May have damaged Zoa. Advice?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a second ago, I decided to move one of my zoas on a frag to a Zoa garden I designed today. As I was trying to pick up the Zoa, the frag plug didn’t break off and it seems only the coral did. It started releasing something into the water. I moved it to the island for now assuming it would heal. One polyp is open but the other two are closed. Is this coral a goner and should I remove or try to bring it back to life?
image.jpg
image.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Yeah. Do you know if what it was releasing was palytoxin or what?
It probably wasn't releasing paly toxin. Did it squirt from the mouth or drop from the base of the zoa?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Base of zoa
I'd say it's fairly doubtful it was toxin but you might use caution sticking your hands in the tank for a little bit just in case. Typically in my experience when I move Zoas or Palys they tend to have sand and waste stuck to their bases, so it could have been letting go of some of that. Also, if there was flesh left on the frag plug it could have become a new zoa. Unlikely but that is one way they propagate I believe.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it's fairly doubtful it was toxin but you might use caution sticking your hands in the tank for a little bit just in case. Typically in my experience when I move Zoas or Palys they tend to have sand and waste stuck to their bases, so it could have been letting go of some of that. Also, if there was flesh left on the frag plug it could have become a new zoa. Unlikely but that is one way they propagate I believe.
Ok that’s reassuring. I’m not expecting a fast recovery fs but I’m glad there’s light at the end of the tunnel

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! Little things are so freakin expensive some times,. To have one die off just by simply moving it would stink.
My heart sunk when I did it and I thought I just wasted $45. Those are citrus coolers which are basically copy cat sunny Ds but these actually have a few visible differences unlike other names for corals. That’s one is probably my most prized zoa except for my Illuminatis.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My heart sunk when I did it and I thought I just wasted $45. Those are citrus coolers which are basically copy cat sunny Ds but these actually have a few visible differences unlike other names for corals. That’s one is probably my most prized zoa except for my Illuminatis.
I had some Radioactive Dragon Eyes that were doing awesome and putting out new polyps and looking amazing! Then I had to move them to rearrange some of my rockwork and they shrank down to nothing in a matter of days. They were my favorite Zoas....

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some Radioactive Dragon Eyes that were doing awesome and putting out new polyps and looking amazing! Then I had to move them to rearrange some of my rockwork and they shrank down to nothing in a matter of days. They were my favorite Zoas....
That’s sad to here. I hope mine doesn’t reach the same fate but luckily it was only three heads and one looks fine

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good rule of thumb for Zoas: they’re just really mad until you can’t see any color or there skirts. If Zoas are super closed but I can still see a little of their normal disc color they’re probably going to pull through. When they go to little purple nubs I’m in trouble.

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a second ago, I decided to move one of my zoas on a frag to a Zoa garden I designed today. As I was trying to pick up the Zoa, the frag plug didn’t break off and it seems only the coral did. It started releasing something into the water. I moved it to the island for now assuming it would heal. One polyp is open but the other two are closed. Is this coral a goner and should I remove or try to bring it back to life?
image.jpg
image.jpg
They will be fine.. best advice don’t move em around, once settled. Resist the urge! Some are just finicky!

DNKReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well like they say: you’re ready for a reef tank if you can light $100 on fire and not cry

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they will be fine. I dropped a rock directly on one and it survived and here is another post from my build thread:

I managed to slice off half of an AOI polyp with a razor. Of all frags, it had to be the most expensive one! The picture stinks, I know. But in three days it grew back.

Jun 3 b.jpg

1627510862241.png

Back