBLE LIQUID. CAUSES EYE IRRITATION. MAY CAUSE RESPIRATORY AND SKIN IRRITATION. HAZARD CLASS HAZARD CATEGORY FLAMMABLE LIQUID 4 EYE IRRITATION 2A SKIN IRRITATION 2

This is what you would have used safely:

1603584230132.png

Last edited:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back