McArcher's 40B

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is a long time coming. I had my first saltwater tank in the late 80s when I was in high school back when you could still buy dead coral skeletons from Pier One Imports. I had a couple other FOWLR tanks up through the mid 90s and up until about 2004, but never ventured into reeefing until I got the bug again about a year and a half ago. I had a few tank/sump overflows due to an old CPR siphon overflow not repriming after power outages on my last tank which was taken down around 2004 when we moved to a different city.
My wife's memories of that last tank were mostly of the wet floors and not the beauty of the tank, so she was not excited about it when I first mentioned setting up a new tank. To help alleviate her fears, I decided to start small this time and ease her in to the idea of having another tank. I set up a 10 gallon back in October of 2017. I could not believe the changes that had taken place in the hobby since my last tank in 2004. Back then, the ETSS downdraft skimmer was all the rage and compact florescents were actually considered a good option for lighting. Anyway, I set up my tank and ran it until it was too full to fit any more livestock. I bought a 40B at a PETCO $1/gallon sale and slowly started picking up gear to build it out. I finally decided the time was right when we planned a vacation that would take me away from my tank for a week. I was still using my old CPR overflow and was terrified it would lose siphon while I was gone, so the first thing I bought for the tank was an Eshopps Eclipse L overflow. I know it's a little big for the 40B, but I wanted to run a Bean Animal overflow and the smaller Eclipse units only have two returns. I managed to get it set up and running a week before we went on vacation. Before I post any pics of the 40B, I will start with some progression pics to show how I got where I am today.

OP
OP
McArcher

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the first coral I ever bought (December 2016) - frogspawn. You can also see from the pic what has since become the bane of my existence. Since I was new to the coral game, I had no idea the little tube on the stalk was a vermetid snail. I thought it was some kind of tube worm that might be cool to have.
IMG_2075.JPG

OP
OP
McArcher

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of the earliest FTS I took (February 2017). Livestock:
Ocellaris Clown
Purple Firefish
Blasto merletti
Blasto wellsi
Frogspawn x2
RBTA
Sunny D Palys
Acan lord (now micromussa)
IMG_2133.JPG

OP
OP
McArcher

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a month later. I picked up an Acan echinata at a local frag swap (Fragniappe) on the far right right before the pic.
IMG_2204.JPG

OP
OP
McArcher

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little info on the 10 gallon at the time the last pic was taken:
CPR siphon overflow modded to include an emergency overflow
Current USA Orbit IC LED (single strip)
Current USA Eflux wave pumps x2
Current USA Eflux return pump
Tunze 9004 skimmer
Rubbermaid storage container sump

OP
OP
McArcher

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic from June of last year. Additions since the last pic:
Duncan
another Acan - the green one
Rastas
Unkown zoas
The three extra RBTAs are all clones from the original.
As you can see, it was getting a little crowded at this point.
IMG_2289.JPG

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Everything looks really good! Keep up the good work and the awesome pictures!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, that’s for sharing your tank and pictures with us, I love nanos :)

OP
OP
McArcher

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much Kalk are you adding and how often? I have a lot of LPS coral in my tank and am using two part right now but I RARELY ever have to dose the two part on top of my water change schedule

On the tank in the pics (10 gallon), I was mixing 1 tsp powder per gallon in my ato. Evaporation was about 5 cups/day.
After transferring everything to the 40, I cut it back to 1/4 tsp/gallon since the evaporation was much higher and the demand was roughly the same (no additional livestock). Since then (2 months), I have worked up to 3/4 tsp/gallon due to additional demand from new livestock and growth of existing livestock and coralline.

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the tank in the pics (10 gallon), I was mixing 1 tsp powder per gallon in my ato. Evaporation was about 5 cups/day.
After transferring everything to the 40, I cut it back to 1/4 tsp/gallon since the evaporation was much higher and the demand was roughly the same (no additional livestock). Since then (2 months), I have worked up to 3/4 tsp/gallon due to additional demand from new livestock and growth of existing livestock and coralline.

Thanks! I've been wanting to try Kalk for a while but I bought the bulk 2 part from BRS and at my current rate of consumption I have like 6+ years worth of 2 part haha

My only other question is do you have to clean your ATO pump often with the Kalk? I've heard it tends to shorten the line of your ato pump when dosed this way. Not a huge deal I could always order a back up pump

OP
OP
McArcher

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only other question is do you have to clean your ATO pump often with the Kalk? I've heard it tends to shorten the line of your ato pump when dosed this way. Not a huge deal I could always order a back up pump
I have also heard that, but I use a Tom's Aqualifter and have never cleaned it. Then again, I have only been using it for a little over a year.

OP
OP
McArcher

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the time of the last pic above, I realized it would be a while before I had the resources to finish the 40B build, so I built a custom sump for the 10. I made it convertible so you can use it with filter socks or as a Triton method sump without socks. Here is the sketch-up rendering I drew before I built it:
Sump-14x13-triton_.jpg

And here is a pic of it installed and running. I was using an A160 to grow Chaeto. If you want to run it with a filter sock, you can shut off the flow through the lower orifice with the slide gate and the water flows out the upper orifice and to the filter sock which goes where the A160 is in the pic.
sump.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back