Media Reactor keeps getting clogged...

  • Thread starter Thread starter ps2cho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ps2cho

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2014
Messages
881
Reaction score
270
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a media reactor thinking that this thing was going to help me out...

Well after a few days flow slows to a crawl. I almost think throwing the bag in the sump is just as good because after flow slows down to a trickle whats it even worth in a fluidizer anyway??
I have the Spectrapure Dual Media Reactor.

What do you guys do to keep them clean, or modify it so its less hassle?
 
That is why you buy an Nextreef MR1 and not have these problems. What do you have in the reactor?
 
I've spent a lot of money on cheap reactors trying to find a moderately priced reactor that works effectively. Some pieces of equipment you just have to pay up to get acceptable quality. Media reactors are in that category IMO. I'm not one that enjoys over spending, so I'm not advocating buying top of the line equipment when not needed. Do your research and buy just once, quality media reactors should not clog quickly.
 
The general construction looks like the BRS dual chamber reactor.
What kind of media are you running?

You may have more success running just GFO and put less in each chamber.
Installing a prefilter on the pump should help it go longer between cleanings.
 
Just running carbon right now.

I have always trusted Spectrapure for their RODI units...
 
The reactor looks like a proven design.
Only thing I can suggest is to add a prefilter to your influent pump.
The pre-filter is going to be easier to clean than taking the filter apart every few days.

Also if you did not know you do not want to "fluidize" granular activate carbon...(gac).
For gac the goal is to get as much water through the reactor up to just below the point it starts to tumble.

You will have to tinker with the reactor to find the right mix of prefilter and flow rate to "dial it in".
Just a matter of trial and error really.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new