Media reactors, necessary or not?

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting up a 30 gallon AIO Reef tank. I have already been advised that I will need a nano protein skimmer. How important are media reactors? If necessary, which ones are most important since space is limited in my AIO sump. I have 3 chambers. I suppose I could rely on my live rock for biological filtration and remove the large bag of ceramic rings in my middle chamber which would free up some space for a variety of components which would include the skimmer and any other necessary items.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the love of god do not buy the Tunze 9001 Protein Skimmer. I have it and hate the thing

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! There's some great people here with loads of knowledge. If this is your first tank, I'd suggest starting your reef with only fish and try to get it very stable before introducing corals. You can start without a skimmer and see if your WC schedule keeps up with nutrients. If you're not satisfied, then you can add a skimmer later. By then you may even have an opinion of what skimmer you'd like to try. When I started, I found it was easiest to start with fish only but monitor my tank as if I was keeping corals. Once I had my levels stable, I knew adding corals would be successful. That's not to say I didn't have some loses at first but I was overly optimistic of what could be kept by a beginner in a new tank.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media reactors just hold media (GFO, GAC, biopellets, etc). You only need a media reactor if you need one of those types of media.

So the real question should be if you need GFO, GAC, or any other media that might fit into a reactor. The answer depends on how your tank behaves after it's up and running.

I would personally not buy any reactors until you need them. Even if you end up needing GAC or GFO, these can be run successfully (although not 100% efficiently) in media bags.

OP
OP
F

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media reactors just hold media (GFO, GAC, biopellets, etc). You only need a media reactor if you need one of those types of media.

So the real question should be if you need GFO, GAC, or any other media that might fit into a reactor. The answer depends on how your tank behaves after it's up and running.

I would personally not buy any reactors until you need them. Even if you end up needing GAC or GFO, these can be run successfully (although not 100% efficiently) in media bags.
Thanks for your input. I think I will hold off on any additional components until I am certain what is needed after keeping the tank running for awhile.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting up a 30 gallon AIO Reef tank. I have already been advised that I will need a nano protein skimmer. How important are media reactors? If necessary, which ones are most important since space is limited in my AIO sump. I have 3 chambers. I suppose I could rely on my live rock for biological filtration and remove the large bag of ceramic rings in my middle chamber which would free up some space for a variety of components which would include the skimmer and any other necessary items.

With a tank that size you don't need a protein skimmer provided you don't overfeed, change the water frequently (ie once a week) and stay on top of filter changes. I wouldn't use ceramic rings either. Something with a GFO mix would probably be best for your tank (ie Chemipure Elite).

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a skimmer I'd go with a 9004 tunze -- it's much better. I would also say you don't need a reactor because a simple bag with the media would be JUST fine. I never need to use a reactor on my tank and it's just shy of twice the size and full of delicate SPS.

OP
OP
F

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a tank that size you don't need a protein skimmer provided you don't overfeed, change the water frequently (ie once a week) and stay on top of filter changes. I wouldn't use ceramic rings either. Something with a GFO mix would probably be best for your tank (ie Chemipure Elite).
I talked to my lfs today, and he said more or less the same thing. He suggested keeping my sponge in chamber 1 for some mechanical filtration and getting rid of my ceramic rings in chamber 2 and replace them with live rock rubble and a bag of chemi pure blue. If need be in the future, I could also place a protein skimmer somewhere in chamber 2, or get a very compact air driven skimmer and place it in chamber 3. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
F

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a skimmer I'd go with a 9004 tunze -- it's much better. I would also say you don't need a reactor because a simple bag with the media would be JUST fine. I never need to use a reactor on my tank and it's just shy of twice the size and full of delicate SPS.
Thanks. I think I am going to hold off on the skimmer for now until I find that it is necessary.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I think I am going to hold off on the skimmer for now until I find that it is necessary.

Truthfully, while nobody needs anything in this hobby -- I would say skimmers are essential.

- Do you plan having corals? -- Skimmers increase the pH in water, increasing coral growth.
- Do you plan to have fish? -- Skimmers aerate the water significantly more than any other process -- this is especially important in hot weather as the tank becomes oxygen starved.

Of course some people get on just fine without a skimmer. I would still argue just having the skimmer not actually removing any skimmate is STILL an amazing tool for the reef.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Forkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truthfully, while nobody needs anything in this hobby -- I would say skimmers are essential.

- Do you plan having corals? -- Skimmers increase the pH in water, increasing coral growth.
- Do you plan to have fish? -- Skimmers aerate the water significantly more than any other process -- this is especially important in hot weather as the tank becomes oxygen starved.

Of course some people get on just fine without a skimmer. I would still argue just having the skimmer not actually reming any skimmate is STILL an amazing tool for the reef.
Good to know. I think I am going to start out wit Reef safe nano fish and eventually work in some corals.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are the only reactors you need with a small tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back