Mean clown fish

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown fish that is a domestic terrorist in my tank. He's done the occasional bullying but as of the last 2-4 weeks he's been just bullying several different fish. Yesterday was the final straw with him as he chased my flame angel all day in and out of caves. So i caught him this morning in the dark with a net and he's in the sump.

Anyone have any luck with putting a clown fish in time out for a set amount of time then add him back in the tank?

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're all a**holes. I'd probably try to re-home him (not sure how well "time-outs" work for clownfish).
Yeah you always seem to hear people talk about being "banished to the sump" or "he's in time out".

That's definitely why I'm asking as I may just git rid of him.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you always seem to hear people talk about being "banished to the sump" or "he's in time out".

That's definitely why I'm asking as I may just git rid of him.
I’d get rid of him for a prettier clown :)

They’re all nasty to some degree but the rarer ones such as Omani, Skunks ect. all seem to be nicer.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mines name is Brutus. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Mine is "Bonnie". Bonnie has a kill count of 25 fish (including one clownfish and one chromis in my tank). She and "Clyde" came as a package deal - but I knew what they were going into it...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish doesn’t have a fancy name… It did and I remember mentioning it on here somewhere but we now just call her Jaws or Bitey.

I’ve only been bitten twice but the second was a fright. My dog decided to run downstairs and bark whilst my hand was in the tank (I was trying to glue corals down near my clown’s home). As soon as the dog barked, I got bitten by the clown.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is "Bonnie". Bonnie has a kill count of 25 fish (including one clownfish and one chromis in my tank). She and "Clyde" came as a package deal - but I knew what they were going into it...
25 FISH :eek: That's a lot of money down the drain. He would have seen the bottom of my boot of it was that many.:face-with-tears-of-joy:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 FISH :eek: That's a lot of money down the drain. He would have seen the bottom of my boot of it was that many.:face-with-tears-of-joy:
Not my fish (all very nice clownfish apparently). :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

As I said, I knew the demons they were before they even came into my LFS on consignment (cost me $100). They don't bite me and they generally stick to the condy anemone - so they're actually serving a purpose now (keeping stupid fish away from it).

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they might start off nice. I have 2 pairs. One is 12 years or so. The others are only around 4-5 years old. Only the older pair ever bit me. And only because I was using a brush to clean off some rocks (apparently with eggs on it, my bad). And after being more careful for a few years I no longer get bitten. the younger pair is in a tank with large fish and they stay in their corner and have been perfect. I don't think putting it in time out would help.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back