Mccosker wrasse maybe ich next steps?

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mccosker wrasse in a 10 gallon QT tank for a week now at 79 degrees 1.025 salinity. Fish is eating very well. I'm new to QT so no treatments so far.

I see what appears to be white spots on the tail fin but not really sure if it's just the pigmentation. I'll try to get a picture.

Can someone please walk me through next steps? I do have a copper Hannah checker recently bought just in case but not sure exactly what to buy and what to do next.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a mccosker wrasse in a 10 gallon QT tank for a week now at 79 degrees 1.025 salinity. Fish is eating very well. I'm new to QT so no treatments so far.

I see what appears to be white spots on the tail fin but not really sure if it's just the pigmentation. I'll try to get a picture.

Can someone please walk me through next steps? I do have a copper Hannah checker recently bought just in case but not sure exactly what to buy and what to do next.
Can be viral requiring no treatment but will need to see pics under white lighting before any assessments can be made

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this? Only visible when the light hits just right.
VideoCapture_20230220-151041.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this? Only visible when the light hits just right.
VideoCapture_20230220-151041.jpg
That isn’t normal coloration - most likely marine ich. Can you see sly similar spots on the body or other fins? If so, you should get a coppersafe or copper power treatment started right away.
Jay

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I only see the spots on the tail, nothing on the body.

If I can find both coppersafe and copper power is one better than the other?

Whats the protocol for a wrasse?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I only see the spots on the tail, nothing on the body.

If I can find both coppersafe and copper power is one better than the other?

Whats the protocol for a wrasse?
I like coppersafe, but they are really pretty similar. You could shoot for a 2 to 2.25 dose.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a ramp up required and then once I reach 2 to 2.5 I hold for 2 weeks?
No ramp up is needed, just two partial doses with mixing and testing in between to ensure accurate dosing. Coppersafe is dosed for 30 days.
Jay

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was doing some reading is there any chance this is lymphocystis since I don't see white spots on the body?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was doing some reading is there any chance this is lymphocystis since I don't see white spots on the body?
It does not look like lmphocystis, but it could be damaged fin rays, thus my question as to if spots are seen elsewhere on the fish. You might want to prepare for the worst, but wait to see if other symptoms develop.
Jay

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, if the spots disappear after a few days is that a stronger indication of ich?

If I don't see new spots can a fish cure itself of ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, if the spots disappear after a few days is that a stronger indication of ich?

If I don't see new spots can a fish cure itself of ich?

That's complicated.

Fish cannot cure themselves of an acute ich infection, that requires some external input: medication or hyposalinity typically. Milder infections can sometimes be "managed" - with low fish density, a UV sterilizer, good diet and very clean water (as well as siphoning off the sand every night) you can sometimes get a mild case to go into remission.

The life cycle of ich means that the spots (trophonts) drop off the fish to reproduce. In early stages, all of the trophonts are the same age, so they tend to drop off at the same time. That leads people to think the disease is "cured" when actually, they just dropped off to reproduce and then new trophonts develop in a few days, in greater numbers and in different locations.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots seem to be changing location on the fins, maybe a few more but I don't see anything on the body. If it isn't ich what else could it be?

Either way I stared copper as recommended. If it is ich would the spots go away after a period of time (realizing the full 30 days are still needed)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots seem to be changing location on the fins, maybe a few more but I don't see anything on the body. If it isn't ich what else could it be?

Either way I stared copper as recommended. If it is ich would the spots go away after a period of time (realizing the full 30 days are still needed)
Copper typically reduces ich spots in 5 days, total clearing by 10 days or so, depending on how severe the infection is.
Jay

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper typically reduces ich spots in 5 days, total clearing by 10 days or so, depending on how severe the infection is.
Jay
Thanks. So if spots are still there in 10 days I guess it's not ich and we go to plan B, whatever that may be.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back