Media for sump

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to remove a marinepure block to save space in the sump and replace it with the product attached. Any thoughts on using this product? Marinepure blocks is falling apart and taking too much space.

Thx a lot for your time

Screenshot_20221030-184956_Amazon Shopping.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i’m not sure about this exact product but @telegraham uses this or something similar in shape and did an ICP test to confirm if it leeches anything (which it didn’t)

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m not sure about this exact product but @telegraham uses this or something similar in shape and did an ICP test to confirm if it leeches anything (which it didn’t)
Thanks I am not growing sps or acros and never did an icp. Just want something that doesnt nuke the the tank and would do some dentrification..

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be working too hard. (less is more?) I'm assuming you have rock in the DT? That's really all you need. Don't overfeed, don't overstock etc, etc. GL.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be working too hard. (less is more?) I'm assuming you have rock in the DT? That's really all you need.
Not really. I just removed my algae scrubber (taking too much space). Dont want to remove the marinepure block without replacing it with media and using it to see the media first.canyshpck the system due to high bio load, makes sense?

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

Couldn't you just get rid of the sump altogether?

"high bio load" What are your Nitrates at? This is usually an indicator of "how hard" your filter is working. Sometimes that filter itself can be the problem. I like to let things float freely. My rock, aside from everything else that is submerged is the filter. When I stir things up during a water change then I'll insert some media, other that that I like to let nature take it's course. (unhindered) GL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

"high bio load" What are your Nitrates at? This is usually an indicator of "how hard" your filter is working. Sometimes that filter itself can be the problem. I like to let things float freely. My rock, aside from everything else that is submerged is the filter. When I stir things up during a water change then I'll insert some media, other that that I like to let nature take it's course. (unhindered) GL.
Then let's keep the thread on track, apologies but dont want the thread to be into a parameter drill.

Nitrates are 20ppm with all the filtration I have (if that helps).

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

Get rid of the sump? What an odd suggestion :thinking-face:

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to remove a marinepure block to save space in the sump and replace it with the product attached. Any thoughts on using this product? Marinepure blocks is falling apart and taking too much space.

Thx a lot for your time

Screenshot_20221030-184956_Amazon Shopping.jpg
My plan for any new ceramic media going forward is to "cure" it in freshwater, then saltwater for a few weeks, and test the saltwater via ICP before using it. ATI ICP tests have two included, one for the tank and one for your RO/DI, I was gonna use the "free" RO/DI one as a way to test stuff like that while getting the tank water tested.

But frankly I think the concern about ceramic media is overblown, especially if this isn't an SPS tank. I am just cautious.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Are you talking about the attached?
I thought I read comments that it is only for freshwater
I'm talking about this - https://a.co/0mAZKNv

Hygger suggests that nitrites will increase. Mine have dropped. There were also comments that Al would increase. ICP suggests that's inaccurate. I currently have no concerns about using this product in a reef tank.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm talking about this - https://a.co/0mAZKNv

Hygger suggests that nitrites will increase. Mine have dropped. There were also comments that Al would increase. ICP suggests that's inaccurate. I currently have no concerns about using this product in a reef tank.
Yes that is the product. Not concerned about aluminum but more about nitrites and nitrates reduction.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is the product. Not concerned about aluminum but more about nitrites and nitrates reduction.
I think this type of media does well with ammonia and nitrites (so basically nitrification), but not sure about nitrates. Porous media like this is generally good for bacterial growth/colonization, including supporting carbon dosing.

The bigger blocks of media (say the 12x12 blocks of marine pure) typically have claims about nitrates, and I believe the assumption is similar to deep inside live rocks, or deep sand beds (and anaerobic zones), but I honestly have not seen data on how effective they are for nitrate reduction.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back