Measurements

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is now ready for corals. The ‘Reef Care Recipes’ seemed a logical way to go but it talks about supplementing Calcium, alkalinity and magnesium daily - I assume a dosing set up would be ideal but that isn’t within my budget at the moment. I’ve read I should check my levels weekly but based on their directions I assume I need to check daily as I wouldn’t want to be adding supplements without the need to replace lost elements would I?

I have my clean up crew, and fish, all going well and the water is stable - hence why I say I’m ready to add corals. I’m very keen to have the water perimeters perfect as want to keep corals I like as opposed to just the basic options (Mushrooms etc). As I understand it if I get levels optimum I should be able to keep most things - however, maintaining ‘optimum’ is why I’m asking the above question.
Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many corals and how big they are will determine what is tooken out of the water. How big a tank? I have a 40g all in one and do 5 gallon water changes once a week never have to dose I stay stable 450 ca 9 dkh 1400 mg with 14 newish corals

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you need to figure out your daily consumption rate. Don't dose anything for 7 days and test your water perimeters (i.e. calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity) same time everyday and compare it the previous days test. See how much your tank is consuming on a daily basis. My personal favorite and honestly had the best success is with Aqua Forest 3 part solution. You dose all 3 components evenly each day. Super Easy and effective! It also has fundamental trace elements that many products out there don't offer.

My aquarium perimeters as follows (Most important is to choose where you want these to land and keep consistent, corals must have stable conditions to thrive.)
ALK - 8.5-9
CALCIUM - 450-470
MAGNESIUM - 1400-1450

Good luck!

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you need to figure out your daily consumption rate. Don't dose anything for 7 days and test your water perimeters (i.e. calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity) same time everyday and compare it the previous days test. See how much your tank is consuming on a daily basis. My personal favorite and honestly had the best success is with Aqua Forest 3 part solution. You dose all 3 components evenly each day. Super Easy and effective! It also has fundamental trace elements that many products out there don't offer.

My aquarium perimeters as follows (Most important is to choose where you want these to land and keep consistent, corals must have stable conditions to thrive.)
ALK - 8.5-9
CALCIUM - 450-470
MAGNESIUM - 1400-1450

Good luck!
Thanks - having bought all the Redsea stuff I’ll use and see how it goes. Your daily consumption rate is so logical I’m embarrassed! Thanks for advice.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many corals and how big they are will determine what is tooken out of the water. How big a tank? I have a 40g all in one and do 5 gallon water changes once a week never have to dose I stay stable 450 ca 9 dkh 1400 mg with 14 newish corals
My tank is a Reefer170 - I’m replicating a tank that is in my LFS. I’m doing a similar water change weekly at the moment. Having taken a Calcium reading today it’s low. My Alkalinity is also a little lower,at 8.1, than I want so I’m going to add some supplements to raise them gradually and then look to sustain.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a Reefer170 - I’m replicating a tank that is in my LFS. I’m doing a similar water change weekly at the moment. Having taken a Calcium reading today it’s low. My A

ALK - 8.5-9
CALCIUM - 450-470
MAGNESIUM - 1400-1450

Good luck!
sorry - can I ask if you have a mixed reef? Does magnesium have no impact on fish? Redsea recommend 1100 for fish only but up to 1350 for mixed. Thanks

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a mixed reef SPS dominate. Honestly running slightly higher calcium and magnesium levels with an Alkalinity of 8.5-9dkh has works best for overall growth and color vibrancy in my reef aquariums and many others have reported the same success. I've done hours upon hours of reading about coral growth in reef aquariums and this is where I landed. The most important component to all of this is stable and consistent conditions. Once you find that sweet spot stick with it and your corals and fish will be happy campers.

Here is a perimeter chart for you as well.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 11.34.14 AM.png

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a mixed reef SPS dominate. Honestly running slightly higher calcium and magnesium levels with an Alkalinity of 8.5-9dkh has works best for overall growth and color vibrancy in my reef aquariums and many others have reported the same success. I've done hours upon hours of reading about coral growth in reef aquariums and this is where I landed. The most important component to all of this is stable and consistent conditions. Once you find that sweet spot stick with it and your corals and fish will be happy campers.

Here is a perimeter chart for you as well.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 11.34.14 AM.png
That’s great - thanks

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.7%
Back