Meat Coral

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what happened. I had a beautiful 10" Meat Coral in my 125 for about 6 weeks - no major changes from week to week for testing. No changes in flow or lighting. It was huge and puffy and in the last 2 days it has basically melted down to the skeleton. Towards the end of last week we had a power outage while we were at work and came home to our lights running at 100% on all colors - not sure how long they were running that high but a couple of our platygras are a little bleached as is the favia. I am not sure if there is anything I can do to save it. It looks awful.

Temp 80.4
Salinity 1.024
pH 8.0
Calcium 458
Magnesium 1400
Alk 9.016
Nitrate - a bit high at 48
Phosphate .12
Iodine .03
Strontium 10

Recently put our ATS back online due to the Nitrate and Phosphate climbing while the Chaeto melted away.

I target feed it along with the plate coral and lobo once a week a mix of reef roids, mysis and brine. I dose phyto and zooplankton 3 times a week. I dose Reef Energy AB+ twice a week. I dose Phosphate E once a week - same day as the reef roids.

Dosing ATI Essentials PRO via auto-doser to maintain alk, calcium and magnesium. ATO is RO/DI via drip about 2 gallons per day. TDS is 0 on the RO/DI.

Fish are heavily stocked as listed below. I feed 5 cubes of frozen daily Ocean Nutrition (I buy the 2lb mixed box of cubes from Marine Depot). Also feed Nori daily (about 1/4 sheet of restaurant grade purchased on Amazon)

Starry Blenny
Blue Legged Hermit Crab
Knobby Brittlestar
Misbar Black Occellaris
Banghai Cardinal
Black Sailfin Blenny
Wyoming White Clown
Male Melanurus Wrasse
Wide Barred Shrimp Goby
Japanese Swallowtail Angel
Cube Boxfish - committed suicide this week when he finally figured out how to jump out of the water and landed on the overflow cover instead of back in the tank
Sailfin Tang
Money Cowrie
Cleaner Wrasse
Firefish
Six Line Wrasse
Female Melanurus Wrasse
Red Linicka Starfish - died this week - legs were falling off so I pulled it out before it actually died
Striped Dottyback
Royal Gramma
Watermelon Goby
Bicolor Goatfish
Citron Goby
Matted Green Filefish

3 Rock Boring Urchins
Various Snails as CUC

2 Peppermint Shrimp in Sump - too many wrasses to keep shrimp in DT
10 Red Leg Hermit Crabs in Sump - cleaning up leftovers

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what happened. I had a beautiful 10" Meat Coral in my 125 for about 6 weeks - no major changes from week to week for testing. No changes in flow or lighting. It was huge and puffy and in the last 2 days it has basically melted down to the skeleton. Towards the end of last week we had a power outage while we were at work and came home to our lights running at 100% on all colors - not sure how long they were running that high but a couple of our platygras are a little bleached as is the favia. I am not sure if there is anything I can do to save it. It looks awful.

Temp 80.4
Salinity 1.024
pH 8.0
Calcium 458
Magnesium 1400
Alk 9.016
Nitrate - a bit high at 48
Phosphate .12
Iodine .03
Strontium 10

Recently put our ATS back online due to the Nitrate and Phosphate climbing while the Chaeto melted away.

I target feed it along with the plate coral and lobo once a week a mix of reef roids, mysis and brine. I dose phyto and zooplankton 3 times a week. I dose Reef Energy AB+ twice a week. I dose Phosphate E once a week - same day as the reef roids.

Dosing ATI Essentials PRO via auto-doser to maintain alk, calcium and magnesium. ATO is RO/DI via drip about 2 gallons per day. TDS is 0 on the RO/DI.

Fish are heavily stocked as listed below. I feed 5 cubes of frozen daily Ocean Nutrition (I buy the 2lb mixed box of cubes from Marine Depot). Also feed Nori daily (about 1/4 sheet of restaurant grade purchased on Amazon)

Starry Blenny
Blue Legged Hermit Crab
Knobby Brittlestar
Misbar Black Occellaris
Banghai Cardinal
Black Sailfin Blenny
Wyoming White Clown
Male Melanurus Wrasse
Wide Barred Shrimp Goby
Japanese Swallowtail Angel
Cube Boxfish - committed suicide this week when he finally figured out how to jump out of the water and landed on the overflow cover instead of back in the tank
Sailfin Tang
Money Cowrie
Cleaner Wrasse
Firefish
Six Line Wrasse
Female Melanurus Wrasse
Red Linicka Starfish - died this week - legs were falling off so I pulled it out before it actually died
Striped Dottyback
Royal Gramma
Watermelon Goby
Bicolor Goatfish
Citron Goby
Matted Green Filefish

3 Rock Boring Urchins
Various Snails as CUC

2 Peppermint Shrimp in Sump - too many wrasses to keep shrimp in DT
10 Red Leg Hermit Crabs in Sump - cleaning up leftovers
Also most meat corals like cooler water 80 is a little high

OP
OP
Trouble1375

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C94C6B68-BBD1-4ED4-8759-697418A47CFC.jpeg
image.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back