Media for Nitrates?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aspect
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2022
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
846
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wondering what media people use for Nitrate control. My nitrates hover around 40, but I'd like to get them around 10.
 
I tried Sea Chem matrix and ne*nitrate in a media chamber, and didn’t see much change in 6 weeks or so, so I started dosing homemade No-pox. Two weeks will be Wednesday and I’ll see how it is progressing.
 
I tried Sea Chem matrix and ne*nitrate in a media chamber, and didn’t see much change in 6 weeks or so, so I started dosing homemade No-pox. Two weeks will be Wednesday and I’ll see how it is progressing.
I seen crushed coral is really effective and also raises ph/calcium in the tank. I can't find that anywhere though.
 
There are nitrate pads but I haven't used them. I think that the only media that is highly effective would be biopellets but these require a reactor (and a skimmer)
 
Honestly I dont think there is any media that can instantly decrease nitrate. your best bet is to do a large waterchange. you should also add more bio media that can increase bio filtration for future nitrates.
 
I seen crushed coral is really effective and also raises ph/calcium in the tank. I can't find that anywhere though.
Wouldn't that just be calcium carbonate?
Add bacteria. They convert nitrates into nitrogen gas.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new