Media filter

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought an aqua medic multi filter for use with carbon. I was advised I could use my Red Sea carbon but the instructions clearly state to use 4mm. I’ve ordered some but in the meantime can I use my Red Sea in a bag in the unit? No one appears to on any of pictures/videos on the net so I’m wondering if the use of a bag is in some way detrimental to the flow?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought an aqua medic multi filter for use with carbon. I was advised I could use my Red Sea carbon but the instructions clearly state to use 4mm. I’ve ordered some but in the meantime can I use my Red Sea in a bag in the unit? No one appears to on any of pictures/videos on the net so I’m wondering if the use of a bag is in some way detrimental to the flow?

it will definitely have an impact on the flow but if it still works then go for it.

I would just wait for the correct size carbon and just put the bag in the sump, carbon doesn’t have to be in a filter.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will definitely have an impact on the flow but if it still works then go for it.

I would just wait for the correct size carbon and just put the bag in the sump, carbon doesn’t have to be in a filter.
From looking into it it seems more efficient to run it through a filter. Thinking about it I also assume the smaller the particles of carbon the more efficient too? Makes me wonder whether running smaller particles through a mesh bag would be better than big particles not in one?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From looking into it it seems more efficient to run it through a filter. Thinking about it I also assume the smaller the particles of carbon the more efficient too? Makes me wonder whether running smaller particles through a mesh bag would be better than big particles not in one?

if too small you will have issues with them breaking up, a lot of people prefer just using a bag for carbon for that reason, carbon is very efficient anyway, as long as the water gets to it in a high flow area it works.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back